Get yer polls, bets, numbers & pretty graphs! Elections 2008

blatham

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:02 pm
Here's an astouning number, reported tonight (well, first I've heard it) by Rachel Maddow on MSNBC.

The previous caucus in Hawaii four years ago drew 4000 Democrats.
The caucus this year drew 37,000.

Hometown boy, but still.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:13 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Great analysis, Nimh.

Thanks, Fbaezer!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 09:41 pm
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/hendrikhertzberg

February 21, 2008

Hillary's Challenge

After I complained a couple of weeks ago about having to add up the Democrats' popular-vote numbers myself, lots of readers came to the rescue, pointing me to Web sites I'd been too clueless to find on my own.

There's a very good one at RealClearPolitics.com, which is kept up to date. A week old but more fine-grained is this, kept by Chris Bowers at OpenLeft.com. Thanks to all who wised me up.

Here are the latest RealClearPolitics numbers, including the totals from Wisconsin and Hawaii (margins and percentages supplied by me):

Not counting Florida and Michigan:

Obama: 10,234,964 (52.3%)
Clinton: 9,324,418 (47.7%)
Obama's margin: 910,550

With Florida:

Obama: 10,811,178(51.5%)
Clinton: 10,195,404 (48.5%)
Obama's margin: 615,770

With Florida and Michigan:

Obama: 10,811,178 (50.7%)
Clinton: 10,523,713 (49.3%)
Obama's margin: 287,460

Keep in mind that these percentages refer to the two-person totals only. Votes cast for Edwards and others in the earlier primaries (and the later ones, for that matter) are left out of the calculations. If they were included, neither Obama nor Clinton would have an absolute majority.

O.K., what does it all mean?

Well, nothing, in a legalistic sense. It's delegates who do the nominating, and both candidates' strategies have been designed to accumulate as many of them as possible, not to amass the largest number of individual votes.

By the same logic, Gore's half-million-vote popular-vote margin in 2000 also meant nothing. And it means nothing that more Florida voters went to the polls to vote for Gore than to vote for Bush.

Democrats, however, do not believe that these things meant and mean nothing. The 2000 election was decided by the superdelegates of the Electoral College. And the decision in the Electoral College was engineered by a junta of five Supreme Superdelegates, in defiance of the will of the citizenry. Democrats remember this. They may have "moved on," but they haven't "got over it," and they never will.

That is why I believe that even though the popular vote in the primaries and caucuses technically "doesn't count," it will be politically dispositive.

Let's look down the road a bit. In 2004, Democratic turnout in Texas, Ohio, and Pennsylvania combined was about three million. We can reasonably expect that it will be about 20 per cent higher this year, or about 3,600,000.

For Clinton to even the popular score, she needs to win those three states by a collective 54 to 46 per cent, or 8 points. That's unlikely but not inconceivable. However, this calculation includes the votes Clinton got in Michigan (where Obama was not on the ballot) and the totals for Florida (where no one campaigned). Including these, especially Michigan's, is politically and morally dubious.

If Florida's votes are counted but not Michigan's, then Clinton needs to carry Texas, Ohio, and Pennsylvania by 59 per cent to 41 per cent, or 17 points, in order to match Obama's vote totals. And if results from both Florida and Michigan are excluded, she needs to win by 62 per cent to 38 per cent. Margins like these do not seem within the realm of possibility.

One more number. In this year's Democratic primaries, the equivalent of Al Gore's national popular-vote margin in the 2000 general election would be around 125,000 votes. So if the final difference between Clinton and Obama is more than that, it will be awkward, to say the least, for the superdelegates to take it upon themselves to reverse the voters' choice.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 10:22 pm
Kind of funny Butrflynet that we didn't see any of these types of articles when Clinton was winning the popular vote (about a week ago).

It apparently didn't mean very much then, but now that Rev. Obama is winning the popular vote, it makes all the difference.

