I Hate MACs!!!

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 04:50 pm
I need help! My husband has this iMAC computer with Mac OSX on it. His friend wants to update their music program they have on there but the computer keeps asking for an administrative password. I know zilch about this! His friend is the one that set up the computer in the first place and I guess he forgot the password or something.

Does anyone know how you can find out what the administrative password is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,069 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 04:54 pm
I hate Macs too!

But if the OS is now password protected you're going to have troubles. Can't you get the PW?

Truth is Windows can easily be set up the similarly and there is no easy way there either outside of a fresh install.

You could try typing in "admin" as that is a common default.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 04:58 pm
He forgot the password or to record the password and you hate MACs?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 05:01 pm
Laughing I hate MACs because hubby always asks me to fix the danged thing! He is in Shreveport with his friend right now trying to update the program and he called me. Geesh! I did tell him the default usually is "admin" but he said that didn't work. So...................guess he's just gonna have to remember the password!

I had the iMAC hooked up and connected to my router about three weeks ago and it never asked me for no stinkin password. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 05:05 pm
Consider looking at your original paperwork, even at the instruction booklet, and see if someone wrote the password there.

If you have the warrantee thing, you can just call the Mac folks. If not, I'm not sure, though there are a lot of mac-help type websites he can ask on.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 05:08 pm
Thanx Osso. I'm going through the booklets now. Was even thinking they might have a MAC forum. I appreciate your advice.

I found this in the manual:

[quote]If you forget the password for your computer, insert the Mac OS X CD and restart your computer while pressing the C Key. When the Installer appears, choose Reset Password from the Installer menu and follow the onscreen instructions.[/quote]

Well, if he was here where that particular CD is I could fix it! Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 05:57 pm
Can you FedEx it to him?
(I love Macs.)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 06:00 pm
He's going to be coming home tonight. We are just an hour from Shreveport. I'll fix it for him when he gets home. They are going to go ahead and use the program without the updates for tonight.

You love MACs? So, the next time I get in trouble can I ask you? Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 06:04 pm
Can't hurt to try. There are a few Mac wizards here.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 06:32 pm
Did he try just hitting enter without a stinkin password on the hated Mac?

Hi A.M. :wink:
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 06:41 pm
Shocked Shocked Hmmmmmmm Laughing Laughing I can guarantee you he didn't! Oh my, and I didn't think to tell him to either! Laughing Laughing

Nice to see you Intrepid? Hey! Where's Kirk? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:09 pm
Kirk?

Right here!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/Intrepid2/Kirk.jpg
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:10 pm
There you are!!!!!!!!!!! Now my day is complete! Laughing
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:18 am
Check out if the password is stored in the keychain( to be found with the spotlight-function). I've started to do that more often, too many passwords to keep track of!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 01:55 am
Thank all of you so much for your help. He brought the computer home and it now has a password that I can remember! Laughing
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 09:47 am
And didya store the password in the keychain?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 06:46 pm
Stored and written down in the manual also! Laughing
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:44 am
good girl!

btw, I love my mac!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:52 am
I am assuming you mean the password for the user login on the mac.

It is also possible to set a password for "root" on a mac with OSX but it is not recommended.

I am suprised you haven't run into this problem before. Even updates to itunes and other automatic updating programs can require an administrator password to run.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 10:00 am
Hubby's computer has been sitting dormant for a little over three years. He decided he wants to get back into music again so he drug it out.

I greatly appreciate everyone's help!

But I still hate MACs! Laughing (Only because I don't know how to work one. Laughing )
0 Replies