CONTEST MEATS: Glazed Corned Beef

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 04:57 pm
GLAZED CORNED BEEF
By BumbleBeeBoogie

When I was a very young bride, I was preparing my first dinner party for my parents and other relatives. I planned to serve my very first large corned beef roast. I prepared it and placed it in the oven. I watched it nervously to see if it was done, but each time I took it out of the oven, it was still red, so I would put it back in the oven to bake some more. But it never got brown. I called my mother in a panic and cried "no matter how long I cook my roast, it won't get done and turn brown". That's when my mother told me corned beef remains red, even when its over-done. My dinner party was a success even if my face was as red as my corned beef remained.

1 6 to 10 pound corned beef brisket, excess fat trimmed off
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons packaged pickling spices
1 large onion, halved and cut into thick slices

Place the corned beef in a large pot with the pickling spices and onion with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, skimming off any scum that rises to the top. Lower the heat and simmer covered for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until tender. Cool the meat in the cooking water.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

GLAZE:
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Combine the ingredients. Transfer the cooked corned beef to a roasting pan and coat with the glaze. Bake uncovered, basting occasionally, for 1 hour. Serves 8 to 12. Wonderful accompanied by Schroeder's red cabbage and potato pancakes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,400 • Replies: 1
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 05:55 pm
CONTEST SIDE DISHES: SCHROEDER'S GERMAN RED CABBAGE
SCHROEDER'S GERMAN RED CABBAGE
The original recipe from San Francisco's famous restaurant
Courtesy of BumbleBeeBoogie

1 4-pound red cabbage
2 cups boiling chicken or veal stock
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and coarsely grated
2 whole cloves (place in cheesecloth)
1/2 stick cinnamon (place in cheesecloth)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup red wine

Remove wilted leaves, if any, from the cabbage. Cut the head in half and remove the core. Shred the cabbage finely. Place the cabbage in a large saucepan, pour boiling stock over it, add the butter and cook for 30 minutes over low heat. Add the vinegar, apples, sugar, salt and pepper.

Tie with string the 4 cloves and cinnamon stick in a cheesecloth square and add it to the cabbage and cook for another 30 minutes, stirring frequently.

Ten minutes before serving, add the red wine and simmer until ready to serve. Remove the cheesecloth-tied cloves and cinnamon stick.

Serves 6.
0 Replies