******* 2faced...#$%^#
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 01:22 am
You might want to look back in the threads. A few posts included the populous numbers showing Clinton ahead and, if memory serves, you even participated in the brief discussion of them. It was during the time we were all first beginning to talk about the convention, FL and MI, the populous count vs. delegate count and how difficult it was to get an accurate delegate count since so many media outlets all had differing numbers.

Why didn't you post any yourself if they had importance for a Clinton supporter?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 03:31 pm
So Ralph Nader has announced that he is running as a third party candidate for President. My initial response was "Is he still alive?"
This guy has been around forever, tilting at windmills.
Ron Paul has played the role of Don Quixote this time around, but that ain't going to stop Nader.
And he will get some votes in the general election. How many? Not too many, but if Paul pulls out..."
Who will he take votes away from?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 12:15 pm
Lines meet in TX. Not a good sign for Hillary.

http://www.pollster.com/08TXPresDems600.png

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 12:29 pm
That's nice to see!

I'm far more optimistic about Texas than Ohio. Obama's cutting into her lead here but it's still a sizable lead.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 12:33 pm
sozobe wrote:
That's nice to see!

I'm far more optimistic about Texas than Ohio. Obama's cutting into her lead here but it's still a sizable lead.

He only needs to win one of them; she needs to win both. So, advantage to Obama!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 02:01 pm
I saw that graph too, but noticed that the most recent poll was done by ARG... arg! Hopefully they've got the trend direction correct if not the magnitude.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 11:07 am
Okay, so, I didn't realize how dynamic those pictures from Pollster are! If you look above, you'll see that they have not only met, but crossed.

CNN and Survey USA both have Obama up by 4 in TX now.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 12:07 pm
I think that after next Tuesday, Hillary will stand down.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 12:12 pm
blatham wrote:
I think that after next Tuesday, Hillary will stand down.

Me too. And it would satisfy my earlier prediction nicely Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 06:26 pm
Jonathan Chait writes: Sozobe was right all along!

OK, he didnt. But he might as well have :wink:

Quote:
Mmm... Latte

My TRB column in this issue is about the class split between Clinton and Obama supporters. One of the side points I made (which others have made as well) is that the split is an artifact of the split between high- and low-education voters, rather than a function of economic class per se:

there's no particular reason to think her working-class support has anything to do with policy. Clinton's economic positions are no more populist than Obama's. Her downscale support long preceded her populist rhetorical turn and seems to be an artifact of downscale voters spending less time consuming political news, and therefore gravitating toward the more familiar candidate. Obama has done better with working-class voters in states where he has had time to campaign extensively. His worst loss (aside from Arkansas) came in Florida, where no campaigning took place. In Iowa, where the candidates achieved total saturation, he defeated Clinton among low-income voters.
I bring this up because today CNN has a new Texas poll which shows, among other things, that voters who watched the last debate are dramatcallty more pro-Obama:

"Among the one-third of Texas Democratic primary voters who watched all or most of the debate, Obama leads Clinton by 20 points," said CNN senior political analyst Bill Schneider. "Among the 42 percent who followed news about the debate, Clinton and Obama are neck and neck. And among the one-quarter of Texas Democrats who paid no attention to the debate, Clinton leads Obama by nearly 20 points. "Is this because Obama appeals to better-educated Democrats and they were more likely to watch the debate? No. Even among college-educated Democrats, the more attention you paid to the debate, the better Obama does."
This is certainly more evidence that high-education voters favor Obama not because there's something effete and latte-ish about his campaign, but because voters who pay more attention to the campaign tend to favor him, because he's just a better politician.

--Jonathan Chait

Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 9:49 PM
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 06:39 pm
Talking about Soz - I think she dropped this link already in another thread, but it should be here:

Quote:
The Differences Between Ohio and Wisconsin

Pollster.com
February 22, 2008

Why does Ohio's Democratic primary electorate seem so different from Wisconsin's? Barack Obama led narrowly in most of the surveys conducted earlier this month in Wisconsin before Tuesday's primary election, but has trailed in Ohio by margins varying from 21 to 7 points in recent weeks. What explains the difference?

