msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 03:23 am
@dlowan,
Shocked

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/11/12/books/shul-span.jpg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 03:24 am
I caught the last 10 mins of Q&A on ABC kast night. Lindsay (the lip) Tanner Vs Joe (baby face) Hockey. Talking about the mining tax.
Lindsay had the best of Joe I thought.
msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 03:28 am
@dadpad,
I thought so, too, dp!

The Liberals' championship of the Mining companies will vanish very soon, I think. The more the facts of the situation emerge, the sillier (& more elitist & out of touch) they'll look.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 03:57 am
Anyone watching the population/immigration growth debate on Jenny Brockie's program on SBS right now?

Fascinating discussion!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 05:33 pm
Utterly underwhelmed by Abbott's (earlier on) response to Labor's budget & then his presentation of the Lib's own vague budgetary proposals. Now even more underwhelmed (which I didn't think was possible!) by Joe Hockey's "detailed" follow up. Neutral
Were any of you remotely whelmed by either performance?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:12 pm
Interesting (very interesting) commentary from Bruce Haigh on Kevin Rudd's elections prospects, plus a bit of speculation on his possible successor.
If reading all this doesn't appeal to you, at least check out the Monty Python sketch at the very end of the article. That'll cheer you up! Very Happy :

The Prime Minister has snuffed it
Bruce Haigh/The Drum/ABC comment
21/o5/10

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/images/KRudd_AAP_340.jpg
File photo: Kevin Rudd (AAP: Alan Porritt)

John Cleese knew the parrot was dead.

People are angry with Rudd. He has jilted his traditional support base. Some are clinging to the hope that he will see the error of his ways and change.

Most have given up on him; however that does not mean that they will not vote Labor at the forthcoming election.

Respect and Rudd are not words that they would put together. Rudd's lack of belief in anything except his personal ambition has registered. He has blown the well of public goodwill and support, it is draining away, he will not be able to cap it. He is a ventriloquist's dummy walking. His words mean nothing to most people, they switch him off, do the washing up, get a cup of tea when they see him on TV or hear him on the radio.

Forget opinion polls with crafted questions. I am originally from Western Australian and recently spent a week there. From all walks of life I did not hear one good word said about Rudd. The tide has turned, the vain glorious emperor has no clothes. It is too late for Rudd, the country has already made its judgement about him.

And Abbott? His ability and skill in taking the issues up to Rudd are appreciated. He is seen as performing the proper role of a leader of the Opposition. He is seen as genuine. The label Phoney Tony is bouncing back on the Government, it is harming already damaged goods in the form of Gillard and Tanner, who is currently being stalked by the Greens, and Garrett, who is past his political use-by date.

But as bothersome as Abbott has been able to make himself, he is not seen as prime ministerial material reinforced by his asides to the right of his party, asides which too often grate with swinging voters, the people he most needs to woo. And his A-Team, particularly Joe Hockey, leaves something to be desired.

Eat your heart out Wilson Tuckey, Kevin Andrews, Bronwyn Bishop, et al, you and your choice of leader will be the architects of the Coalition defeat.
This was the election that could have been won. All the Coalition had to do was move toward the centre and capture a little of Rudd's base. Pig-headed stupidity will cost the election.

Despite the dog whistling being engaged in by Julia Gillard, sections of the media and her supporters, she is not as popular or widely supported as she might like us to believe. She is tainted by having to defend the failed Rudd agenda; she is also perceived as not being a conviction politician, a flag waving pragmatist blowing in the breeze, a graduate of the 'Whatever it Takes', school of political science.

Of all those with leadership aspirations in the Labor Party, Greg Combet has so far played the best hand. He has the ability and the belief in issues to make a very good leader of the party. The grounding of the army's new helicopters might prove his first real test. The ethos inspired by Howard and embraced by Rudd is to govern with Spin and Secrecy(S&S).

