speeding ticket.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 09:17 am
dadpad wrote:
Nobody pays any attention to your "record" where speeding or parking fines are concerned.

Depending on your jurisdiction it (speeding) can fairly quickly lead to significant insurance increases and loss of driving licenses.

Here in Ontario it doesn't take too much.

One big catch right now can lead to a fine of up to $10,000, suspension of license, and impounding of the vehicle.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 09:28 am
dadpad wrote:
I'm surprised at the attitude.

1. its against the law to speed because speeding endangers other road users.

That's the theory, but it's not necessarily true. If the arbitrary posted speed limit is set too low for the existing road conditions, exceeding it does not necessarily "endanger" other drivers. In fact, if you are keeping up with traffic and everyone is exceeding the speed limit, I would argue you are "endangering" other drivers if you drive at a lower speed. Traffic that is moving along, but suddenly slows down because of a slow driver causes quite a few accidents here where I live.

In fact, here in Arizona, the law doesn't say it's a violation of the law merely because you exceed the posted speed limit ... it says:

"A person shall not drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the circumstances, conditions and actual and potential hazards then existing."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 09:40 am
Ticomaya wrote:
"A person shall not drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the circumstances, conditions and actual and potential hazards then existing"

In Ontario, they use the same wording to charge - and convict - drivers when they are in fact driving below the posted limit - but the conditions don't support driving at even that lowered speed.

Same thing for Michigan (we just had a seminar on it yesterday).
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:49 am
Rockhead wrote:
I coulda represented myself, the "smoker" just looks REALLY nice in his "court" suit....

Im listening..

care to elaborate?? Cool
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 12:08 pm
If I didn't let him do something for me, he could never keep up with his auto repair bills.... Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 12:14 pm
Yeah, well I didn't realize you were checking me out. Shocked

Laughing
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 12:18 pm
Isn't your AMC Pacer due for it's oil change, Smoky??? Cool
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 12:25 pm
Low blow, stone dome.

Low blow.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 12:49 pm
What is the legal background that speeding gets you up in insurance (and exactly in what insurance)?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:03 pm
I'm fairly sure Insurance companies here in OZ don't get to look at your driving record.

They do ask about traffic infringements in the last 5 years on the propsal application, but I don't think they can access records unless it goes to Perrin court.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:47 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
What is the legal background that speeding gets you up in insurance (and exactly in what insurance)?

Walter, speeding tickets will raise the premium of your auto insurance.
Depending on the insurance, it can get costly.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:41 pm
I imagine that, in court, your argument that you really needed to go to court would be negated by the fact that you managed to hold it in on the side of the road for 5 minutes or more while the officer wrote the ticket.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 12:30 am
This all reminds me of when I had to throw up when I was going through customs... at least then, there weren't any bathrooms in the customs area.

One look at my face and they knew... and the person I was with finished out the inspection of our bags while I ran outside to the regular area restroom.

I've no idea if it is worth going to court yourself, or hiring an attorney. Just listening, except for this charming memory.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 02:54 am
One speeding ticket is not going to raise your insurance rates.
Pay the frigging ticket.
And the next time you have to go, stop somewhere and go.

Joe(Then go home.)Nation
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:09 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Pay the frigging ticket.

Joe(Then go home.)Nation

Well said Joe.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:35 am
dadpad wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Pay the frigging ticket.

Joe(Then go home.)Nation

Well said Joe.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:40 am
martybarker wrote:
dadpad wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Pay the frigging ticket.

Joe(Then go home.)Nation

Well said Joe.

Rolling Eyes

Don't you roll your eyes at me in that tone of voice young lady!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 04:29 am
No, seriously, Marty, you're screwed. As soon as you try to use the "I hadda go" excuse for speeding and it was urgent, the judge is going to look at the circumstances of the incident.

Unless you peed your pants while standing next to your car while the cop looked up your record (and he/she did) and wrote the ticket, you can't show the urgency you claim.

The judge is going to ask you, why didn't you stop at any of the fifty to a hundred places between points A and B to take care of the problem?

You're going to mumble something about how justice has changed since Paris Hilton came on the scene, then the judge is going to make you pay the whole amount.

What a waste of everyone's time. Pay the ticket.

Joe(and next time, go ahead and pee your pants, maybe the cop won't write the ticket.)Nation
0 Replies