"The Smoking Gun" on TV

PDiddie

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 05:48 pm
(It's about to start...)

Quote:
Television is an efficient biosphere where the perfect predator evolves for every species in the food chain. If reality shows are the coral reef of prime time, then the television-oriented Web site, the Smoking Gun, is its crown-of-thorns starfish.

It was the Smoking Gun (thesmokinggun.com) that revealed in 2000 that Rick Rockwell, the beau ideal of the hit FOX show "Who Wants to Marry a Multimillionaire," had once been under a restraining order from a former girlfriend. The Smoking Gun, which digs up arrest records, mug shots, show business contracts and divorce papers, became a tip sheet for journalists and a cult Web site for reality show aficionados. It managed to embarrass seemingly squeaky-clean contestants on reality shows from CBS's "Survivor" to Fox's "Joe Millionaire." (Most memorably, it uncovered the early bondage films of a bachelorette, Sarah Kozer.)

Inevitably, but contrary to the laws of nature, the Web site will mutate tonight into the very thing it feeds on: a television show.

"Smoking Gun TV" is Court TV's effort to lighten its deadly earnest schedule ("Forensic Files" and "Catherine Crier Live") with an irreverent, but court-document-based look at celebrity misdeeds. The cable channel bought the Web site three years ago. The host of "Smoking Gun TV" is Mo Rocca, a lanky political reporter on Comedy Central's "Daily Show With Jon Stewart."

You've seen the Website. Now see the TV Show.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 947 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 06:00 pm
PS Mo Rocca can also be seen on VH-1's "I Love the 70s" (he also did "I Love the 80s).
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 06:06 pm
I started to watch the Smoking Gun show but I did not find it particularly entertaining. I thought it dragged so I switched the channel. Can't remember what I watched instead cause I fell asleep. It's hell to get old Wink
0 Replies