Donating Art

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 09:45 pm
Has anyone here had any luck donating art to charity? I have tried contacting my local pet shelters and ASPCA shelters and other organizations online and leaving phone messages about donating art for them to use in their auctions, but I can never seem to get through to anyone.

If it was just the fact that they didn't like my work I could understand, but I can't even get someone on the phone.

I want to help, but I really don't have any money to give. I thought this would be a win win for all involved. I could help a cause I believe in while getting my work out there in front of some people. I am offering my work at a 100% donation, I don't want any financial compensation from the organizations.

Any help or pointers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,204 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 12:20 am
Hmmm. I donated one of my paintings to UCLA, the breast cancer center specifically, and they were terrific about it (told me it was well loved, and invited me to an elegant donor's event, both having it loved and going to the event a pleasure) - but I don't remember now the circumstances of how that came about. I may have seen a contact name in the newspaper and followed up on it.

I was invited to donate to a local museum in northern california, via a thing they do, or did, once a year, involving selected artists doing small paintings that would then be auctioned. They even gave the artists the canvases. That was a lot of fun... some of the works didn't even look like paintings, the artists using the canvas as a starter substrate...
but of course I was pleased to be on the list in the first place.

On the ASPCA, they may be short handed, or the person hearing the message, if you left one, might not have known what the policy would be about donated art.

The gallery my partner and I had veered from our one person show concept just once during the time I was involved in it, and that was to do a Dog Show. We had 35 artists doing 45 works, as I remember. Didn't sell much, ahem, but it was very popular for people to visit. If you're really gung ho, maybe you could organize something like that...
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:04 pm
Hmm...maybe I should just start my own organization. My husband could do a website and I could try to gather artists willing to donate. I really am not the best at organizing things like this and I have no idea how to go about organizing and running an auction.

It is something I will definitely have to look into.

Thanks Osso! Very Happy
0 Replies