When Rudd was riding high in the polls S&S was the guiding and basic tenet of government. Always attracted to secrecy, the Department of Defence, embraced S&S; it does not sit comfortably with either Faulkner or Combet.

If Combet wishes to garner the support of the Australian people he will need to distance himself from S&S and from Rudd. As will the used, abused and talented Penny Wong.

At a cost to good governance, Rudd promoted and held in place some very ordinary talent in the form of Fitzgibbon, who subsequently fell on his sword, Evans in Immigration and McClelland as Attorney-General. Bereft of ideas and commonsense Rudd has kept at bay anyone he felt might hold a mirror to his mediocrity. Spare a thought for the talented Maxine McKew, Gary Grey and Bill Shorten; it is a reflection on Rudd's lack of leadership to have kept such talent on the bench.

In my opinion Rudd will flop over the line, but in the process beach himself. Next year is likely to be Rudd's annus horribilis. The world economy is likely to be brought under further strain by the crumbling of the European Currency, the bursting of the Chinese housing bubble, pushed by reduced exports. Reduced commodity exports from Australia as a result of falling international economic activity, coupled with a deteriorating strategic outlook in Afghanistan, will see Rudd beached, gasping and looking to flop into the New York fish bowl as Australian Ambassador to the UN.

Rudd is not going to hand Combet the baton; we have already seen that with his shabby handling of him over the insulation scandal. Combet, charged with attempting to save Rudd's neck, was not given a seat in Cabinet. If Combet wants the top job he will have to fight for it.

Would an incumbent Combet, with his practical industry background, reduce the size of the resource based tax? A tax on resources is a good thing and overdue but why 40 per cent? Why not a 15 per cent tax with the prospect of a further rise of 5 per cent in five years time depending on the health of the sector? A 40 per cent initial tax smacks of panic. The same sort of panic which saw Rudd throw billions into the economy before waiting to see the likely effect of the GFC on Australia. The 40 per cent tax is election driven. Rudd is not fiscally cautious he is politically timid.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2905143.htm
msolga

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:33 pm
@msolga,
I hadn't even considered Greg Combet as Labor's next leader. (I'd just assumed, like everyone else, that it would automatically be Julia Gillard.) But now that Bruce Haigh mentions it, Combet makes pretty good sense. I agree wholeheartedly that pushing Rudd's agenda has damaged Julia Gillard's political credibility. She's made quite a few enemies (particularly in the trade union movement & also on the left of the ALP) as a result.
Actually I agree with just about everything Haigh has said in this article. He makes sense!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:40 am
Video: Last Thursday night's Clarke & Dawe.
Not about Oz this time: Europe's financial woes:

Quote:

Clarke and Dawe ask the million dollar questions
Source: 7.30 Report
Published: Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:56 AEST
Expires: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:56 AEST

John Clarke and Bryan Dawe calculate the cost of the European debt crisis.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/05/20/2905304.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 08:16 pm
Yet another grim poll result for Labor. Things are not looking at all good for Rudd at the moment.:

Quote:

It's me or him, Rudd tells voters
Updated 1 hour 34 minutes ago/ABC NEWS online

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201003/r533598_3053812.jpg
Choices: Tony Abbott and Kevin Rudd (AAP: Mark Graham)

Kevin Rudd concedes he has a lot of work ahead of him to win the next election after another grim poll result for the Federal Government.

A Nielsen poll in this morning's Fairfax newspapers shows the Coalition gaining three percentage points in just a month to lead Labor by 53 per cent to 47 per cent on a two-party preferred basis.

Speaking on AM this morning, the Prime Minister acknowledged that the poll showed Labor would lose a federal election if it was held today.

But he sought to remind voters that that would mean Opposition Leader Tony Abbott would be in The Lodge.

"The truth is, if these polls were reflected on election day Mr Abbott would become the prime minister," Mr Rudd told AM.

"So the challenge for me and for the Government is to work harder into the future.

"I've got a huge amount of work to do to explain my plans as opposed to Mr Abbott's plans.

"Our plan's clear on the economy, on health, on hospitals. Mr Abbott's is reasonably clear now on bringing back WorkChoices and cuts to education and cuts to health.

"An election is all about alternatives, but I have a huge amount of work do do and I intend to get on with the job."

Today's Nielsen poll shows the Coalition ahead 43 per cent to 33 per cent in the primary vote.

Frustration with the major parties has proven a boon for the Greens, who polled a Nielsen record of 15 per cent of the primary vote.

Mr Rudd's approval rating has fallen again to 41 per cent, the same rating as Tony Abbott, but both men have disapproval figures above 50 per cent.

The gap between the Prime Minister's approval and disapproval rating has widened in the last month, with 52 per cent of those polled disapproving of his performance.

But Mr Rudd still has a 10-point lead over Mr Abbott as preferred prime minister.

This week Mr Rudd will have a week of negotiations with the mining industry in Perth over the proposed resources super profits tax.

"I think the bottom line is that this proposal for mining industry super profits tax is good for the economy, I believe it's an important reform for the economy," Mr Rudd said.

"The reason for this big reform is to keep our economy strong for the future.

"What I've said repeatedly is we believe we've got the overall design of this tax right.

"These economic reforms are deeply important to the national interest [and] it's important we get these negotiations right."

A Newspoll commissioned by the miners in The Australian newspaper showed that a majority of people surveyed said the Government should change its plan.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/07/2919672.htm

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 09:22 pm
@msolga,
Commentary from Michelle Grattan, the AGE's political editor.
If the polls are anything to go by, then this is shaping up to be an extremely interesting, election! :

Quote:

The result is clear: voters are fed up
Michelle Grattan, Age political editor.
June 7, 2010/the AGE

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/06/07/1570807/ruddmain-420x0.jpg

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd is in trouble following the latest opinion polls. Photo: Stefan Postles

This poll takes Labor into panic territory. It is a disaster for Kevin Rudd, especially as bad polls have their own momentum. But there are a couple of very important qualifications.

Tony Abbott isn't pulling across to the Coalition as many of the disillusioned voters as he should.

Pollster John Stirton, who says the result still looks like a protest, observes Labor is down 10 points on 2007, but the Coalition is getting only 10 per cent of that, with 90 per cent going to the Greens and independents. The opposition's biggest problem is that Abbott is just as unpopular, if not more so, than Rudd, Stirton says.

Bombarded by two apparently unconvincing leaders, people are fed up. The big parties' combined vote (76 per cent) is the lowest since May 2001. Unless Abbott can persuade people to feel more confident about him, much of this floating vote is likely to return directly or indirectly to Labor.

But the headline results will themselves be corrosive for Rudd, sending tremors through MPs holding marginal seats and starting further leadership talk in the media.

Protest votes are dangerous for a government on a relatively narrow margin, and there has been a significant fall in those expecting a Labor win.

The mining tax is bleeding Labor nationally
, not just in affected areas. One would have thought the government could have convinced people of its rationale. But the PM doesn't seem able to sell anything any more.

The results emphasise the government's need to sort out its final position soon, but Rudd has been in no hurry. He's caught - the pressure for a compromise is enormous, but the political cost of one is rising because it will be another ''backflip''. With things so much on the slide, the risk for Rudd is that the government's tight discipline could start to fray.

At the weekend, Environment Minister Peter Garrett admitted he'd first learnt of the emissions trading backdown from a newspaper, and the detail of the kitchen cabinet's consideration of the ETS retreat was reported, including the positions of individual ministers.

Knocking Rudd has taken on such a momentum that it is hard to know where he starts to turn around the negative perceptions. On the other hand, Abbott, making a strong assault on Everest, is facing a big struggle to get up the final stage.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/the-result-is-clear-voters-are-fed-up-20100606-xn9v.html
msolga

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 10:00 pm
@msolga,
I'm finding it very difficult to believe that the so-called "mining tax" is causing widespread community concern. But, maybe it is? Confused :

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/06/03/1546870/moir_4June1-600x400.jpg
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 01:22 am
@msolga,
Looks like it's been spun to do so.

Seems perfectly ******* reasonable to me.

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:07 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Looks like it's been spun to do so.

It certainly does!!!!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:17 am
And to make matters even worse for Kevin, Obama has cancelled his Oz visit for a second time!
All those lost photo opportunities! Wink

It was really funny listening to PM on the ABC tonight. Both Rudd & Abbott were both playing the under-dog card for all they were worth.

I have to admit, though, Rudd declaring that, on the basis of today's poll, if an election was held this weekend, it'd be Prime Minister Abbott! Pretty damn scary. Neutral

Me, I wish they'd both just go away! I wish our little experiment with religious leaders was over & done with & things could return to normal.
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 06:33 am
@msolga,
'k'noath.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 07:08 am
http://images.theage.com.au/2010/06/08/1575496/tandberg-620x0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:12 am
The ABC's economics editor attempts to demystify the "mining tax" kafoofle.:

Quote:
Truth, lies and minerals tax: the RSPT debate deciphered
By Stephen Long
Updated Thu Jun 3, 2010 4:14pm AEST

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200812/r324632_1452647.jpg
It boils down to a question of whose case you prefer: that of the Treasury boss Ken Henry or that of the mining magnates and their lobby group. (AAP Image: Macarthur Coal)

Amid the spin, misinformation and hyperbole about the resources super profits tax (RSPT), one thing is not seriously in dispute: the profits that mining companies make from extracting Australia's natural resources have soared, and the return going to the public hasn't kept pace.

Once you accept that - as even the mining lobby does - it's hard to claim there isn't a case in public policy for increasing the price or charge that mining companies pay for the right to exploit a public endowment.

The minerals belong to the Australian people, born and unborn, and the people are entitled to a decent return.

The debate then becomes a question of design. What's the best way for government to impose a price on the use of the resources?

What's the most efficient and least economically harmful regime of charges or prices?

Here's where it gets tricky - and where there's a debate laced with vitriol about the merits and demerits of the resources super profits tax.

It boils down to a question of whose case you prefer: that of the Treasury boss Ken Henry or that of the mining magnates and their lobby group.

To understand the competing claims, you need to understand the resources super profits tax and how it works. Apologies in advance: it's a little complex, but stay with me.

The first thing to grasp is that, when it comes to new projects, the resources super profits tax is not in any meaningful sense a tax at all.

It's more akin to a joint venture partnership between the Commonwealth and private capital.

In effect, if the policy goes ahead as planned, the Government will take a 40 per cent stake in all future investments, receive 40 per cent of the profits, and bare 40 per cent of the risk.

Technically, it works like this.

* The Government will provide companies with a tax credit for 40 per cent of the project costs or project losses. That, in theory, gives the company a "risk free" investment and, in effect, gives the Government a de facto 40 per cent interest in every resources venture.
* The Government won't fund its contribution to the joint venture upfront. Instead, the project developers will, in effect, "lend" the Government its share of the investment - with a guarantee the Government will pay its share out of the profits or, if the project isn't successful, through a cash payment when the project is wound up.
* As a 40 per cent stakeholder, the Government will take 40 per cent of future profits - minus state mining royalties which it will reimburse and reduced by a notional interest charge paid to the company for financing its stake. Because that's a "riskless loan" (in practice there's no likelihood Australia will default or not pay its way) it argues that it should be paid at the long-term government bond rate, a proxy for the return on risk-free money.
* In turn, the Government reckons that resources companies should be able to secure project finance at the long-term government bond rate - because the Government is guaranteeing 40 per cent of the capital costs.
* The super profits tax - which is in effect the Government's profit share - kicks in only when the profits from the venture exceed the long-term bond rate.

Are you still with me?

You can see why the Government's had a hard task explaining the detail and the debate's deteriorated into spin and sledging.

Why go down this route?

In theory, the resources super profits tax is a better tax than the state mining royalties it will in effect replace.

They are a flat tax applied to the volume of resources extracted, regardless of the profit a company makes, while the RSPT only hits profitable ventures.

In theory, because the Government is taking on 40 per cent of the risk it should make new projects more viable and encourage investment.

In theory, it should lower the cost of capital for resources companies because they'd be funding the Government's 40 per cent share through debt (at a low rate) and debt is cheaper than equity (raising money by issuing shares).

The question is: does the theory hold in practice?

The mining companies argue no.

The big flaw in the theory, according to the Minerals Council and a report they commissioned from KPMG, is the assumption that companies can secure finance at the long-term bond rate.

They reckon this won't be possible - because contrary to the Government's assertion, its 40 per cent stake (via the tax credit) isn't "risk free".

The Minerals Council argues it is subject to "sovereign risk" though what it really means is policy risk - the risk that a future government could change the goal posts by changing the policy.

They also reckon that a government bond is a superior investment because it provides a more predictable return, it's well understood by financiers, and it has an established primary and secondary market.

In contrast, says the Minerals Council, there's no established market for the kind of finance the government scheme entails and no appetite in the markets for financing investment at the government bond rate (though KPMG concedes it might develop over time).

So why not just up the rate at which the tax kicks in - say to 2 or 3 per cent above the Government bond rate - to take into account those objections?

Enter Ken Henry. The Treasury boss is adamant that this should not and must not be done.

He reckons that it would create a massive economic distortion - and provide a huge opportunity for mining companies and "financial engineers" to make big money at taxpayers' expense.

How so? Well, say a Macquarie Bank or a Goldman Sachs decides that the Government's 40 per cent tax credit really is "risk free money". So they invest in mining projects, get paid interest at 7,8, 9 per cent for financing the Government's investment, and pocket the difference between that and the long-term bond rate (which is a tad under 6 per cent).

It would be money for nothing - what the investment bankers call an "arbitrage".

The same opportunities would be open to a Twiggy Forrest, a Clive Palmer, or the big multinationals such as BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto.

So are there other ways you could implement the resources super profits tax?

The answer is yes.

One option is that the Government could provide a bond to the resources companies to cover the cost of financing the tax credit, paying interest at the long-term government bond rate, rather than asking them to find the money from the capital markets.

The other is to drop the 40 per cent tax offset and change the RSPT into something more akin to the existing offshore petroleum rents tax. It kicks in at a profit rate of about 11 per cent, but with no tax offset.

But the campaign from the mining lobby wouldn't stop even if the Government altered the rate at which the tax kicks in.

The Minerals Council and the big mining companies don't want it to apply to existing projects.

They argue that this amounts to a "retrospective tax". That phrase amounts to a perversion of language.

It's like saying that Frank Lowy is applying a "retrospective" tax when Westfield puts up the rent for tenants of its shopping centres.

The RSPT is not a retrospective tax - it will only apply to future profits, and two years hence.

What the resources lobby means is that companies weren't necessarily anticipating the tax change when they invested in Australia.

They probably weren't anticipating the biggest mining boom in history either, fuelled by extraordinary demand from China.

Stephen Long is the ABC's Economics Correspondent.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/03/2917521.htm
msolga

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 06:16 pm
@msolga,
Video & article from today's AGE.
Did I hear communism? Surprised
Ah, ya gotta have a bit of a laugh.
Looks more like a WA Liberal election rally to me! Wink :

Quote:
Billionaires' club hits the street for tax protest

IT WAS a rally like no other. On the back of a flatbed truck, the country's richest woman bellowed into a megaphone, imploring one of the best-dressed assemblies of protesters to gather in Perth to vent their anger on Kevin Rudd. ....<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/national/billionaires-club-hits-the-street-for-tax-protest-20100609-xwu6.html?autostart=1