Do You Have a Stir-Fry Beef Recipe?

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 03:13 pm
I bought the makings for stir-fry beef. Cubed beef, broccoli florets, snow peas. I figured I'd get a recipe from the Internet, but my computer is misbehaving, and I can't get nuttin' from the Internet.

Does anybody have a recipe? Something simple.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,088 • Replies: 11
No top replies

caribou

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 03:24 pm
I found this simple one....
Easy Beef Stir-Fry
Prep: 10 min, Cook: 10 min.
1 Tbs. peanut oil
1 lb. lean beef strips
1 tsp. five-spice powder
3 ounces Chinese dried mushrooms, soaked in warm water 15 minutes until soft, drained
10 ounces fresh or frozen pea pods, thawed if frozen
Heat oil in a wok or heavy nonstick skillet over high heat. Stir fry beef and five-spice powder 2 minutes or until browned. Add drained mushrooms and pea pods. Stir fry 2-3 minutes until pea pods are tender-crisp.

But, really, when I do Chinese style cooking, I make it up.
With what you have...
I do the meat in the lidded frying pan, with some sort of oil and spices.
When it's done, I'd probably cheat and take it out, set it aside, add a little water or soysauce to the pan then add the broccoli and peas, trying to steam them abit... When they are close to done, I'd throw the meat back in and some more of whatever spices or sauces you can find in the kitchen.

Hopefully a better cook than I will come along and give you a better suggestion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 03:28 pm
I'll find you a few, Roberta. I used to do that all the time, way back when.
you'll probably get a lot of posts.

Inquiry to rule out recipes..
Do you have soy sauce? or some kind of, gakkkk, packaged sauce mix? scallions? garlic? any ginger moldering away? What kind of oil do you have at hand? any sesame oil? any rice wine or vinegar in the back of the cupboard?

If not, never fear.. I myself made some godawful italianesque tofu recently.. the thing about stir fry is the method, not entirely about the ingredients.

(I have very physical memories of pounding the hell out of flank steak..)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 03:54 pm
OK, here's a Basic Stir-fried Beef recipe from a cookbook I used to use. Love a duck, it's put out by Ortho (Ortho!) and is called Adventures in Oriental Cooking. That'll tell you how old it is. Yeh, 1976.

ingredients - natch, one varies this all over the kazoo

1 lb of boneless beef

Marinade -
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon corn starch (I never used corn starch)
1/2 teaspoon salt (eek! on top of soy sauce?)
2 teaspoons sherry or rice wine
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ginger root, minced or grated (dunno about powder)

Salad oil for frying. I can't remember what I used, peanut, safflower, canola, eh?

4 cups of cut up vegetables (whatever)
2 tablespoons water (optional, depends upon water content of vegetable)

Gravy:
1 tablespoon each cornstarch and soy sauce mixed with 1/2 cup water. Me, I skipped the cornstarch

(Procedure:)

1. Cut meat in strips 2" wide, Holding blade at 45 degree angle, slice each srip across the grain in 1/4" narrow pieces. Season (on the board) with soy sauace, cornstarch, salt, sherry, garlic, and ginger. I guess that is what they mean by marinade.
Let stand 15 minutes.

2. Heat a wok or frying pan. Pour in 2 tablesppons oil, swirl it about in the pan, and heat. Add beef; stir-fry over high heat until browned outside, pink inside, about 2 minutes. (Cook in two batches if pan does not stay hot enough.)
Remove from pan.

3. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in same pan. Add vegetables and stir-fry about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt. (Heh.) If you are using vegetables that are very firm, add 2 tablespoons water and cover if necessary. Cook vegetables only until crisp-tender. Return meat to pan, Stir gravy to recombine, pour ito pan, and cook until thickened (presuming you added cornstarch), about 30 seconds. Serves 5 to 6 as a main course with rice.

So, I did that probably a zillion times, with variations, until I turned into an italian food nut.

If you don't have soy sauce, then I'd use some salt in water, I guess.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 03:55 pm
This is damned dangerous... I just noticed the recipe for Melting Spareribs with BlackBean Sauce..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 04:22 pm
Here's a recipe with both snow peas and broccoli -
from http://www.healthyactive.gov.au

500g cooked Hokkien egg noodles
2 teaspoons oil
400g rump steak, sliced
1 medium brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon ginger, peeled & grated
1/ 2head broccoli, cut into florets
100g snowpeas, ends & strings removed
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon cornflour
1/2tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
1 teaspoon chilli sauce

Prepare noodles following packet directions.
Heat oil in pan, stir-fry beef in two batches, set aside and keep warm. Add onion, garlic and ginger, cooking until onion is translucent.
Add broccoli, snow peas and water, cooking until vegetables soften.
Return beef to pan.
In a small bowl combine water, cornflour and sauces.
Stir through beef and vegetables and allow to bubble and thicken.

Serve with noodles. Serves 4.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 05:42 pm
Thanks all. Based on what you've given me, I think I can come up with something edible from the ingredients I have in the house. (I have onions and garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil.) No ginger. No corn starch. No oyster sauce. But I think something will work.

I don't know what possessed me to buy something without knowing for sure what to do with it or what else I might need. Not gonna buy ingredients I'm gonna use only once. So what I've got is what I'll use.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 05:49 pm
That's half the fun, 'Boita. About once a month, I see what kinda strange odds and ends I got, then I experiment. Shocked

RH
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:06 am
First surprise. I didn't buy the makings for beef stir fry. I bought the makings for chicken stir fry. I only thought it was beef. Decided to plunge ahead.

I used Osso's recipe, with the noodles. No noodles, but it looked easy, and I had a fair number of the ingredients.

Precooked the chicken and removed it from the pan. Added my chopped onion and ground garlic. Added the veggies. Let 'em cook longer than I was supposed to--I like them a little mushy. Added soy sauce with flour (no corn starch) and water.

This meal was not half bad. I'd have it again, which is a good thing because I have enough left for a meal on Monday.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:35 am
Welcome...

I seem to remember that if and when adding sesame oil, it is generally added only when the stir fry is already cooked, and not in a very big amount. Correct me if I'm off base here, folks.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:41 am
If your doing strips of beef add Chinese 5 Spice sauce!!!Im having that tonight.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 12:44 pm
yummy
Brown beef in skillet. Take out, set aside. Add a bit of good olive oil. Add a cloce, crushed, garlic, and some onion. Sautee three ot four minutes. Add a few pads of butter, melt down. Add two to three tabllespoons of flour. mix and cook flour a couple minutes. Add chicken stock, bring to boil, and then simmer. Add brocolli, beef and peas. Simmer for ten. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over any type of pasta, or rice. save me some
0 Replies