Evidence, shmevidence. We Just Hate Barry Bonds

snood

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 07:45 am
This is from a blog by Ivan Katz:

The late Justice Lewis Powell said it best: "This Court has declared that one accused of a crime is entitled to have his guilt or innocence determined solely on the basis of the evidence introduced at trial, and not on grounds of official suspicion, indictment, continued custody, or other circumstances not adduced as proof at trial." Taylor v. Kentucky, 436 U.S. 478, 485 (1978).

Although it was Justice Blackmun rather than Justice Powell who was known as the baseball fan on the U.S. Supreme Court, it is useful to remember Justice Powell's words when dealing with the case of United States of America v. Barry Lamar Bonds.

The United States of America has charged Barry Lamar Bonds with four counts of perjury [18 U.S.C. §1623(a)] and one count of obstruction of justice [18 U.S.C. §1503]. The operative word here is "charged."

Very few people will argue that Barry Bonds is a nice man, that he has a warm and bubbly personality, or that he serves as a model for anyone to emulate. The general impression seems to be that on a scale of one to ten (with Stalin or Hitler being a one and Mahatma Gandhi a ten), Bonds is a two. And that's from his friends.

The presumption of innocence does not, however, exist merely to benefit people we find decent, good and admirable. They are, in fact, the people who need it least. The presumption exists to protect anyone hauled before a court to answer charges; you, me, the alleged drug dealer or child molester, and the current holder of Major League Baseball's career home run record.

The charges detailed against Barry Lamar Bonds basically provide that he was granted immunity from prosecution on December 4, 2003 (before his testimony to a federal grand jury) and that pursuant to that immunity the right against self-incrimination was removed: So long as he testified truthfully his testimony could not be used against him.

The immunity did not, of course, cover grand jury testimony that was false or which amounted to perjury. Bond was asked about certain alleged acts and he denied them.

The government claims that these denials were examples of the "false exculpatory no" and that they were made with knowledge of their material falsity. In order to prove the perjury charges the United States must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Bonds' denials were false and were made with knowledge of their falsity.

It is an indictment that leaves little wiggle room: He cannot be convicted unless the government proves the "denied facts" were indeed true. Bonds and his supporters could not, following a conviction, say that conviction does not mean that he used steroids, human growth hormone or "the cream and the clear" since conviction would mean exactly that.

I have no idea when the presumption of innocence became a dead letter as far as the American media are concerned. The government has charged Barry Bonds with a crime and the charge is viewed as tantamount to a conviction. No one has bothered to note that the evidence in support of the government's charges has not been revealed, let alone tested by cross-examination. Bonds is not viewed - as he is entitled to be viewed - as an innocent man.

And should it be proven by competent evidence adduced at trial that he is in fact innocent of these charges, this fact will not mean one blessed thing to those who have concluded that he is guilty as sin and that nothing as trivial as a verdict rendered by a jury after trial is going to convince them otherwise.

This is not justice. This is Stalinism. The State says you did it, therefore you did it. And you will be punished accordingly. You say you are innocent? They all say that. If you didn't do it the State would not have said you did. That the argument is idiotic on its face does not stop a solid majority of the American people from believing it.

According to this so-called "Court of Public Opinion", "the people", without having had the benefit of hearing any evidence whatsoever, have concluded that "he did it" and that if a jury duly sworn should conclude, after hearing the evidence, that "he didn't do it" the reason for it is "smart, well paid lawyers."

One of the reasons why Authority so often goes after lawyers hammer and tong is because we do have an annoying habit of demanding that the evidence be examined and the law applied. You don't need to go very far back in history to find examples of the government prosecuting innocent men whether for decent or scurrilous motives.

When you try, convict and sentence a man in the absence of any evidence at all (and the government's assertion by indictment that "you did it" is no evidence at all) you are relying on the wrong Lewis. Lewis Powell got it right, Lewis Carroll did not.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 894 • Replies: 14
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:38 am
Re: Evidence, shmevidence. We Just Hate Barry Bonds
Ivan Katz wrote:
Although it was Justice Blackmun rather than Justice Powell who was known as the baseball fan on the U.S. Supreme Court...

