Get yer polls, bets, numbers & pretty graphs! Elections 2008

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 05:33 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

I'm surprised you haven't read the news, I saw it, Democrats decidedly gain when disputed or questionable ballots are deciphered. I read that on a major site not long ago as a news story but I can't find it now, but they probably expunged it by now because it wasn't a good commentary on Democratic voters.

Or, more likely because you made it up completely, Okie. The evidence was not expunged; the internet has plenty of ways of caching old pages. You're just wrong, is all. Again, you can provide no evidence to back up your positions. Are you happy with providing that level of argumentation?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:48 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

It is obvious you could have gone to any Obama change rally and you would have found mostly ignorant voters.

Have you actually gone to an Obama rally, or are you just going on the accounts on your favourite websites / talk radio stations / Fox?

okie wrote:

And for anyone questioning the poll:
"John Zogby said in a statement defending the poll:

The funny thing is that the conservatives were all over Zogby, spewing venom over him, four years ago when he said things they didnt like.

At least I've been pretty consistent - never trusted Zogby much. :-)

In the end it's not about this pollster vs that pollster, though, of course - it's about identifying the polls that have been commissioned by partisan players. Those are always less trustworthy. And then you have the ridiculous, blatantly biased questions that were actually asked in this poll, as reproduced in that Silver post Okie refuses to read, and the weirdly unrepresentative sample described in same, and this one's an obvious set-up. <shrugs>
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 11:47 pm
Okie, why is it they never include these responses in these videos about Obama supporters?

I dare you to watch the whole thing, don't be afraid of it. You'll learn something about some Obama supporters. A bonus benefit is you'll learn something about Obama's health care proposals.

okie

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:13 am
@Butrflynet,
I watched it all. He seems pretty articulate, the interviewer found a gem, but I think he is far from a typical Obama voter. I think he said his father was a pediatrician, so he is probably unusually informed in regard to the problems with health care. I agree we have a huge problem with health care, and I also agree that if Obama is telling the truth in regard to his end game policies with health care, his is probably as good or better than Clintons or Edwards proposals. But the fact remains that I basically disagree with the basic approach to fixing the problem, I favored some of the things McCain proposed, plus I would add my own thoughts to the matter.

Also, the interview did not ask any questions about any other issues besides health care to speak of, so how do we know really how informed he is? His father was a pediatrician and he should know something about that issue.

Where do you get an interview with one supporter being an indicator, butrfly, that is not even a plausible argument, and besides how about the woman that said she would no longer have to worry about paying for gas or her house payment, as Obama would pay for it, maybe she is a more typical Obama voter?

P.S. 90% of black voters vote Democratic, and I don't know what percentage voted for Obama, but I suspect it was at least that high, probably higher, no surprise, because there is going to be a natural desire for black voters to see a black president, regardless of policies, that is understandable.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:17 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

I watched it all. He seems pretty articulate, the interviewer found a gem, but I think he is far from typical. I think he said his father was a pediatrician, so he is probably unusually informed in regard to the problems with health care. I agree we have a huge problem with health care, and I also agree that if Obama is telling the truth in regard to his end game policies with health care, his is probably as good or better than Clintons or Edwards proposals. But the fact remains that I basically disagree with the basic approach to fixing the problem, I favored some of the things McCain proposed, plus I would add my own thoughts to the matter.

Also, the interview did not ask any questions about any other issues besides health care to speak of, so how do we know really how informed he is? His father was a pediatrician and he should know something about that issue.

Where do you get an interview with one supporter being an indicator, butrfly, that is not even a plausible argument, and besides how about the woman that said she would no longer have to worry about paying for gas or her house payment, as Obama would pay for it, maybe she is a more typical Obama voter?

Where did you get the idea that the few interviewed in the other video are representative of Obama supporters, Okie? It isn't as if a sample of 12, cherry-picked for their comedic value, out of over 65 million, is any more representative than a sample of one.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:20 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Thats why the Zogby poll means something, and the butrfly video means nothing, cyclops, and I think it would be interesting to ask the butrfly video guy the poll questions. He would probably do pretty good, but we don't even know that, do we?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:22 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Thats why the Zogby poll means something, and the butrfly video means nothing, cyclops, and I think it would be interesting to ask the butrfly video guy the poll questions. He would probably do pretty good, but we don't even know that, do we?