Most observers consider Ohio a better state for Clinton than Texas, larger because of the large portion of downscale white voters in Ohio who have been a crucial base of support for Clinton throughout the primaries. That characteristic is one reason why the results of the Wisconsin exit polls among less-educated white voters caught my eye on Tuesday night. To recap the analysis posted by ABC News:

Less-educated whites have been a core group for Clinton; in previous primaries combined she's won those who lack a college degree by 30 points, while Obama's won college-educated whites. In Wisconsin, however, Obama won less-educated whites, 52-47 percent, while crushing Clinton among the better-educated. That is Obama's best showing among less-educated whites in any primary to date.
I am an Ohio native, so I know that Ohio and Wisconsin are demographically and culturally more similar than they are different. I put the following table together with statistics gathered from the U.S. Census and the Almanac of Politics. Ohio has a bigger "urban" population (77.3% vs 68.3%), a larger African American population (12% vs. 6%), while Wisconsin has a slightly higher median income ($46.1K) than Ohio ($43.3K). Otherwise, the demographics of their adult populations are remarkably similar.

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/02-22%20population.jpg

Of course, our real interest is the smaller population of primary voters, that sometimes varies across elections. As a percentage of eligible adults, Wisconsin's Democratic primary turnout this year (27%) was larger than four years ago (21%) and one of the largest so far this year. Ohio's Democratic primary had lower turnout in 2004 (14% of adults), partly because the nomination contest was essentially over by the time Ohio voted.

Wisconsin's primary is also more "open" than Ohio's. Wisconsin has same day registration, and both the Democratic and Republican candidates are listed on the same ballot, so Wisconsin voters can choose a primary in the secrecy of the voting booth. Ohio lacks formal party registration, so their primary is "semi-open." Registered voters who have never voted in a primary before can show up participate in the Democratic primary simply by showing up at their polling place and "publicly" requesting a Democratic ballot (those who have previously voted in Republican primaries have to "complete a statement" at the polling place that confirms their change in affiliation).

The following table shows some key comparisons of the exit polls from Ohio four years ago to the results from Wisconsin from both 2004 and 2008. Two differences stand out: African-Americans were a greater share of the Ohio electorate four years ago (18%) than in Wisconsin this week (8%), a difference that should work in Obama's favor. On the other hand, Ohio had more Democratic identifiers (72%) than Wisconsin either last week (62%) or four years ago (62%), a difference that benefits Clinton in Ohio (remember, party identification is not party registration -- the exit poll question asks: "how you usually think of yourself?"). Otherwise, the states look similar. Less-educated white voters are roughly half of each electorate as measured by the exit polls in each state.

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/02-22%20exit%20poll%20composition.jpg

So why has Clinton doing so much better in Ohio polls than she did in Wisconsin on Tuesday? The answer, for the moment, appears to stem mostly from her continuing strength among Ohio's downscale white Democrats. In Wisconsin, as noted above, Obama ran slightly ahead of Clinton among less-educated white voters. However, in both the Quinnipiac poll conducted two weeks ago and the ABC/Washington Post poll done earlier this week, Clinton continues to hold an enormous lead among less-educated white voters. Obama's better overall performance on the more recent ABC/Post survey results mostly from a stronger showing among African-Americans and college educated whites (and perhaps from the typically smaller undecided percentage that by the ABC/Post survey).

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/02-22%20vote%20by%20demos.jpg

These results show the potential for Obama if he can even partially replicate the inroads made into Clinton's base in Wisconsin. Some of Obama's Wisconsin success owes to the larger proportion of non-Democrats there. However, a roughly 10-point difference in the independent percentage alone cannot explain the more than 20 point difference in preference for Obama. Consider this: If Ohio's demographic composition from 2004 holds, if Obama and Clinton win their usual margins among black and Latino voters, and if Obama defeats Clinton by 10 points among college educated whites, he can win Ohio by cutting Clinton's lead among less-educated whites to 20 points.

Given the exit poll numbers from Wisconsin, that result does not seem far-fetched. What do you think? Is that result a real possibility? And putting the hypotheticals aside, why does Clinton run stronger in Ohio than in Wisconsin among downscale whites? Can she maintain that advantage through March 2?

