How does bankruptcy affect your credit score and when?

Linkat

Mon 10 Dec, 2007 01:08 pm
We filed bankruptcy about a week ago. I checked my credit score today and it still shows as excellent. My credit report does state that we have filed bankruptcy. It also gives an explanation of your credit score and what causes it to be high or low. In this explanation it states that what helps my credit score is low debt, payments all made on time, and stuff like that. It then goes on to explain that what is lowering my credit score is the file for bankruptcy.

Not that I am complaining, but is it possible to file for bankruptcy and still have an excellent score? Or will I eventually see this fall at some point - perhaps after our hearing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,143 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

Noddy24

Thu 10 Jan, 2008 05:11 am
Bump.
0 Replies

Roberta

Thu 10 Jan, 2008 06:00 am
You need to see the effect of the bankruptcy after it has cleared the courts. Filing doesn't make it official. It's likely that it will be reflected in your credit rating.

If you want to know now what the effect will be, you might trying calling the credit score company. I don't know whether it will provide this info, but it couldn't hurt.
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:37 pm
Well we just went to our hearing this week so hopefully we will see the effect soon - at least so we can be prepared.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 08:25 am
You've resurrected a thread that stopped about five years ago.

The author is hopefully doing very well nowadays.

0 Replies

danielsmith999

Wed 16 Oct, 2013 10:31 pm
The main issue that discourages most people from filing bankruptcy is the detrimental effect is has on their credit. It’s true that a bankruptcy can stay on your credit report for up to ten years and it seriously hurts your credit score. However, not filing for bankruptcy and allowing your debts to go to collections will also negatively impact your credit.
Depending on the kind of bankruptcy you file, Chapter 7 vs Chapter 13 bankruptcy, your credit score will decrease anywhere from 160 to 220 points. This is enough to take a good credit rating down to a fair or poor one. Since most lenders decide whether or not to extend you credit based on your credit score, a bankruptcy will make it much more difficult to qualify for an auto or home loan or credit cards.
The primary remedy for this is time, though there are additional measures you can take to positively enhance your credit report and score. Ultimately, if you manage your new debts well, your score will gradually increase, and in time you will be able to run your financial life successfully, even if the bankruptcy has not yet dropped off your report.
0 Replies