Get yer polls, bets, numbers & pretty graphs! Elections 2008

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 12:24 am
Butrflynet wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
Hillary campaigned heavily here (CA) and she started early, especially
in southern California.

So did Obama. Remember the rallies he had in LA and Oakland in the first quarter of last year?

We have to take a look at the exit poll analyses and figure out how to better get his plans and philosophy to various demographics.

THey're talking of voter confusion in the Obama camp while the Hillary
camp said, that Obama should have done his homework in explaining
the complicated voting ballots to his voters in California.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 12:27 am
AMERICAN SAMOA Democratic TERRITORIAL CAUCUS
Tuesday 5 February 2008
Today's Territorial Caucus chooses 6 of American Samoa's 12 delegates to the Democratic National Convention (together representing 3 pledged "delegate votes" [of American Samoa's 9 total "delegate votes"] at the Democratic National Convention): each of these 6 pledged delegates will only cast ½ (or .5) of a vote on the floor of the Democratic National Convention, thus the total of 3 pledged "delegate votes". The caucus is scheduled to take place between 9 AM local time (2000 UTC) and 11 AM local time (2200 UTC).
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 12:32 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
Hillary campaigned heavily here (CA) and she started early, especially
in southern California.

So did Obama. Remember the rallies he had in LA and Oakland in the first quarter of last year?

We have to take a look at the exit poll analyses and figure out how to better get his plans and philosophy to various demographics.

THey're talking of voter confusion in the Obama camp while the Hillary
camp said, that Obama should have done his homework in explaining
the complicated voting ballots to his voters in California.

That problem only occured in Los Angeles County. Because of that, I got no less than 9 emails from HQ people alerting California precinct captains to the problem and asking everyone to go to every voting location and ask what the rule was for the Declined To State Voter.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 12:37 am
nimh wrote:
Hillary's victory in California seems to be wholly based on Latinos and Asians, among whom she leads massively. Among whites she just leads by 3. ANyway, Butrflynet already reported along those lines.

On that note, in the context of this thread: kudos to Survey USA!

Earlier today, Pollster.com looked at the Survey USA and Zogby polls that were published on the very day of the primaries, and headlined the item, Somebody's Gonna Be Wrong.

Now, the top line numbers of those polls were as follows:
Survey USA: Clinton 52%, Obama 42%
Zogby: Obama 46%, Clinton 40%

That alone tells you who was wrong: with the exit polls at the moment pointing to a result of Clinton 53, Obama 39, SUSA definitely wins credibility points, and Zogby loses face.

But its not just the totals they got to, its how they got there too. On TNR, Josh Patashnik commented sceptically on the SUSA poll:

Quote:
SurveyUSA will probably end up looking worse.

I took a look at the crosstabs of the SurveyUSA poll (I can't seem to find them for Zogby--if any commenters can, please link!). Unfortunately, one of the most relevant things to look at is the relative proportion of African-American and Latino votes in the electorate (since, by all accounts, Obama will win the black vote overwhelmingly and Clinton will win the Latino vote easily, though by a smaller margin). In the 2004 Democratic primary, 16 percent of voters were Latino and 8 percent were black. SurveyUSA estimates the 2008 Democratic electorate as being 26 percent Latino and 9 percent black. To be frank, I would be shocked if those numbers end up being correct--particularly given the disproportionate surge in black turnout we saw in South Carolina. If I had to guess, I'd say the proportions will be about 19 and 11--which is more in line with what other pollsters predict. This alone would swing the result several points toward Obama from what SurveyUSA has.

In addition, SurveyUSA has Hillary beating Obama by one point in the Bay Area, which defies all conventional wisdom. The Field Poll, which has more expertise polling California than anyone, had Obama winning in the Bay Area 41-31--and this was just at the beginning of what looks like a late Obama surge in the state. Hillary will win the state if turnout in Los Angeles and the Inland Empire are large enough, but, again, I'd be very surprised if she won the Bay Area (full of latté liberals and African-Americans) outright.

Well...

