What is crossing the line?

stach

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:55 pm
ha! another controversial topic of mine

i have read an article about how spouses or partners should make sure
they don't "cross the line" at yahoo

it includes things like "don't buy a drink to someone else but your partner,
don't go online and chat and flirt, don't dirty dance with others etc etc

man, is the world turning into islam or something? this is a serious article at a serious website visited by billions of people

anyway, i broke up with my girlfriend at least 4 times so far because our
sexual tension, attraction was almost non-existent , i asked my best friends for advise and most told me that it is basically impossible to keep a healthy relationship with someone if the person is not sexy for you, in this case my gf was boring sexually and i was frustrated

but as a buddhist , you know i am the kind of buddhist who does not freak out just because the sex thing does nto work, i believe in many different values, sex is not so important, as much as delicious food is something i can do without

but i could not find a way how to settle this problem, should i give up a relationship just because sexually it is awful?

and now we are enjoying a great relationship and love each other, and why? because i decided to start to misbehave and i encourage my dear beloved gf to misbehave too - i encourage her to flirt with other men, let them buy her drinks, i encourage her to dream about sleeping with others and i encourage her to meet anyone she wants to meet and even consider sleeping with the guy

i myself will not go into detail how far i go beyond lines, but i definitely have a few sexy friends i meet whenever i want to and it also helps me relax and feel good and healthy in my relationship

our sexual life is reborn and although it is not exactly what i can imagine it could be, it is okay and we are both happy together,
i want to marry her and have children and i think she is the greatest woman in the world - morals is BS, what counts is reality
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 789 • Replies: 10
No top replies

aidan

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:09 pm
There are differing levels of relationships you know. Just because you're not sure you want to marry the girl, doesn't mean you have to 'give up the relationship' (that is unless she's said that she wants a commitment or nothing at all).

But if you don't enjoy or excite each other sexually, I wouldn't get married. Fifty (or more) years is a long time to spend with someone you say you already find boring. I can't imagine she would want to be with someone who thought she was sexually boring...does she have self-esteem problems? Or have you neglected to tell her she bores you? And is there any possibility you bore her sexually? I'm just asking, because if she's able to function sexually with other men ( as you describe) and it has served to sort of awaken her sexually - maybe the problem is not only that you find her boring- maybe she was bored sexually by you.
I'm not trying to be mean - I'm just saying that maybe the two of you are not a good fit.
But I'd be interested to know how one goes about getting involved sexually with someone they have no chemistry with. Isn't that kind of a prerequisite? Or do you just force yourself to pretend it exists until you can't pretend anymore?

You say good food is more important to you than sex- is she a good cook?
Joking- but really- if her companionship and good food were all you really needed, you wouldn't be looking elsewhere for anything else. And if you think that's going to be the state of things for years to come (that you'll use each other for what you're good to each other for and try to find sex elsewhere) - I'd look for the real thing now - before you hurt each other and any children you may have more than is absolutely necessary.

In other words, if you like her so much, maybe you could just go on picnics together or something and save your intimate selves for a person you appreciate in every way who also appreciates you in every way-ultimately this is the kinder thing to do for her- encouraging her to hold out for what she deserves instead of playing some weird game to bolster your otherwise nonexistent sexual desire for her.
0 Replies

stach

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:11 pm
i want to add a couple of comments as the original post might be considered two wild and irresponsible hence immoral and that would be a shame, a lost
chance here to open a serious debate

firstly, i noticed that a regular woman, a woman, just a woman - her natural
feature will be, unless she is pretty old, that she will expect some sexual activity from her partner and if she does not get this activity, if there is no interest in her in terms of sex, she will not be happy, which will lead to awful
emotional consequences for both partners and usually it will lead to a complete collapse of the relationship - anyway, if those two are pretty stubborn, they will find some alternative way how to deal with their sexual frustration, they will stick to some scenario, for example some kind of moral game or something, that will help them overcome their frustration

but young people usually cannot tolerate if there is no romance in the relationship - and if there is no sexual interest it means no romance to them and no romance to them means essentially no love

i believe in love where romance is not important and i believe in love that does not depend on sexual life

but such belief requires two, not just one

so after some relationships full of scenes and hysteria no matter whose fault it was, i gave up the idealistic notion that i would partner a woman, mature and independent where sex would be a game for children, not for adult people and decided to respect, cherish sex as necessary part of a healthy relationship

so of course i wanted to know how to make myself interested in my gf
sexually, and so i tried to figure out what kind of woman is sexy to me
and found out that a woman that is not passively sitting at home and waiting for me and saying I love you all the time, such a woman, who seems independent and free and has no limits is sexy and attractive

