The Next Logical Step: how would you change people

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:03 pm
All right, let's look at the lighter side of tampering with nature. Genesplicing, cloning, immortality... Sure, none of us want a sudden plague of giant gila monsters, or carrots that are smarter than we are, but there must be some practical, or at least properly whimsical use for this new technology. I figure if the human race is doing it, there must be an itch we want to collectively scratch. Maybe we just want to evolve a little faster. But what do we want exactly?

I offer the question: what do you think would be an improvement on our biological state. OK, no-death is the obvious one... but more than that. What new limbs do we? Is it time, for example for people to come with wheels instead of these silly leg/feet things? I mean, we don't make cars that waddle around the landscape and bump there shins... we know wheels are better than that; they're our (maybe) fourth great invention after all. What new organs would be an improvement on the set we currently have? Appliances, appendages... Give me your thoughts. I'll take anything from a 'Get out of here you nut!' to your treatise, 'gills, the pros and cons...'

Go for it friends...

Idea
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,207 • Replies: 19
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:05 pm
new stuff? why not start with fixing the old stuff? Better knees, hips and shoulders!
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:29 pm
Smile
Very Happy

Little K! Hiya! Agreed. Knees hips and elbows are not so well conceived... These little items need improvement. Really, the way we get around is weird. If a first year engineering student got the assigment of putting together a practical method of foward locomotion, why do I think that bipedal walking would not be one of the prize winning solutions? It's strange. We balance upright on our hind legs, then lean forward, committing our weight while we swing out a leg, then the other, then the other, to catch ourselves.

What is it, 1400 pounds per square inch on the ankle? Some ridiculous number. The wonder is these parts don't wear out sooner, I guess.

All of that is why I love tai ch'i. Knees hips ankles elbows necks... the places where we fold...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 11:27 pm
Hi, Beedlesquoink. I think wings might be nice, for hovering and quick darts to the store. Revving them up and keeping our bodies in the air could work off some calories.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 11:49 pm
Wings are a great idea, as are improved knees and hips. I saw a comedian a long time ago who recommended velcro arms -- because what do you do with them when you sleep? They just get in the way. I've found that to be true, so I vote for velcro or otherwise removable arms to aid in sleeping comfortably.

Also, it would be nice to have a neck that would stretch to obsene lengths to view above a crowd.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:19 am
Liberty, How would we get our arms back on in the morning? Assuming, of course, that our hands are connected to them? Sorry for being such a pragmatist.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:54 am
There's a similar thread called "Body Modification" with some neat ideas in it.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=284704#284704
What? The sporting highlights?

The indominatable alterreality wrote:
I dunno. I Think gills would be cool. I see why some would think it was inethical but I porbably would have gills if I could. that'd be cool.

BoGoWo Ya Know wrote:
I have one you might like;
I call it a "set".
It is a neural implant contacting through a small cap placed on the top (rear) of the head.
It has the properties of a phone, radio, computer, information storage, record keeping device, and much more, all combined in a tiny package, directly connected to your brain.

The Most Stylish Portal Star wrote:
I think it would be cool to have retractable camoflauge hair. Any length, any color, any time. I could make it look like a brick wall if I wanted, or like a painting. That would be fun.

The infamous cavfancier wrote:
If I could surgically alter myself, I would want a head that turned 360 degrees like an owl's head, if only to freak out people who talked behind me at the movies. Hmm....since X-men came up, adamantium claws would be cool....yep, Wolverine's claws and an owl head. That would rock.

But wait, there's more! If you order now, we'll include our famous genetic cross-chromosomal intersplicing and synapse-enrichened mutational dynamics system absolutely FREE!
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 01:10 am
All of this for the low price of $19.95!

Roberta...there could be some kind of "hanger" where you could just move in, snap your arm in, and unhinge it...vice-versa to get them back on in the morning. You know, like the hangers for dust-busters. No extra hands or fingers required. It would be great! Wink
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 01:50 am
How much would they charge for an arm and a leg?

You'd probably have to give up your first-born . . . thing.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:14 am
I think it would be kool to be able tomorph into anything like that guy otto off 1 of the star treks ...donno what 1 i dont watch those shows just seen it the other day as I was reading.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:55 am
Back/Spine - I've suffered from a bad-back for about 10 years, and would definately welcome an improvement in the general design

Testicles - Obviously have their uses, but they should be moved to somewhere less vunerable to injury!

Feet - No need for toenails so they can go (time saved cutting them). The soles should be thicker to reduce the need for shoes in temperate/tropical climates

Hair (wheresoever located) - Should be able to control growth at will. Get a haircut you actually like then suspend growth to save getting it cut again until you fancy a change. This would also apply to face/back/shoulders (men) or legs/armpits/etc. (women)

Fingers - More of them, for general all-round usefullness

Eyes - Better quality, longer-lasting, sharper focus/resolution,magnifying qualities

Ears - Better quality, smaller, no wax, no hairs

Teeth - Stronger, sharper, self-cleaning

Nipples - More

And that's about all for now. I'm sure I can think of some more though...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 04:39 am
I would like to see us become wacky wall walkers, so that we could clean our outside windows, no matter how high. I also would like us to have the kind of skin beneath the arms that allows flying squirrels to glide to the ground.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 05:03 am
The ability to phase through solid matter. Less death by car accidents. That, adamantium claws and owl heads. Laughing I can't believe I'm infamous...
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:10 am
All good stuff...

How about two way knee, hip and elbow joints and fully swivelable (sp?) necks so we can sit facing either way...

(Now that's an odd idea, you say...)

Snorkling enthusiasts might find useful a more pachydermic style schnozz.

And what's with the thumb? I mean its opposability is supposedly what got us on this evolutionary track, but that doesn't mean the idea can't be perfected. How about an extra thumb, just so your hands can have loyal opposition. Or is that just me being twistedly poetic; it gets so hard to tell, I'm sure.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:13 am
Hands should have 2 thumbs each and be symmetrical. And we should all be ambidextrous.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:25 am
I suggest full-on plastic man powers.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:33 am
Yes cav, but we can lose that annoying orange stripe in the plasticman uniform... no matter what he turned into it had that stripe. You would figure that the villains would figure it out after a while.

But in general, yes: multimorphism appeals.
0 Replies

tekana

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 08:19 am
it would be nice to abandon the use for bras, better boobs is on my list.

and you should be able to choose what colours your eyes are. and change them at will.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 10:15 am
Eliminate fat cells' ability to replicate.

Eliminate skin's susceptibility to sun damage and age-related wrinkling.

Get rid of sinuses entirely.
0 Replies

tekana

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 10:16 am
and say goodbye to BO
0 Replies