According to the exit polls,

• Latinos made up 29% of the electorate - even more than SUSA had predicted;
  • Blacks made up just 6% of the electorate - even less than SUSA had predicted;
  • Clinton led Obama in the Bay area, not just by 1 point, but by 7
So on every of the counts Patashnik mentioned, SUSA's numbers were apparently born out.

Of course, we're talking preliminary exit polls, which will still be updated, but it looks like SUSA wasnt just right - it was right because it got a number of underlying determinants correct even when it went right against the common wisdom of the moment.

But apart from the meta-review of polling, these numbers raise interesting/disturbing questions.

Considering that Obama succeeded in enthusing a massive turnout among AFrican-Americans throughout the South, back in the SC primary and today again, why not, apparently, here?

And considering that overall turnout in California is very high, does the increased weight exerted by the Latinos mean that their turnout was *extremely* high, and why exactly? It's Obama who defended the right of even illegal immigrants to have drivers licenses, Hillary was against - but she obviously inspires a fierce and deep-seated loyalty - at least in this state.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 12:38 am
Obama is starting to close the gap in NM. 28% counted and it is 51 Clinton/42 Obama.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 12:42 am
My immediate guess is that it has something to do with NAFTA. Having another Clinton in the WH is probably deemed as financially beneficial to their families in Mexico if and when corporations continue to move their facilities out of the US.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 12:44 am
New Mexico is now tied, 48/48 with 38% precincts reporting.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 12:44 am
New numbers from New Mexico

Obama 26,120 48%
Clinton 25,747 48%
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 01:00 am
Obama is starting to creep up on Clinton and close the gap a bit in California. He's now moved up from 34 to 37% while she's remained at 53%. Today's votes are finally starting to hit the tabulations. Edwards' results have changed from 10% to 8% of the total.

Only 30% of the precincts reporting.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 01:07 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Obama is starting to creep up on Clinton and close the gap a bit in California. He's now moved up from 34 to 37% while she's remained at 53%. Today's votes are finally starting to hit the tabulations. Edwards' results have changed from 10% to 8% of the total.

Only 30% of the precincts reporting.

I think it will narrow considerably.

A big night for Obama, all in all. Maintained the momentum. His campaign manager on TV said he's raising money as fast or faster then in January.

Look for the 'middle America loves him!' stories. In Idaho he won with 80% of the vote. Look for that stat.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 01:14 am
Who did better (or worse) than expected, where? Looking at the Democrats

Before I (finally) get some sleep, let me do an overall review of how the actual results of the Democratic candidates stacked up against the expectations that had been set by the polls.

Surprisingly perhaps, the patterns contrast drastically from region to region.

I'm again using the average of the polls that were conducted in the last five days on the one hand. But on the other hand I can now use the actual results, rather than exit polls, for most states.

The Northeast: Hillary holds her own

Late deciders break roughly evenly, but she has the edge

Code:
NEW YORK

CLINTON OBAMA

POLLING LAST FEW DAYS 53 35

ACTUAL RESULTS (99% IN) 57 40

DIFFERENCE +4 +5

NEW JERSEY

CLINTON OBAMA

POLLING LAST FEW DAYS 48 40

ACTUAL RESULTS (98% IN) 54 44

DIFFERENCE +6 +4

MASSACHUSETTS

CLINTON OBAMA

POLLING LAST FEW DAYS 52 39

ACTUAL RESULTS (95% IN) 56 41

DIFFERENCE +4 +2

The South: Voters rush to the booths for Barack

Obama outdoes expectations, sometimes by double digits

Code:
GEORGIA

CLINTON OBAMA

POLLING LAST FEW DAYS 33 49

ACTUAL RESULTS (95% IN) 32 66

DIFFERENCE -1 +17

MISSOURI

CLINTON OBAMA

POLLING LAST FEW DAYS 46 42

ACTUAL RESULTS (99% IN) 48 49

DIFFERENCE +2 +7

TENNESSEE

CLINTON OBAMA

POLLING LAST FEW DAYS 56 35

ACTUAL RESULTS (98% IN) 54 41

DIFFERENCE -2 +6

ALABAMA

CLINTON OBAMA

POLLING LAST FEW DAYS 46 44

ACTUAL RESULTS (99% IN) 42 56

DIFFERENCE -4 +12

The Southwest: Clinton outdoes expectations

Does 5-10 points better than expected in CA, AZ

Code:
ARIZONA

CLINTON OBAMA

POLLING LAST FEW DAYS 44 40

EXIT POLLS NOW 49 43
ACTUAL RESULTS (79% IN) 51 42

DIFFERENCE +5/+7 +2/+3

CALIFORNIA

CLINTON OBAMA

POLLING LAST FEW DAYS 44 40

EXIT POLLS NOW 53 39
ACTUAL RESULTS (30% IN) 53 37

DIFFERENCE +9 -1/-3

But there were other states, too!