it is a woman that a man wants to conquer and similarly, women are
attracted to men who seem hard to get

it seems this kind of game cannot be part of a serious, mature relationship, but sex is something we do because it is primitive and we are partly primitive - we don t have sex because it is moral and sophisticated

but to understand sex and make it healthy, working part of our lives is to
see sex as something sophisticated and highly moral

so sex has two opposite sides - immoral and primitive, it is an act of beast,
but for human beings it is also something incredibly sophisticated, complicated and highly moral as it helps to maintain happy families, provide emotional stability to children as children are happy when their parents are happy - don't tell me i;ve been there and you probably too

so we need to find a way how to understand sex and how to employ sex so that it be something that supports our relationship, not something that destroys our relationships

it is too simplistic to look at sex as something that has to be kept under the lid of a single relationship - it is the popular Christian notion of a moral family - but to keep sex under the lid of a single family means to prevent the sex from getting fresh air from outside - such sex will always be reduced to boredom - and if it is not reduced to boredom, although the couple can deal without impulses from outside or provoke impulses outside, i think it is only possible if the couple has really wild and maybe perverted sexual fantasy - but to have wild sexual fantasies, no matter how faithful you are, means to be pretty sexually open minded

as i found my own partner too boring to provide good sex, i realized that
it is necessary to encourage her to be a bit "immoral" and flirt with others and other things - and she definitely enjoyed that and as her confidence went up, her sexiness went up alongside - what else is new - and i don't know what is immoral about a couple whose "immoral" attitude and behavior leads to a steady, peaceful, joyful, happy, emotionally fulfilling
environment that should be a required basis for starting a family and raising children

to be immoral here means to be highly moral and responsible and only now I am not afraid to have children as i would like my children to grow up in the middle of a happy family and not two grumpy hysterical parents who
don't sleep with each other or force each other to sleep with each other
or pretending they are so above sex and only care about ideals

no, sex has to be taken seriously, totally, and the article at yahoo not only
suggest things that don't work but encourages people to deepen their frustration and hunger for real sex as they will be locked in the moral dark closets of absolutely faithful relationships that only exist in dreams of stupid journalists or psychologists or televangelists
0 Replies

stach

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:12 pm
aidan wrote:
There are differing levels of relationships you know. Just because you're not sure you want to marry the girl, doesn't mean you have to 'give up the relationship' (that is unless she's said that she wants a commitment or nothing at all).

But if you don't enjoy or excite each other sexually, I wouldn't get married. Fifty (or more) years is a long time to spend with someone you say you already find boring. I can't imagine she would want to be with someone who thought she was sexually boring...does she have self-esteem problems? Or have you neglected to tell her she bores you? And is there any possibility you bore her sexually? I'm just asking, because if she's able to function sexually with other men ( as you describe) and it has served to sort of awaken her sexually - maybe the problem is not only that you find her boring- maybe she was bored sexually by you.
I'm not trying to be mean - I'm just saying that maybe the two of you are not a good fit.
But I'd be interested to know how one goes about getting involved sexually with someone they have no chemistry with. Isn't that kind of a prerequisite? Or do you just force yourself to pretend it exists until you can't pretend anymore?

Joking- but really- if her companionship and good food were all you really needed, you wouldn't be looking elsewhere for anything else. And if you think that's going to be the state of things for years to come (that you'll use each other for what you're good to each other for and try to find sex elsewhere) - I'd look for the real thing now - before you hurt each other and any children you may have more than is absolutely necessary.

In other words, if you like her so much, maybe you could just go on picnics together or something and save your intimate selves for a person you appreciate in every way who also appreciates you in every way-ultimately this is the kinder thing to do for her- encouraging her to hold out for what she deserves instead of playing some weird game to bolster your otherwise nonexistent sexual desire for her.

aidan, we posted at the same time, so please, my second post was not a reaction to this one you wrote, i will try to react sometime later
0 Replies

stach

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:36 pm
I don't know how to cut the quoted part so I added Stach and Aidan before
the parts so it is clear who wrote what, so these are comments added to Aidan's thoughts I quote here but mine are wrongly included in the quote, although they are not part of the quote

aidan wrote:

STACH
there are some vague points i made it seems, my English could be better and clearer too

our relationship has become pretty stable and calm only during recent last months and so now i know i am ready to marry her - but not just based on a few months experience, but these last months seem to show the direction is very healthy and i can evaluate all great things she has done for all those years we have been together

AIDAN

But if you don't enjoy or excite each other sexually, I wouldn't get married. Fifty (or more) years is a long time to spend with someone you say you already find boring. I can't imagine she would want to be with someone who thought she was sexually boring...does she have self-esteem problems?