The zogby poll, which will not release the internals, also means nothing, Okie. It was a push-poll designed to produce a specific answer, and it did exactly that.

I assure you, we could find similar results for voters of McCain if anyone wanted to go to the effort. But why bother?

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:34 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You don't want to bother because you won't like the results, cyclops, and you know it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:46 pm
@okie,
Hey Okie. If you don't trust me, maybe you'll trust the Wall Street Journal -

Quote:

Zogby’s Misleading Poll of Obama Voters

During a campaign, pollsters can build credibility by forecasting election results accurately. Afterward, they can build revenue by using that credibility to attract private clients. These private surveys often have an agenda, and their numbers can’t be tested against an objective standard, such as votes. Such surveys can test pollsters’ standards of conduct.

Zogby International recently conducted a survey for a critic of president-elect Barack Obama and then, together with the sponsor, interpreted the numbers from the survey in a misleading fashion.

John Zogby, the president and chief executive of Zogby International, released a statement on his Web site Tuesday that defended the poll in the face of heavy criticism from bloggers and some media organizations, saying, “We stand by the results [of] our survey work on behalf of [author and former talk show host] John Ziegler, as we stand by all of our work. … We were hired to test public opinion on a particular subject and with no ax to grind, that’s exactly what we did.”

But on Wednesday, Zogby told me he was on a book tour* when the contract was reached and when the survey was conducted, and wouldn’t have approved the poll in the form it took, or a press release posted on his firm’s Web site. “This was not Zogby International’s finest hour,” he said. “Something, somehow, fell through the cracks.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/zogbys-misleading-poll-of-obama-voters-459/

Didn't you know better, Okie, than to fall for this ****? Wasn't there a part of you inside that knew down deep that these results were a little too pat to be true?

If not, then you are hopelessly naive about modern politics, Okie.

Not that that would be surprising or anything.

Cycloptichorn
nimh

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:20 pm
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/election.png
blatham

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 08:27 pm
@nimh,
nodding in shared guilt
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 08:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
And with that...
Quote:
Pollster.com:

The Zogby summary quotes Ziegler claiming that "the poll really proves beyond any doubt the stunning level of malpractice on the part of the media in not educating the Obama portion of the voting populace."

The problem, as Silver points out, is that the survey does no such thing. It proves only that Obama voters surveyed were less likely to attribute to Obama or Biden a half dozen statements that were "at best debatable, yet apparently represented as factual to the respondent" ...

... Describing his biased, leading questions as a legitimate test of knowledge is hugely misleading, at best.

nimh

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 09:17 pm
@blatham,
Hey Blatham, thanks for that RealClearPolitics link you pointed to earlier. I havent gotten round to looking at it yet, but I have a tab open with it.
okie

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 09:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
First point, Zogby it is known has a soft spot for Democrats. So it isn't surprising to see him back pedal a bit after being beat over the head by all of the Democrats and liberal organizations, especially given the fact he likes to make money from them as clients. It would not surprise me if they threatened to take their business elsewhere. Thats how your leftie buddies operate, they pay hardball with anyone that doesn't do their bidding. And it seems to me the polling organization had every opportunity to do the polling in a very reasonable manner, but when people don't like the results, it is a little late to say oh, we didn't do it right, that is highly disingenuous in my opinion. Thats a bit like doing an experiment that you brag about and charge bucks for, but after the results come back contrary to what you desire, you pooh pooh the results. That isn't how this is supposed to work.

And even Zogby says in the article you linked that:

"Nonetheless, Zogby stood by the results of the poll themselves. “There is valuable information in this poll,” he said "

And no matter how you spin the poll, or question some of the questions or mix of questions, the fact remains that less than half of the Democrat voters answered correctly which party controlled Congress. Hey, a guess out of the blue should get 50%. That is pathetic.