And Obama romps home in landslide victories in most of them

In fairness to Obama, the picture above looks less positive about his achievements than a complete Super Tuesday overview would.

Above, I've only looked at the states that had been polled more than once in the past 5 days. But Obama scored many of his eye-catching successes away from the limelight!

• Obama won COLORADO, by a landslide, when the only recent poll on that state had only given him a hairwidth.

• He won ALASKA, which hadnt ever even been polled - by a 3:1 margin.

• He won CONNECTICUT by four points, equalling the best ever poll he had on that state.

• He won DELAWARE by 11, when the one and only poll on that state had had Hillary leading.

• He won IDAHO by a whopping 63-point margin (!), a state that had not been polled in months.

• He won ILLINOIS by 31 points, a state which few pollsters had bothered to do a survey on.

• He won KANSAS by a massive 3:1, another state that nobody ever bothered to poll.

• He won MINNESOTA by a massive 35 points, a state whose caucus system had deterred all but one pollster from surveying it (and that one had had Hillary winning).

• He won NORTH DAKOTA by no less than 24 points - again a state that nobody had polled.

• He won UTAH by 18 points, roughly in line with the one poll done there just before the primaries.

• The only state away from the limelights Obama did not actually win (and win by almost exclusively double digits) was OKLAHOMA.

There, he lost by 24, which was in line with what a last-minute SUSA poll had said but was a lot better than what the rival SoonerPoll had said.

• Finally, the jury's still out on NEW MEXICO, another state no reliable recent polling existed on.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:07 am
OK, so overall good news!

I haven't seen the final delegate count yet, with CA apportioned out, but it seems like it's well with 100 delegates and that's what I was hoping for.

The next slate of states looks pretty good for Obama and if he does well there, it adds to momentum in states like Ohio.

nimh, I saw CNN people and MSNBC people talking about how Massachusetts was huge before I went to bed at 9:30 EST, so they didn't wait for CA to say that. One person (Tom Brokaw?) did comment that doing so was about Hillary raising and then deflating and then re-inflating the significance -- just a little while ago it seemed like a no-brainer that she'd win there, and it was amazing to think that Obama actually had a chance.

Any numbers for NYC yet?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:41 am
While this long, bruising slog is probably not the best possible thing for my blood pressure, there is one big benefit if Obama emerges as the winner at the end of it all -- nobody will be able to say he's not tough.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:46 am
sozobe wrote:
Any numbers for NYC yet?

Code:
precincts in CLINTON OBAMA

Bronx 974/976 60% 38%

Brooklyn 2032/2032 50% 48%

Manhattan 1247/1247 54% 44%

Queens 1493/1494 60% 38%

Staten Isl 357/357 61% 36%

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:48 am
Aw. Thanks though.

(What are you doing up?!)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:50 am
Wow, New Mexico is still not in..!

92% reporting

49% Obama, 63,011 votes

48% Clinton, 62,493 votes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:52 am
Yeah, I saw that!

Missouri seems to be accounted for (100% reporting, Obama won).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:53 am
sozobe wrote:
(What are you doing up?!)

Staz has a student coming in, here, in... about 10 mins. I'll be comfy by myself in the bedroom when she's teaching over there <points to living room>, but I've been helping her to get/stay up for the past hour Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:55 am
Wow. I could do that, like, 10 years ago, but now I'm a zombie if I don't get a good chunk of sleep.

That said, I was up and looking at the clock every hour or so all night to see if it was a reasonable time to wake up yet... gave in at about 5:30 AM.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:09 am
Aww..
0 Replies