Electrically Conducting Glue? Anybody know of one?

IVIr

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 08:35 pm
I need an electrically conducting glue for a project. Does anyone know where I can find such a glue? I haven't been able to find anything anywhere. And nobody seems to know.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,145 • Replies: 9
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 08:42 pm
I don't know either but I Googled "electrically conductive glue" and got 244,000 hits, including this one: http://www.interfacebus.com/Adhesive_Electrically_Conductive_Manufacturers.html
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 08:44 pm
Run a line of silver solder under the glue, or wire or several wires.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 09:14 pm
My problem....
I tried googling it as you did. But all the results I find are on glues for making motherboards. Which is exactly what I'm tinkering on so that's great. But all the stuff I've fond is only intended to be bought by like cooperations. And I'm not looking for a supplier. I'm just looking for a tube of glue that I can buy.

Oh, and I might take your advice on the silver solder, but I really don't want to solder on this board because it is a mother board and I don't want to damage it with the heat. I'm not really experienced with soldering. So I'd really like to just glue something on if I can get that to work.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 09:41 pm
Okay. I see. It's time to start really thinking around your problem then.

Once upon a time I needed some huge sheets of seamless material; like 9 feet by 9 feet -- big, I thought. I couldn't find it anywhere. I finally contacted a local manufaturer or sailboat sails and they were happy to sell me large pieces of seamless material (small, they thought) for what was probably a fraction of the cost that it would have taken me to buy it elsewhere.

Who in your area might be using this product? A computer repair store, maybe? Someone who does custom computer installations, maybe? Someone like that might be happy to sell you a small amount of what you need!
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 11:08 pm
I have no clue, but asked my husband and he said to try your local Home Improvement type of store. Ours would be Lowe's Lumber. At least you can see if one even exists! I wish you luck on your project.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 11:33 pm
I'm thinking that something like this exists for the repair in breaks on rear windshield defrosters. Try thinking auto parts dealers.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 02:39 am
Good thinking...
I'll try a couple local computer shops. That's a good idea, Boomerang.

I have been trying many of the local shops such as Lowes I live in a little out of the way community. I might have to start calling less locally maybe.

And thanks for the autoparts idea. That's a really good one. I'm going to try that.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 03:17 am
Yeah, I was going to say your local auto mechanic too. I had a Mazda RX7 in which the curly cord electric wire that went from the car body to the defroster on the rear hatch window came off. It was held on by an electircally conducting glue. They had something that reglued it. But be careful--they didn't clamp it long enough or hard enough, or clean off the old residue well enough, because a couple years later it shorted out and heated the defroster wires enough that the whole window shattered as I was driving--thought somone had thrown a very large rock through it, it was like a very loud small explosion.
0 Replies

IVIr

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 12:35 pm
Thanks for the Warning.
Thanks for the warning about the glue.
0 Replies