STACH
This is what my friends kept telling me - if sex doesn't work, don't marry.
But as I have tried to explain in my posts I found ways how to refresh her
for me. Did she find me boring, too? Of course, especially when I showed no interest in sex with her. So we were both boring each other. Now that she is more playful, it inspires me to be more playful and so we are both more playful, that's all, it is egg chicken problem. We depend on each other in this playfulness. But this playfulness, as I see it, needs to get some supply from outside. And not necessarilly from cheating on the partner/

AIDAN
Or have you neglected to tell her she bores you?

STACH
I told her and she broke up with me! So that was pretty simple. But later I went back to her and suggested we should find out if our relationship is really so shallow because I felt there was something deeper going on and found the sexual aspect as a mere bitter drop in pure water. I felt our relationship was essentially deep and wonderful, just didn't know how to make the sex thing work

AIDAN
And is there any possibility you bore her sexually? I'm just asking, because if she's able to function sexually with other men ( as you describe) and it has served to sort of awaken her sexually - maybe the problem is not only that you find her boring- maybe she was bored sexually by you.

STACH
Yes, that is what happened - I forced myself to pretend until I gave up and told her there was none.

AIDAN
Joking- but really- if her companionship and good food were all you really needed, you wouldn't be looking elsewhere for anything else.

STACH

I meant this - delicious, good food is something I can do without. Delicious sex is something I can do without. THis is not an emtpy exclamation - I really mostly don't eat anything delicious and all sex I have is almost always mediocre. And I can be happy anyway. But to keep things running, both my body and my relationship, I have to do my best to provide the body at least something healthy and essential, and provide our relationship at least something that has elements of good sex.

AIDAN

And if you think that's going to be the state of things for years to come (that you'll use each other for what you're good to each other for and try to find sex elsewhere) - I'd look for the real thing now - before you hurt each other and any children you may have more than is absolutely necessary.

STACH

I don't believe, really don't believe there is a woman who would be better than my girlfriend overally. THere is always something that does not work, that is life. I may find a sexy woman who will be this and that and all and later she will turn out to be whatever. Sexiness is not exactly the strongest
aspect of my partner, but she has several incredible features. Anyway, the point I stated in my original post was that to support healthy sexual relationship, it is not a good idea to close the relationship totally. I think the essence of sex is misbehavior. This essence has to be supported somehow all the time. Maybe there are couples somewhere in Kansas who
enjoy fantastic sex every other night and never ever flirt with anyone and never do anything bad and never ever meet anyone sexy and never cross the lines that the yahoo psychologist writer set so clearly. I simply don't believe it. If such a thing existed, it would be documented in literature, film or somewhere. But such cases has almost never appeared in literature, film or anywhere. They are fantasies of some people who devide the world into good and bad.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:54 pm
stach wrote:
i want to add a couple of comments as the original post might be considered two wild and irresponsible hence immoral and that would be a shame, a lost
chance here to open a serious debate

firstly, i noticed that a regular woman, a woman, just a woman - her natural
feature will be, unless she is pretty old, that she will expect some sexual activity from her partner and if she does not get this activity, if there is no interest in her in terms of sex, she will not be happy,
Yes, because it's an insult to her feminity and desireability. It's kind of like you're saying, 'You've got a great personality - but I don't desire you.' That's not what you say to someone you want to marry- that's what you say to a friend.

but young people usually cannot tolerate if there is no romance in the relationship - and if there is no sexual interest it means no romance to them and no romance to them means essentially no love
I wouldn't assume that's true just for young people Stach. That's why I was confused as to how you got together in the first place, as sexual partners ,if there was no chemistry. I can't even really picture touching someone unless I felt the urge or desire to- much less having sex with him.
i believe in love where romance is not important and i believe in love that does not depend on sexual life
I do too - but that's called friendship, not marriage.

