CONTEST SIDE DISH: Schroeder's Famous Potato Pancakes

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 06:09 pm
SCHROEDER'S FAMOUS POTATO PANCAKES
The original recipe from San Francisco's famous restaurant
Adapted by BumbleBeeBoogie

3 pounds potatoes (Russets, Yellow Fins or Yukon Golds)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and grated
solid shortening for frying

Peel the potatoes, wash and let stand in a bowl of water to crisp. Just before cooking, thoroughly drain; coarsely grate the potatoes; then drain and pat dry again with paper towels. Place in a large bowl and mix in the eggs, flour, salt and pepper, onion, and apple.

Heat the shortening until very hot in an 8-inch heavy cast iron skillet. Spoon about one-fourth of the potato mixture into the skillet. This recipe will make three to four 8-inch pancakes. Alternatively, you may spoon smaller amounts of the mixture to make smaller pancakes to serve six. Brown on one side, turn and brown on the other. Drain on paper towels. Keep the cooked pancakes warm in the oven set at the lowest warming temperature until ready to serve. Pancakes should be crisp, so do not cover.

Serves 3 to 4.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,390 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 06:39 pm
Mixing the apples right in is an interesting idea. I'll have to see what mrs. hamburger thinks about that. hmmmmmmm.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:59 pm
sorry bumblebeeboogie, you are not allowed to keep the pancakes in a toaster-oven to keep warm ! you have to eat them when they come hot out of the frying pan ! usually i have one in my hand (sometimes folded over - the pancake, that is - ), while another one sits on the side of the plate to be picked up next. now that the new potatoes are on the market it's time to have a feast. you are allowed to dress them up with applesauce (homemade) if you like. i can hear them sizzling in the pan. hbg
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 08:06 pm
Ok so how did you change it from the original since I have never had them?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 01:16 pm
safecracker : i think keeping potatoe-pancakes in the toaster-oven is somewhat like the british putting their toast on a rack after toasting. by the time you get it to the table it's TOAST ! sorry for the pun ! eh ! hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 01:25 pm
safecracker - in the traditional recipe, there are no apples in the potato pancakes. They are served on the side in a very plain applesauce.

Potato pancakes are very similar to latkes. Just different enough to make it worth trying both.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 02:01 pm
safecracker : potatoe-pancakes are quite a bit thinner than latkes and become quite crisp and crunchy on the outside and particularly around the edges - that's what makes them so irresistible. hbg. crunch, crunch ...
0 Replies