Quite true. In Flood v. Kuhn, Blackmun wrote the majority opinion in the case that ruled on the legality of baseball's reserve clause. The story goes that Blackmun, in providing a brief overview of the history of baseball, included the names of a few legends of the game. As his draft opinion circulated among the justices, each one added his own favorite ballplayers to the list, until it included:
    Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Tris Speaker, Walter Johnson, Henry Chadwick, Eddie Collins, Lou Gehrig, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Rogers Hornsby, Harry Hooper, Goose Goslin, Jackie Robinson, Honus Wagner, Joe McCarthy, John McGraw, Deacon Phillippe, Rube Marquard, Christy Mathewson, Tommy Leach, Big Ed Delahanty, Davy Jones, Germany Schaefer, King Kelly, Big Dan Brouthers, Wahoo Sam Crawford, Wee Willie Keeler, Big Ed Walsh, Jimmy Austin, Fred Snodgrass, Satchel Paige, Hugh Jennings, Fred Merkle, Iron Man McGinnity, Three-Finger Brown, Harry and Stan Coveleski, Connie Mack, Al Bridwell, Red Ruffing, Amos Rusie, Cy Young, Smokey Joe Wood, Chief Meyers, Chief Bender, Bill Klem, Hans Lobert, Johnny Evers, Joe Tinker, Roy Campanella, Miller Huggins, Rube Bressler, Dazzy Vance, Edd Roush, Bill Wambsganss, Clark Griffith, Branch Rickey, Frank Chance, Cap Anson, Nap Lajoie, Sad Sam Jones, Bob O'Farrell, Lefty O'Doul, Bobby Veach, Willie Kamm, Heinie Groh, Lloyd and Paul Waner, Stuffy McInnis, Charles Comiskey, Roger Bresnahan, Bill Dickey, Zack Wheat, George Sisler, Charlie Gehringer, Eppa Rixey, Harry Heilmann, Fred Clarke, Dizzy Dean, Hank Greenberg, Pie Traynor, Rube Waddell, Bill Terry, Carl Hubbell, Old Hoss Radbourne, Moe Berg, Rabbit Maranville, Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove.
Former Colorado and NFL running back Justice Byron "Whizzer" White, possibly annoyed that so much space was devoted to baseball rather than football, ended up joining Blackmun's opinion except for the part that included all the baseball players.

Ivan Katz wrote:
According to this so-called "Court of Public Opinion", "the people", without having had the benefit of hearing any evidence whatsoever, have concluded that "he did it" and that if a jury duly sworn should conclude, after hearing the evidence, that "he didn't do it" the reason for it is "smart, well paid lawyers."

This is reminiscent of Captain Renault's surprised observation that there was gambling going on in Rick's Cafe Americain. Of course public opinion has already convicted Barry Bonds, just as public opinion has already convicted Drew Peterson and the parents of JonBenet Ramsey and practically anybody else who has even been suspected of a crime. The public can rush to these judgments because it doesn't have to be bothered with annoying things like facts or evidence or the rules of law. It was ever thus.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:07 pm
Re: Evidence, shmevidence. We Just Hate Barry Bonds
joefromchicago wrote:
The public can rush to these judgments because it doesn't have to be bothered with annoying things like facts or evidence or the rules of law. It was ever thus.

Hear, hear . . . plus ça change . . .
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 03:55 pm
I've heard some incarnation of that same sentiment over and over, all my life, and it will not stand credibly alone as an argument for anything... "It's always been done that way."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 04:11 pm
You're just babbling now. Neither Joe nor i have said that Bonds deserves to be condemned in a Federal court because he was condemned in the court of public opinion. What appalls me is that you're willing to trot out an inferential claim that Bonds is being condemned because of his race--which is, essentially, all you're doing here. If, as you suggest with the thread title, and your quoted blog author suggests, the government has no evidence against Bonds, then he'll go free due to the lack of that evidence. Believe it or not, as you choose--the historical evidence is that the Federal courts do not convene kangaroo courts.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 04:17 pm
I was responding to "It was ever thus". I was trying to make the point that just because the "court of public opinion" hangs people before the fact, doesn't make it right.

I don't think you or Joe have suggested anything untoward, nor did I think I was hinting that you did.

But I do think Bond's race may explain some of the fervent pursuit of him, and so may his crappy personality.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 04:42 pm
snood wrote:
I was responding to "It was ever thus". I was trying to make the point that just because the "court of public opinion" hangs people before the fact, doesn't make it right.

No one said that it did.

snood wrote:
But I do think Bond's race may explain some of the fervent pursuit of him, and so may his crappy personality.