but such belief requires two, not just one
so after some relationships full of scenes and hysteria no matter whose fault it was, i gave up the idealistic notion that i would partner a woman, mature and independent where sex would be a game for children, not for adult people and decided to respect, cherish sex as necessary part of a healthy relationship
so of course i wanted to know how to make myself interested in my gf
sexually,
See this is the part that I find problematic. You shouldn't have to make yourself interested in her- it should just happen. and so i tried to figure out what kind of woman is sexy to me
and found out that a woman that is not passively sitting at home and waiting for me and saying I love you all the time, such a woman, who seems independent and free and has no limits is sexy and attractive
so she doesn't embody these characteristics for you unless she's coming on to other men?
it is a woman that a man wants to conquer and similarly, women are
attracted to men who seem hard to get
I don't get this whole conquering idea- I never thought of it as any contest. To me it's just an expression that you've found what you were looking for in someone else.
it seems this kind of game cannot be part of a serious, mature relationship, but sex is something we do because it is primitive and we are partly primitive - we don t have sex because it is moral and sophisticated but to understand sex and make it healthy, working part of our lives is to
see sex as something sophisticated and highly moral
Or, as my mother taught me, you can look at it as a very special gift that you only want to give to someone who is very special to you. And that doesn't include friends- or maybe even people you know you couldn't love. It does include a component of desire that makes it different from the love you have for everyone else in your life.
opposite sides - immoral and primitive, it is an act of beast,
but for human beings it is also something incredibly sophisticated, complicated and highly moral as it helps to maintain happy families, provide emotional stability to children as children are happy when their parents are happy - don't tell me i;ve been there and you probably too

so we need to find a way how to understand sex and how to employ sex so that it be something that supports our relationship, not something that destroys our relationships

it is too simplistic to look at sex as something that has to be kept under the lid of a single relationship - it is the popular Christian notion of a moral family - but to keep sex under the lid of a single family means to prevent the sex from getting fresh air from outside - such sex will always be reduced to boredom - and if it is not reduced to boredom, although the couple can deal without impulses from outside or provoke impulses outside, i think it is only possible if the couple has really wild and maybe perverted sexual fantasy - but to have wild sexual fantasies, no matter how faithful you are, means to be pretty sexually open minded

as i found my own partner too boring to provide good sex, i realized that
it is necessary to encourage her to be a bit "immoral" and flirt with others and other things - and she definitely enjoyed that and as her confidence went up, her sexiness went up alongside - what else is new - and i don't know what is immoral about a couple whose "immoral" attitude and behavior leads to a steady, peaceful, joyful, happy, emotionally fulfilling
environment that should be a required basis for starting a family and raising children

to be immoral here means to be highly moral and responsible and only now I am not afraid to have children as i would like my children to grow up in the middle of a happy family and not two grumpy hysterical parents who
don't sleep with each other or force each other to sleep with each other
or pretending they are so above sex and only care about ideals

no, sex has to be taken seriously, totally, and the article at yahoo not only
suggest things that don't work but encourages people to deepen their frustration and hunger for real sex as they will be locked in the moral dark closets of absolutely faithful relationships that only exist in dreams of stupid journalists or psychologists or televangelists

I just don't think it has to be that black and white - and I don't think you should look at your relationship (in which you state there is no sexual chemistry) as the norm. I don't believe most people who get married would get married unless they felt sexually attracted to the person in the first place. I know if my daughter told me her boyfriend or fiance told her she was sexually boring to him - I'd frigging bar the door to keep her from marrying him. That's a recipe for disaster.
And while you're out there fulfilling your sexual needs with other people - what are responsibilities toward those other women. Are they happy just to be your more stimulating sexual partner for the night? Do you keep going back to the same one - do you keep trying out others...I mean think about it- how does it all work- even logistically- if not emotionally?
Is your girlfriend the jealous type? Is she able to throw herself and her feelings around? I guess alot of it depends on those variables.
I do know it's really, really different these days...my students tell me that all the time. But what I also know is that no one seems to be happy or feel secure in their relationships. So I don't think making everything more openly and easily given is working out quite as well as everyone thought it would.
0 Replies

stach

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:00 pm
Basically I believe there are magazines or journalists or TV shows that
encourage people to keep changing partners and keep looking for the ideal one. And such silly pieces of art or journalisms are taken seriously. Sex in the city for example. YOu may say that it is a superficial and silly crap but
it also depicts how young people act and thing in terms of sex and romance.
It is silly but it portrays contemporary people quite well. It shows modern big city yuppie America is moral mess. On the other hand there are some Christian oriented articles and work of arts in the US that scream Morals! Morals! Don't cross the line. Red flag! Go back to church on Sunday and stick to your family and ten commandments. These are two extremes but quite typical for the US these days and these extremes shake all the world these days. So I would beware of such extremes and encourage myself and others
to look for the truth that is not left or right, good or bad, but comes out of balance of the opposites.