(Thanks for Alan Abramowitz, Jon Cohen of the Washington Post and Doug Schwartz of Quinnipiac University for providing some of the data above).

-- Mark Blumenthal

February 22, 2008 in The 2008 Race
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 07:28 pm
:-D

(Yep, shoulda put the Pollster thing here, thanks for bringing it.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 07:35 pm
More on the differences between Ohio and Wisconsin (or whether they even apply)

------------------------------------

Theory 1: Dont look at demography: it's about timing and exposure

The comments section to that Pollster.com post above also has an unusual volume of really interesting responses.

First, several point out things that neatly go with Chait's "Soz was right" item. Maybe, Chait's item suggests, Obama isnt polling as well among downscale whites in Ohio as he did in Wisconsin just because it is (or was, at the time) still two weeks out from the elections. High-education voters tend to also be high-information voters, who are already pretty aware of the stories and pictures of the race two weeks out. African-Americans are also more likely to have gotten informed about Obama relatively early on. But downscale whites are low-information voters with no a priori reason to dig into Obama the candidate, so they are presumably the last to catch up. And the numbers from previous primaries suggest that, the more they catch up, the more they veer away from the standard choice (Hillary).

The first several responses to the pollster item echo this line of thought in some ways. "In nearly ever state, Obama has skyrocketed in the polls in the last week or two before the election as people start to pay attention and candidates and staff and ads start showing up," says one; "In every state where Obama's put his feet on the ground and been able to campaign significantly, his share's gone upwards incredibly fast," says another. "Three reasons for the difference in the two states: 1) Time, 2) Time, and 3)Time," writes another: "Time for campaigning, time for ads to play, time for people to get involved (not everyone has nothing to do but follow politics) etc, etc."

Obama's campaign has the boots on the ground to spread the message - see that Time story I posted on the Obama thread. "It's the ground game," says a commenter; "Obama has put together a ground operation and GOTV effort in every state. Clinton, on the other hand, expected to have the nomination wrapped up by Super Tuesday. There was no game plan after that." And the Teamsters and the United Food & Commercial Workers union have just endorsed Obama: "Who gets the voters out to the polls? Sixty thousand Teamster households in Ohio don't hurt!"

What's more, several posters point out, Obama has the funding edge that's especially important in these last two weeks before the elections:

This looks to me like a matter of spending schedules. The closest poll [in Wisconsin] in terms of time frame to the Post/ABC poll [for Ohio] is the Feb 6-7 ARG poll, which showed Clinton up 50-41. That looks pretty close to the 50-43 result [in the WaPo/ABC Ohio poll]. I mean, he outspent her 5-1 in Wisconsin (and from everything I've heard, it should be about 3-1 in Ohio). It doesn't make any sense to compare polls from two weeks out with election day results when the spending is so lopsided. Public opinion doesn't happen in a vacuum
In terms of exposure though, Obama does face one specific regional disadvantage in Ohio, points out another commenter:

throw in the fact that Wisconsin shares borders and media markets with Illinois, Iowa and Minnesota which have all voted, while Ohio shares borders with Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia and Pennsylvania which haven't voted, and Michigan where no advertising was conducted, and you have very different exposure.
Another disadvantage is that "in Ohio, Hillary has the backing of a popular Democratic governor (Strickland) as she does in Pennsylvania as well. In Wisconsin, Doyle backed Obama."

------------------------------------

Theory 2: The cultural difference between downscale whites in Ohio and their counterparts in Wisconsin suggest a different outcome.

Then there is a whole different line of thought. Downscale whites in Ohio are just not the same as downscale whites in Wisconsin. Culturally speaking, they represent very different perspectives.

I saw a blog item the other day that highlighted this. It argued that one major difference is that racism is more open and widespread among working class whites in Rust Belt states like Ohio and Pennsylvania than among their counterparts in states in the upper Midwest, like Minnesota or Wisconsin. Blacks form a larger share of the population, there is a history of racial tension, and whites are more often "white ethnics", like Italians and Irish, who have more of a history of competition with African Americans.

