Pro Gun arguments go something like this :

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 03:11 pm
todays news;
Two missionaries-in-training were killed early today and two more were wounded when a gunman burst into a residence hall at the Youth With a Mission center in the Denver suburb of Arvada, the police said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More people carrying guns is what we need...
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 04:42 pm
I suspect when the details are known, the jerk(s) in Colorado will be a former convict or a former mental patient, and not legally entitled to own a firearm.

Just like the jerk in Nebraska wasn't legally entitled to own a firearm.

Just like the jerk at Virginia Tech wasn't legally entitled to own a firearm.

The problem isn't that we don't have enough firearm laws. The problem is that the existing laws aren't being enforced.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 04:50 pm
Jim wrote:
The problem isn't that we don't have enough firearm laws. The problem is that the existing laws aren't being enforced.
By your argument all the needed material for an atomic bomb can be made readily available as long as there are sufficient laws on the books and said laws are sufficiently enforced.

By your argument the term "temping fate" has no bearing as long as there are sufficient laws on the books and said laws are sufficiently enforced.

By your argument the term "human nature" has no bearing as long as there are sufficient laws on the books and said laws are sufficiently enforced.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 05:06 pm
Well Chumly, my friend, by your logic we need a government to watch over us every second of the day, and to make every decision for us, because people are incapable of living their own lives.

Sorry, I think I'll pass.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 05:21 pm
Jim wrote:
Well Chumly, my friend, by your logic we need a government to watch over us every second of the day, and to make every decision for us, because people are incapable of living their own lives.
False.

You make the error of the Straw Man Logical Fallacy, thus you deliberately misrepresent and misleadingly overstate my position.

You also make the error of the logical fallacy called "Non Causa Pro Caus" by inferring a false causal relation thus your claim also violates the canons of good reasoning about causation.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 05:51 pm
dyslexia wrote:
todays news;
Two missionaries-in-training were killed early today and two more were wounded when a gunman burst into a residence hall at the Youth With a Mission center in the Denver suburb of Arvada, the police said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More people carrying guns is what we need...

Yes: THE VICTIMS needed to shoot back
thereby extinguishing the threat.

Thay got killed because thay were unarmed, obeying gun control laws.
Gun control laws produce death.

In such circumstances, survival depends upon swift and successful counterattack.
In such circumstances defensive gunnery is the Fountain of Life.

Remember, murderers did not wait until guns were invented
to begin killing people.

The repressionists want to remove guns, saying they are sometimes used to facilitate crime.
They fail to understand that the actual weapon is the HUMAN MIND,
whose cleverness has not been controlled nor restrained (even in prison).
This mind expresses itself perseveringly, into the manifestation of its felt needs or desires,
and it has FOREVER to do the job that it selects
(e.g., the art of the gunsmith/merchant).
Prohibition is futile.

Disarming the victims
promotes MORE crime and death.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 06:08 pm
Jim wrote:
I suspect when the details are known, the jerk(s) in Colorado will be a former convict or a former mental patient, and not legally entitled to own a firearm.

Just like the jerk in Nebraska wasn't legally entitled to own a firearm.

Just like the jerk at Virginia Tech wasn't legally entitled to own a firearm.

The problem isn't that we don't have enough firearm laws.

The problem is that the existing laws aren't being enforced.

Most respectfully, Jim, I dissent.
Gun control laws are unconstitutional.
Gun control laws are unAmerican.
Gun control laws are immoral, favoring the criminal predator over his victim.
Gun control laws are futile and unenforcible against criminals;
( thay have even made their own guns IN PRISON ).

Criminals cannot be compelled to obey laws.
If thay cud be, there 'd be no crime.
The laws against marijuana and against heroin are enforced as well as government can do it.
The law against alcohol was enforced as well as government cud do it in the 1920s.
People who choose to get the prohibited stuff get it anyway.
That is a historical fact.

( I think that 's testament to the freedom of the HUMAN SPIRIT. )
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 06:19 pm
Quote:
In such circumstances, survival depends upon swift and successful counterattack.

While I do not nessecarily agree with your opinion, even though I must admit that you have a point, I would like to commend you on your phrasing. I find it very humorous. Smile
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 06:42 pm
Chumly, I'm afraid sophistry and word games don't make a very convincing argument.

Your argument regarding nuclear weapons is invalid, because the Constitution does not guarantee the right to possess nuclear weapons. The Constitution does guarantee the right to bear arms.

If guns must be outlawed because we cannot trust criminals not to misuse them, then why stop there? Why not ban cars, because we cannot trust drunks not to drive and kill people?

Or instead, why don't we enforce the laws, and hold people accountable for their actions?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 06:58 pm
The problem with guns is that it takes very little skill.

Back in the days, if you wanted to kill someone you'd have to do it with a sword or a bow, or with your bare hands. Nowadays you just have to pull a trigger.

The point is that learning the skill needed to wield bow or sword takes dicipline. It creates a dynamic system in which those who are most skilled tend to be those who are most balanced of mind and body. A sort of justice is formed which is lost to us today, since the point and click approach is so easy even an ape could do it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 07:36 pm
Jim wrote:
Chumly, I'm afraid sophistry and word games don't make a very convincing argument.
Your ignorance of argumentation theory and logical fallacies is your problem. Your inability to express yourself with rationality, logicality and congruency is your problem.
Jim wrote:
Your argument regarding nuclear weapons is invalid, because the Constitution does not guarantee the right to possess nuclear weapons. The Constitution does guarantee the right to bear arms.
1) Your claim is a Straw Man Logical Fallacy thus you deliberately misrepresent; you made the claim that "The problem is that the existing laws aren't being enforced" you did not make a claim in reference to interpretations of constitutionality.