During his quest to break the all-time home run record, I found it rather amusing when some people opined that people disliked Bonds because he was black -- ignoring the fact that Bonds was trying to break the record set by another black man. It will be a significant mark of forward progress for blacks when the jerks among them are judged by the lack of content of their character and not by the color of their thin skins.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 05:11 pm
Do you see any disparity in the pursuit of Bonds vs. the pursuit of... anyone else alleged to have "juiced"?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 05:13 pm
...and,

When an inequity is cited, and someone says "it's always been that way", it just seems like a waste of breath. So what if it's always been done that way? What's the point of pointing that out?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 06:14 pm
snood, I gotta say that I'm a little surprised that you didn't deny Set's assumption that you see this as a race issue. Not only didn't you deny it, you seem to have confirmed it.

I've never heard of Ivan Katz -- he could be black, green, or purple for all I know. I don't see any inference in his piece to race, I didn't read any such inference into it, and I kind of scratched my head when Set thought you were talking about race. I fully expected your next post would be one of challenging his assumptions.

I think Joe's reference to Drew Peterson (and Scott Peterson before his trial) are excellent examples of the court of public opinion going off half-cocked. Look at all the media attention and public opinion energies wasted on Brittney Spears. People love to bash celebrity and they love to convict people on what they've heard in the media. That's what has always been the same. What does it have to do with race?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 06:18 pm
How do you come up with an allegation of inequality? Were not Scott Peterson and the family of the poor, pathetic little Ramsey girl all also convicted in the court of public opinion, and were they not white? What inequality to you allege impinges in the case of Barry Bonds?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 06:59 pm
snood wrote:
Do you see any disparity in the pursuit of Bonds vs. the pursuit of... anyone else alleged to have "juiced"?

Bonds has only been pursued according to the magnitude of his celebrity and the degree to which he appears to have been involved in the BALCO case. Jason Giambi and Mark McGwire were also suspected of using banned substances, but in Giambi's case he was already on the downside of his career and was spending a lot more time on the disabled list than on the playing field, and in McGwire's case he had already retired by the time he apparently lied to a congressional committee about his drug use.

A useful comparison to the amount of attention paid to Bonds is the lack of attention paid to Neifi Perez, who was recently suspended for 80 games after testing positive for banned substances. Perez, who just happens to be black, garnered little public notice, despite the fact that he was actually found to have used the substances (unlike Bonds, who remains only under suspicion). But then I suppose being a career .267 hitter without much power grants you a certain measure of anonymity.

snood wrote:
...and,

When an inequity is cited, and someone says "it's always been that way", it just seems like a waste of breath. So what if it's always been done that way? What's the point of pointing that out?

It's a perfectly reasonable response to the trite observation that people shouldn't go around making snap judgments without access to all of the facts. If my remark was pointless, then Katz's was equally so.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 06:25 am
I see both of y'alls points. It could be true that the seekers of justice may be blind to all else but the facts in their pursuit of Bonds. It may be true that it has more to do with his fame than anything else.

Dunno. Hard to say.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 06:27 am
JPB wrote:
snood, I gotta say that I'm a little surprised that you didn't deny Set's assumption that you see this as a race issue. Not only didn't you deny it, you seem to have confirmed it.

I've never heard of Ivan Katz -- he could be black, green, or purple for all I know. I don't see any inference in his piece to race, I didn't read any such inference into it, and I kind of scratched my head when Set thought you were talking about race. I fully expected your next post would be one of challenging his assumptions.

Just choosing my battles, my man.

I think Joe's reference to Drew Peterson (and Scott Peterson before his trial) are excellent examples of the court of public opinion going off half-cocked. Look at all the media attention and public opinion energies wasted on Brittney Spears. People love to bash celebrity and they love to convict people on what they've heard in the media. That's what has always been the same. What does it have to do with race?

It's true, Katz's article doesn't touch on race. It has entirely to do with the crazy "court of public opinion". I didn't bring up race, and probably shouldn't have bit at the bait, since it diluted my original point for posting this.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 06:31 am
When I read the launch post again, then read this:

Quote:
What appalls me is that you're willing to trot out an inferential claim that Bonds is being condemned because of his race--which is, essentially, all you're doing here.

I gotta wonder why Set said that to begin with...

...but I did bite, and was wrong to do so.
0 Replies