Smackdown: Pizza: Big Apple v. Big Shoulders v. Boutique

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 07:43 pm
I met an interesting man the other day and, as it so often does, the topic turned to pizza. New York v. Chicago v. Boutique pizza to be exact.

He preferred New York style.

I love New York style but like it extra crispy. I don't want to be able to fold it. So it really isn't New York style anymore. Given a choice I would go with Chicago style if I could find the good stuff. Pizzaria Uno style with the semi-gritty crust and the wine heavy sauce. Problem is, I can't find the good stuff so I settle for New York style.

"That's not pizza, that's a casserole!" says new friend though he does admit that Uno makes a good pie.

We both sniffed at boutique style pizza but, judging by the number of shops selling boutique style pizza that is the most popular around here.

So, vote!

New York, Chicago or Boutique?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,956 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:03 pm
I voted boutique.

I'm assuming boutique = California or gourmet style. If not, I don't know what it is. Can you describe it?

I'd walk a mile for Barbecue Garlic Chicken pizza....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:08 pm
That would definately be boutique!

I can't really describe it other than to say it is neither New York or Chicago style.

There is one boutique style pizza I adore called a margahreta (?) pizza that is thin crust brushed with olive oil and garlic, cheese and sliced tomatos. Yummy.

I like barbeque chicken pizza too!

Really, I just like pizza. You get your four basic food groups in one nice pie.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:12 pm
There are a lot of Italians in Southern Illinois, and in Carbondale, there is a pizza joint which offers thin crust or thick crust, crispy or soft, whole wheat or white. My fav was always crispy thin crust whole wheat, with green olives and italian sausage. "Boutique" pizza? Bah, humbug.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:14 pm
I just remembered the name of the joint (it's been more than 20 years since i lived there)--Paglia's ! ! ! It was prounounced "Pie-a-lie's" by all the locals.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:15 pm
boomerang wrote:
You get your four basic food groups in one nice pie.

Well, not necessarily. You get your salt, fat and starch--but where's the refined sugar, huh, huh?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:22 pm
Napoli's in the West Suburbs (Bloomingdale), closely followed by 10 other Chicago neighborhood Joints.

I miss this the most of anything, being stuck back in the sticks... Crying or Very sad

There is NO pizza in Kansas...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:23 pm
Boutique pizza is for people who like the idea of pizza, bit not a real pie... Cool
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:26 pm
The sugar is probably in the sauce but if you're worried about nutrition you can always order a sweet tea to drink or just dump packets of suger on your tongue.

Jeez Rockhead. If you're in Kansas just eat barbeque. Who even needs pizza? Just order some macaroni as a side dish and be sure they bring you plenty of white bread to sop up the bbq sauce. It's like getting your pizza all separated out.

Boys! Use your imaginations!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:34 pm
Setanta wrote:
I just remembered the name of the joint (it's been more than 20 years since i lived there)--Paglia's ! ! ! It was prounounced "Pie-a-lie's" by all the locals.

There's a Paglia's (pronounced Polly-eye's) in Iowa City. Verra good za.

There is a place called Cannova's in Galena, Illinois that makes the most delicious za with a light, crispy crust that melts in your mouth. You can get the pie any way you want. My preference is for olive oil rather than tomato sauce and mozzerella cheese. That's it.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:35 pm
I'll wait til I'm back in Chi-town, thanks. It's only 10 hours if you know the tricks... Laughing

You are correct, however, about the BarBQ. Very Happy
0 Replies