Catholic principles of sexual morals don't work. I have several Catholic friends whom I respect as people and I love them. But they could never solve the problem of "moral sexuality" in their lives. One became a priest and gave up sex completely, another one was a victim of men who were alcoholics or women hunters while being Catholic, too. To try to force Catholic principles into bedrooms of people is useless. It will never work.
As far as I know, it is sin even to think about sex, it is sin even to enjoy sex, it is sin to have sex other than in order to have children. So what kind of moral sex do people look for? Either have fun - but be sensitive and care about the ones who love you and consider consequences of your acting - or give it up completely.
0 Replies

stach

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:16 pm
We opened a can of worms.... or diamonds...

Some points: I don't think it is no chemistry or all chemistry. She sometimes turned me on and sometimes not. Sometimes sex is great, sometimes not.

So sometimes we hit rock bottom and sometimes it was romantic. Sometimes we gave up and sometimes we were optimistic.

Plus we're not getting married tomorrow. Maybe in two years if everything continues well.

The relationship started as a childish, silly flirt. Now it has depths, maturity,
peace, romantic elements, fun.

I never said I had lovers or cheated on her. I have no idea if she has ever cheated on me. The only thing I can state is that we have a kind of agreement of tolerance. If it happens, it happens, no big deal.

You say you believe in love whre there is no sex. BUt you say it is not marriage.

Well there are people who do love each other, marry each other and don't
have sex or have it only exceptionally or when they really want to have children only.

As a Buddhist, I am not someone who gave up sex or pleasure, I have not given up desire. But to be a Buddhist to me it means you always, always go back to your real everyday life. Was your sex boring last night? OK< here you are busy making coffee so what. I am not obsessed with sex.
When I do become obsessed, I shake my head in disbelief.

Aidan, you are definitely an exceptionally intelligent, mature and experienced woman. But, still, you are too romantic and idealistic for me.
And this does not mean I am a better person. I may be much worse than you. I just don't share and don't believe your philosophy of love and sex.
Anyway, one of those catholic friends has exactly the same or almost the same opinions like you. So what, we love each other anyway.

ANd I can imagine my girlfriend would agree with you. But only in general.
She loves me because I act the way she wants a partner act. Not always, but most of the time and that is more important to her than philosophy.
IRL I am someone she loves no matter what we write here. And IRL she is someone I love no matter what I write here. Life is subtle. Words are harsh.

Thank you.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:35 pm
I get your stance much better now Stach. And as you state it in your last point- I agree with alot of what you say.

I know you're right- I am very idealistic. But I don't believe in one perfect love for every person- from my own experience- I know that's often not how it works out. You can love different people for different reasons. It's just that as well as being idealistic- I'm also too prone to jealousy for that (loving more than one person sexually at a time) to work for me. But I fully accept it can work for others - more power to them.
And I know EXACTLY what you mean about things being like sex in the city these days (even though I've never watched it - I think I have the general gist of it). My students have told me- when I've expressed some opinion about how they (most are young men) should RESPECT women, 'Miss - the girls today don't act or believe like you do - they don't respect THEMSELVES...'
And then I hear the girls talking and try to impress on them how to respect themselves and act like a lady - and they just say, 'Miss, it's so different now - that would never work...'
It all strikes me as pretty sad.

But your relationship sounds like its based on mutual respect. And yes, you know, I do believe that's at least, if not more important, than 24 hour seven day a week sexual chemistry and excitement.

I wish you guys good luck.
0 Replies

stach

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 05:35 am
thank you again and i would also add that playing with cheating, having more than one sexual partner is not something i would recommend, it is too complicated to handle for most people, it will do more harm than good in most cases - i think it could work if both have the same attitude to it and if it happens only occasionally - i only believe that if the sexual tension is too sleepy between partners, some misbehaving may trigger new interest and help the couple to wake up sexually
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 07:30 pm
I think it is interesting that you said most of the time, sex for you is boring. Then you say SHE is boring in bed.

I think you need to explore this INTERNALLY.

I think that you need to explore WHY you find this incredible woman BORING in bed. (Doesn't she move well? Does she not smell good?)

This all doesn't FIT - if she is so incredible, then you should be turned on by her!! You two should be crazy about each other. I am not getting thatvibe from your posts.

Maybe the excitment is gone because the "chase" is over (it turns you on when you think she's been with other men or even thinking about them) Maybe THAT's why you are bored.

If this doesn't get better or resolved, let her go. It is demeaning to live with someone who thinks you are boring in bed.

She deserves better - and maybe you need something else, too.
0 Replies