Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?

Montana

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 03:25 am
It's always been Merry Christmas with me. That's what I grew up with. Old habit I guess.

Merry Christmas everyone and Happy Holidays too :-D
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 07:37 am
LDM wrote:
Uh, anyone who takes offense at someone saying "Happy Holidays" is certainly getting taken off my Christmas list. But at the same time, if you are of another faith and someone says "Merry Christmas," you should probably take that in stride too. All in all, everyone should just get offended by things less, and everything would probably work out better.

Amen to that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 07:43 am
My attitude is that all good wishes are gratefully accepted.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 08:28 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Me too --- I recall a similar discussion a couple years ago. My response then still stands.

Quote:
I recently stated in another post that I live in a predominately Jewish area. Happy Holidays is safe, inclusive, and doesn't hurt anybody. If someone wishes me Merry Christmas I say, "and the same to you." If someone wishes me Happy Hanakah I say, "and the same to you." Guess what I say if someone wishes me Happy Holidays? <yup> During the High Holy days in fall I'm constantly hearing Happy New Year and I say, "and the same to you." No salt off my nose either way. If I know someone's religious affiliation I wish them a religious appropriate greeting, otherwise Happy Holidays works just fine.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 08:32 am
Happy Winter Solstice!
[This offer void where prohibited]
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 01:52 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Same here :-D
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 09:37 pm
Anyone notice Spock's hand greeting (when he says live long and prosper) is similar to Mork's (Mork and Mindy) Na nu Na nu?

Take care y'all
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:36 am
I say "Happy Christmas." and yes I celebrate christmas with my family. The only thing about the season I disapprove of is others telling me how I'm celebrating the season incorrectly and trying to tell me the true meaning of Christmas, when it's a hijacked holiday.

The meaning of Christmas to me is the same as it is for Thanksgiving, and Easter: Close time spent with my family. So damn those who think I'm wasting my time.

Happy Secular Christmas.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Janice911

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 04:53 pm
Yea, it is about Christ! Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 04:54 pm
Sometimes I just look at people, smile, and say "ho ho ho" Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:11 pm
I respect all holidays. I don't know enough about winter Jewish holidays and most non Christian ones to be especially moved by them, but, I enjoy it when people do what makes them happy. I am big into Christmas and Thanksgiving, as my a2k friends all know, and I will say Merry Christmas more often than anything else.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:29 pm
imo the problem is that christmas and pretty well all other holidays have just become "commercial events" . just received a "christmas card" from my BANK Shocked Laughing - i guess they are wishing that i put more money their way !
i wish every one the very best , good health and happiness - and hope nobody takes offence at that .
when i grew up , christmas started on christmas eve (the living room was locked when my dad put up the tree a few days before christmas and wasn't opened until after dark christmas eve - when we received our presents) , and it ended on the 26th .
now it seems to start right after thanksgiving ... and ends when the valentine cards , candies and gifts appear in the stores ... and easter starts right thereafter ...
i'll call it : happy merchants holidays - may the cash register jingle ! (hope no one feels offended) .
hbg(being in the holiday mood year round Laughing )
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 07:45 pm
Well, I never!!! I'm so offended Hamburger, that I'm not speaking to you anymore Evil or Very Mad

At least until the next time I speak to you. :-D
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 07:50 pm
Go, Mr Hamburger Go. Is it flippin' January yet? Rolling Eyes

(and nobody buys car parts fer Christmas)

The Grinch in Kansas
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 07:52 pm
Oh, this is too much! You guys are breaking me heart Sad
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:46 pm
Re: Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?
Intrepid wrote:

For me, christmas is not a religious holiday, and I suspect I'm not alone, even among those who call themselves christian (let's be honest, how many christians really know when christ was born).

Christmas for most people (even many "christians") is decorating a pine tree, giving presents and eating a big dinner with family and friends. Nothing more. It has nothing to do with Christ for many people. Heck, christ wasn't even born in december. The 25'th is a pagan celebration of the solstice isn't it?

It seems like christians basically stole a pagan celebration, named it christmas, and are now complaining because it's not getting enough respect in a secular society.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:01 pm
for a change , let's just be nice to one another !
wish EVERYONE (!) the very best : good health and a goood time with family and friends - there isn't much more that's important to me .
say : merry christmas , happy hanukka , quanza , froehliche weihnachten ... as long as you have a sincere smile and a good heart , that shoould do nicely !

and remember guy lombardo and his royal canadians singing :

Quote:
You work and work for years and years, you're always on the go;
You never take a minute off, too busy makin' dough.
Someday, you say, you'll have your fun when you're a millionaire -
Imagine all the fun you'll have in your old rockin' chair.

(Refrain:)
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think;
Enjoy yourself, while you're still in the pink.
The years go by as quickly as a wink -
Enjoy yourself, enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

You're gonna take that ocean trip, no matter, come what may;
You've got your reservations but you just can't get away.
Next year, for sure, you'll see the world, you'll really get around -
But how far can you travel when you're six-feet under ground?

Your heart of hearts, your dream of dreams, your ravishing brunette;
She's left you and she's now become somebody else's pet.
Lay down that gun, don't try, my friend, to reach the great beyond;
You'll have more fun by reachin' for a redhead or a blonde.

(Repeat Refrain)

You never go to nightclubs and you just don't care to dance;
You don't have time for silly things like moonlight and romance.
You only think of dollar bills tied neatly in a stack;
But when you kiss a dollar bill, it doesn't kiss you back.

(Repeat Refrain)

i know it's really a song for new year's eve but i enjoy it anytime Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:19 pm
hamburger wrote:
for a change , let's just be nice to one another !

We were being nice to each other by saying Happy Holidays.

Having someone say they prefer to hear Merry Christmas is like giving someone a gift and having them say, "thanks, but I really wanted something specifically for ME, so here's your gift back".
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 03:33 am
Re: Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?
rosborne979 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

For me, christmas is not a religious holiday, and I suspect I'm not alone, even among those who call themselves christian (let's be honest, how many christians really know when christ was born).

Christmas for most people (even many "christians") is decorating a pine tree, giving presents and eating a big dinner with family and friends. Nothing more. It has nothing to do with Christ for many people. Heck, christ wasn't even born in december. The 25'th is a pagan celebration of the solstice isn't it?

It seems like christians basically stole a pagan celebration, named it christmas, and are now complaining because it's not getting enough respect in a secular society.

The hangup on what day of the year is used for the celebration is of no consequence. If we didn't know your exact birth date and celebrated your birthday on April 11th....we would still be celebrating your birthday and giving recognition to you.

This whole business about stealing a date is rather silly. The fact is December 25th, for whatever reason, is the day that Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ and anybody who has problems with this is missing the entire point.

You are right. Many Christians decorate a tree, give gifts and have a big meal with family and friends.

Do you know where the gift giving comes from? Did Jesus have big meals with his disciples? Ok, the tree is just something nice.

BTW....it is suspected that Jesus was probably born sometime around April.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 03:35 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I respect all holidays. I don't know enough about winter Jewish holidays and most non Christian ones to be especially moved by them, but, I enjoy it when people do what makes them happy. I am big into Christmas and Thanksgiving, as my a2k friends all know, and I will say Merry Christmas more often than anything else.

Merry Christmas, Edgar. And, I hope you have a holly, jolly one.
0 Replies