2) Further your claim is also the logical fallacy called "Argumentum Ad Antiquitatem" in which a thesis is deemed correct on the basis that it correlates with tradition.

3) Further assuming you can ever get past 1) and 2) you will then have then to argue against the Constitutional Amendments because the Constitutional Amendments prove the Constitution can change.

4) Further assuming you can ever get past 1) and 2) and 3) you will have to explain why nuclear-powered arms cannot be considered within the Constitution as to bearing arms, but gunpowder-powered arms can be considered within the Constitution as to bearing arms.

Jim wrote:
If guns must be outlawed because we cannot trust criminals not to misuse them, then why stop there?
You make the error of the Straw Man Logical Fallacy, thus you deliberately misrepresent my position as I made no such claim that guns must be outlawed.
Jim wrote:
Why not ban cars, because we cannot trust drunks not to drive and kill people?
You make the Slippery Slope Logical Fallacy by arguing for the likelihood of one event or trend given another. You also spew another Straw Man Logical Fallacy, thus you deliberately misrepresent my position as I made no such claim that cars should be banned.
Jim wrote:
Or instead, why don't we enforce the laws, and hold people accountable for their actions?
You make the error of the Argumentum ad nauseam Logical Fallacy by repeating the same drivel until nobody cares to discuss it anymore.

Also you never provided a rational and logical response to my post # 2983160 as re-quoted here:
Chumly wrote:
Jim wrote:
False.

You make the error of the Straw Man Logical Fallacy, thus you deliberately misrepresent and misleadingly overstate my position. I never said any such thing that "we need a government to watch over us every second of the day, and to make every decision for us, because people are incapable of living their own lives".

You also make the error of the logical fallacy called "Non Causa Pro Caus" by inferring a false causal relation thus your claim also violates the canons of good reasoning about causation.
You have aptly shown your posts are irrational, illogical and incongruent.

Do you homework, learn about the topics at hand, and express yourself
with rationality, logicality and congruency.

In sum unless or until you respond to my posts in a rational, logical, congruent manner starting with post 2983160 as per the above, you deserve no further response.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 09:58 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

While I do not nessecarily agree with your opinion,
even though I must admit that you have a point,
I would like to commend you on your phrasing.

I find it very humorous. Smile

Some years ago, I was slowly driving home from my girlfriend 's house
on Long Island, NY at around 1 AM.

I was alone on the road ( Rt. 109 ) except for an old car immediately
behind me, in the right lane. After a while, I heard a noise,
and saw a bullet hole in my left door window,
about 3 inches forward of me, and I saw that the old car had
pulled up abreast of me, remaining at my speed.
I did not change speed nor direction, and after about 20 seconds,
it fled the scene. I found some humor in the incident.

Winston Churchill said that its exhiliarating to be shot at
without effect. I did not find it exhiliarating, but I got a chuckle out of it.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 10:12 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
The problem with guns is that it takes very little skill.

Back in the days, if you wanted to kill someone you'd have to do it with a sword or a bow,
or with your bare hands. Nowadays you just have to pull a trigger.

The point is that learning the skill needed to wield bow or sword takes dicipline.
It creates a dynamic system in which those who are most skilled
tend to be those who are most balanced of mind and body.
A sort of justice is formed which is lost to us today,
since the point and click approach is so easy even an ape could do it.

Do u propose adopting the culture of the Japanese Samurai society ?

What about the defense of the elderly, the infirm or the very young ?
Shud we require them to just take their chances,
or to stoically accept death,
in the discretion of whatever man or beast opts to prey upon them ?

because thay r expendable ?

What about = protection of the laws ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 01:58 am
vikorr wrote:
I was simply pointing out the self fullfilling / self reinforcing nature of the pro gun argument :wink:

Do you find it to be innacurate in any way?

Yes.
Those are not our arguments.
David
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 04:08 am
David, it was mostly your arguments that lead me to see the self reinforcing aspects of the pro gun arguments.

As you quoted me...how about answering the question. Do you find it to be inaccurate in any way?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 05:44 am
vikorr wrote:

Quote:
David, it was mostly your arguments that lead me to see
the self reinforcing aspects of the pro gun arguments.

Those are NOT our arguments.
Thay r YOUR fony straw man rip down ideas.

Quote:
As you quoted me...how about answering the question.
Do you find it to be inaccurate in any way?

Yes, of course.
Legality has nothing to do with whether criminals will arm
themselves
, in that criminals have no interest in obeying laws.
Only future victims who care more about obeying laws
than thay do about their own survival,
and that of their family, are interested in that.

If criminals are willing to ignore the laws against ROBBERY;
if criminals are willing to disregard the laws against MURDER,
HOW can we convince them to OBEY "gun control" laws ?

Explain that to me ?

David
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 07:01 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

While I do not nessecarily agree with your opinion, even though I must admit that you have a point, I would like to commend you on your phrasing. I find it very humorous. Smile

You really think he had a point? Really? Confused
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 07:03 am
If a Criminal is willing to break the speed limit, who is to say he won't RAPE someone the very next day?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 01:38 pm
Quote:
Those are NOT our arguments.
Thay r YOUR fony straw man rip down ideas.

Perhaps you could be more specific. I'm having a hard time finding anyone who can actually say that there is anything specifically wrong with any specific concept in the original post.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 02:31 pm
To clarify my above post, arguments over 'legality' are a separate issue to the self reinforcing perception of need to possess firearms - which is what my original post was about.

I guess the original post would be clearer if I had just left the word 'legal' out.
0 Replies