I cant find back that blog post, but this commenter in this Pollster post takes the same angle:

Could it be that whites in Ohio are slightly different ethnically from whites in Wisconsin. Is there any data to show that Ohio's white population has a higher percentage of Polish and Italian and other early 20th century immigration, while Wisconsin has a more "19th century" white ethnic makeup of Danish, German, Scotch extraction. The former may be more shaped by an urban experience that included at least some degree of racial tension. The latter, by contrast, probably has a more rural outlook that is marked by an absence of such tensions, and is therefore more progressive on race.
(Another poster provided the data: "Wisconsin definitely has a much larger number of ethnic Germans (and more ethnic Scandinavians as well). 2000 census says that 43% of Wisconsinites identified their ancestry as German, second highest number in the country to North Dakota. Ohio only has 25% identifying as German.")

I am also an Ohio native and have spent time in Wisconsin since my parents moved to Chicago's northern suburbs. One unfortunate but true comparison - there seems to be a lot more bigotry in Ohio than in Wisconsin. My birthplace, Cleveland, has become a city filled with racially-motivated gang violence. Cincinnati and Dayton (U.D. graduate) were horribly racist when I lived there. I haven't had that same experience in Wisconsin.
However, a commenter further down fiercely disagrees, pointing out that Milwaukee, Wisconsin is "one of the five most segregated cities in the United States," and "has, for many decades, had one of the most racist police departments in the country [..] The racial tensions in Milwaukee are high and growing higher all the time."

"I was born and raised in Milwaukee and am of German ancestry on both sides," he says, and "to argue that Germans are somehow less prejudiced against blacks than other Americans would be funny if it weren't so blindly stupid."

Instead, he offers, "What makes Ohio more politically conservative than Wisconsin is the evangelicals in the southern part of the state. Southern Ohio might as well be Dixie in many places." Another poster echoes the "Southern factor":

Don't downscale whites in the upper Midwest tend to vote differently from downscale whites in the Ohio River Valley? I've never lived in Ohio, and I'm certainly not an expert on the region, but aren't there parts of southern Ohio that are much more like "the South" than is any part of Wisconsin? Remember that Obama has done worst among rural Southern whites. If there are parts of Ohio that are more like the rural parts of TN and VA that Obama did poorly in than any part of Wisconsin, might that account for part of the difference?
Well, all of that just from the first half of the comments; very enlightening if you're interested, like me, in all the various cultural and geographical characteristics in play.

Now for Soz to weigh in from Columbus, Ohio! Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 07:40 pm
Excellent, I would like to do so. Need to turn things off and get to bed though -- big day tomorrow! (Sozlet is so I mean SO excited about going to the rally. We made her a t-shirt -- she drew the Obama logo on white canvas with fabric markers, I cut it out and sewed it to a light-blue t-shirt. She's thrilled.)

Sure hope the debate goes well, will try to catch comments here before I leave tomorrow AM.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 07:53 pm
sozobe wrote:
Excellent, I would like to do so. Need to turn things off and get to bed though -- big day tomorrow! (Sozlet is so I mean SO excited about going to the rally. We made her a t-shirt -- she drew the Obama logo on white canvas with fabric markers, I cut it out and sewed it to a light-blue t-shirt. She's thrilled.)

So cute! Very Happy

sozobe wrote:
Sure hope the debate goes well, will try to catch comments here before I leave tomorrow AM.

Me too, going to bed.. dont want to see yet another debate. Plus, they make me tense.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 06:50 am
Yeah, me too.

I came back downstairs and saw about 10 minutes and was just laughing in disbelief at some of what was happening. (This was the SNL "pillow" and "I always have to answer questions first" section.) None of the accounts I've read so far seem to have a very strong reaction to that stuff though. And evidently it calmed down a bit, though the acrimony didn't end there. The main thing I'm seeing is complaints about Tim Russert and the Farakkhan question. Does sound pretty bad.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of people who have declared Obama the winner "on points," and it seems like at least it was gotten through without any major flubs.
0 Replies