How do you peel a boiled egg?

roger

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 04:46 pm
I mean, how do you peel a hard boiled egg, without getting a hard boiled scrambled egg?

Oh, and if I get that part down, will a boiled egg store okay for a few days without the shell?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,145 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 05:00 pm
As soon as the egg finishes boiling run it under cold water. It makes it easier to peel. A hard boiled egg should last a few days in fridge with or without shell. It probably is fine even out of the fridge for a few hours, if it's just in a lunch bag or container. I wouldn't recommend leaving it in a hot, closed car - that could get stinky.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 05:01 pm
Rog, don't you know how to blow a hard boiled egg out of its shell? You peal a small part of either end and blow hard on one of the holes and it should pop right out. Bud did it all the time for me.

(my friend managed to help me stretch this a mite, so now I can post a reply without too much trouble; still no access to google or Yahoo, however)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 05:10 pm
There are some eggs that are "peelers", and slip right out of shells. There are others that you have to remove the shell a tiny bit at a time. What the hell. It's the luck of the draw!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 05:11 pm
I saw a bag of peeled hard boiled eggs in the egg section at HEB last Saturday.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 05:15 pm
I protest this thread on the grounds of cruelty to eggs, what's next discussions on how to water-board eggs?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 05:55 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I saw a bag of peeled hard boiled eggs in the egg section at HEB last Saturday.

You can buy them at Publix Supermarkets as well.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 06:01 pm
1. If you crack the egg and put it in some water to soak for a minute or two the water will get under the shell through the cracks. Do this as soon as you have cooked your eggs (when they're hot). The longer the shell is left on (like overnight), the more it seems to weld itself to the egg.

2. Eggs are protein and should not be left out more than 2 hours, at which time bacteria starts to have a field day. They are fine in the fridge for at least a week in a covered container (by themselves, not mixed with mayo or anything). I frequently boil 6 at a time and leave them like that, peeled, of course.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 06:03 pm
Are you pullling my leg, Letty? Anyway, I'll give it a shot.

Yes, I did know they should be cold before peeling.

Thanks, Green Witch. That's reassuring, as I don't function well in the early morning.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 06:04 pm
Thanks for the tip, Mame. I'll try that one, too.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 06:13 pm
Freshly laid eggs rarely are easy to peel. Need to let them age in the frig a week or so to allow a pocket of air to form inside the shell before boiling them.

Once boiled, plunge them into cold water. The coldness helps the membrane shrink from the shell (remember Seinfeld's episode on the shrinkage factor and cold?).

To peel a hard boiled egg, tap it lightly on the counter top to crack the shell on both ends and all around the egg. Then hold the egg under a light stream of running water and peel the egg. The running water helps the shell slide from the egg as water accumulates under it.

Boiled eggs will keep for a week if stored in a sealed container. Peeled eggs will keep for fewer days.

By the way, a good way to make a small batch of egg salad for a sandwhich is to spread mayo on your sandwich bread, then slip two hard boiled eggs through an egg slicer and deal the slices out onto the bread. Add a bit of salt, pepper and pickle relish and you have yourself an egg salad sandwich.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 06:34 am
Butrflynet has it. The older the egg (when boiled), the tougher the membrane between the shell and the white of the egg, and the easier it is to peel.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 07:03 am
roger wrote:
Are you pullling my leg, Letty? Anyway, I'll give it a shot.

No, she is not, look here : Quickpeel a hardboiled egg...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 07:45 am
How do i peel an egg? From the outside . . . others may do as they will.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:36 am
Hold it sideways in the palm of your hand and whack the exposed side onto the worktop. Without releasing the pressure, roll it back and forth on it's side, so the the whole circumference has been crunched. It should then come off easily.
Takes a bit of practise with the amount of pressure on both the whack and the roll, but it gets easy peasy in the end.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:38 am
I use that method, too, Doowop. I admit that i was unable to describe the process succinctly, however. My hat would be off to you, but little doggies don't wear hats.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:43 am
An egg peeling dog? Now that I've got to see before I pop my clogs.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:44 am
I'm also a crack and roll gal :-D
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:44 am
Some little doggies wear hats.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:45 am
Only the goofy ones . . .