"The other question asked, simply, whether respondents could name which party controlled Congress before this month’s election. Just 43% correctly responded that the Democrats did, with 21% answering neither or saying they were unsure."

I would love to see a poll of Republicans with that same question, who controls congress now, I would bet they would be right at least 75 to 80%, maybe 90.

By the way, one of the complaints was that some news about Obama dealt with old news, while McCain or Palin dealt with newer news, thus some say this made it weighted unfairly. I don't buy that very much because alot of those things were reported clear to the end by responsible reporters, and it actually shows the main stream media to do a very poor job because their reporting was very poor, and weighted toward inconsequential events right before the election. That argument does not fly.

Cyclops, it doesn't work to dismiss a poll simply because you don't like the results. You need more evidence than that.
blatham

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:33 am
@nimh,
thanks nimh...no hurry
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:14 am
David Foster Wallace 2005 profile on Ziegler
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200504/wallace
linked from Nate Silver
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/11/did-talk-radio-kill-conservatism.html
blatham

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:36 am
@blatham,
That Wallace piece is very good indeed.
Quote:
More or less on the heels of the Fairness Doctrine's repeal came the West Coast and then national syndication of The Rush Limbaugh Show through Mr. McLaughlin's EFM Media. Limbaugh is the third great progenitor of today's political talk radio partly because he's a host of extraordinary, once-in-a-generation talent and charisma"bright, loquacious, witty, complexly authoritative"whose show's blend of news, entertainment, and partisan analysis became the model for legions of imitators. But he was also the first great promulgator of the Mainstream Media's Liberal Bias idea. This turned out to be a brilliantly effective rhetorical move, since the MMLB concept functioned simultaneously as a standard around which Rush's audience could rally, as an articulation of the need for right-wing (i.e., unbiased) media, and as a mechanism by which any criticism or refutation of conservative ideas could be dismissed (either as biased or as the product of indoctrination by biased media). Boiled way down, the MMLB thesis is able both to exploit and to perpetuate many conservatives' dissatisfaction with extant media sources"and it's this dissatisfaction that cements political talk radio's large and loyal audience.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:37 am
@okie,
The questions are BS okie. They are vague, misleading and some cases outright fabrications of a "correct answer."

Which party controlled Congress before the last election?
The correct answer is all of the above since "before" doesn't signify any specific time frame. It can be assumed to be the year prior but 1996 is also before the last election so the GOP is not an incorrect answer based on the question being vague.

Which candidate started his political career at the home of 2 former members of the weather underground?
The correct answer is none of the above. While Obama did attend a meet and greet held at the home of two former weathermen, to claim that is where he started his career is specious and not supported by facts. Calling Obama the correct answer is unsupported by anything other than one news story which admits it doesn't know most of the facts. Other stories state the Ayers meet and greet was NOT the first one in the neighborhood. At best the question is vague. At worst, it is an outright smear tactic.

Which candidate said their policies would likely bankrupt the coal industry and make energy rates skyrocket?
That is a fabrication based on taking statements of Obama's out of context. It is nothing more than RW spin being passed off as the truth. If the correct answer for this question is Obama, then the correct answer for who can see Russia from their house would be Palin. Palin says you can see Russia from Alaska. Palin lives in Alaska.

The Rorschach test for this poll is not who answered how it but who accepts it as being valid. You have failed the test okie and been revealed for being dumber than most of those that answered the poll.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:56 am
@blatham,
I got to those two pieces above from Persltein who quotes a particularly relevant bit of Silver's post...

Quote:
There are a certain segment of conservatives who literally cannot believe that anybody would see the world differently than the way they do. They have not just forgotten how to persuade; they have forgotten about the necessity of persuasion.

And as Perstein recognizes, though the above points to a serious problem re civic discourse, it points as well to a likely saving grace... the movement as understood and promoted by people like Limbaugh has lost ability to reach out to others outside of this closed-in community.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 12:18 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Cyclops, it doesn't work to dismiss a poll simply because you don't like the results. You need more evidence than that.

Take is up with those leftists at the WSJ, then Okie; they are the ones who determined that the whole thing was false.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies