Oz election thread #3 - Rudd's Labour

Wilso

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:44 am
Some excerpts
Quote:
"And that is the great difference between our side of politics and leadership.

"Because we believe that government’s role is to enable each and every Australian to do their best.

"Labor believes government knows best. We are not so vain as Mr Rudd."

Quote:
“I know what it’s like to be very short of money,” the 53-year-old said.

“I know what it’s like to live in rented flats. I know what it’s like to grow up with a single parent, with no support other than a devoted and loyal father.

“I know Australians are doing it tough.”
Wilso

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:46 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I'd also be interested in your assessment of Labor's position on industrial relations" "Forward With Fairness".

I don't know much about it. Between family, work and uni, I'm so busy that the only thing I know about current events is what I happen to pick up on the ABC news when I'm in the car.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:51 am
@msolga,
Here you go, Wilso. Click the link. (As much as I know ..)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:52 am
@msolga,
Also this one.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:55 am
@Wilso,
Actually this sounds like typical wishy-washy polly stuff, Wilso. What a let down! I was expecting something really outrageous !Wink Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 04:04 am
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/09/21/wilcox2209_gallery__600x356.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 04:22 am

Poll results buoy Turnbull
Posted Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:38am AEST
Updated Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:17am AEST

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200809/r292961_1255334.jpg
Mr Turnbull's popularity rating is 14 points higher than his predecessor's, according to Nielsen. (AAP: Alan Porritt, file photo)

Malcolm Turnbull's elevation to federal Opposition Leader has given the Coalition a significant boost in the latest opinion polls.

The Nielsen poll in Fairfax newspapers shows Mr Turnbull's first approval rating is 14 points higher than Dr Nelson's last rating.

And on the question of who would make the best prime minister, Newspoll puts Mr Turnbull at 24 per cent to Kevin Rudd's 54 per cent - 16 points closer than Dr Nelson's result of a fortnight ago.

The Coalition is ahead of Labor on primary votes, according to Nielsen, but trails 52 to 48 on a two-party preferred basis.

Newspoll, meanwhile, has the Coalition's primary vote up 1 point to 38 per cent to Labor's 42 per cent - its best performance since the election - but is trailing 45-55 on two-party preferred support.

The Newspoll has voter satisfaction with Mr Rudd dropping to its lowest level since the election - down from 54 to 50 per cent - while the dissatisfaction rating has jumped 5 points to 37 per cent. ...<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/22/2370253.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 04:30 am
Ooops! Embarrassed :
Radio host stumps Bishop on rates
Posted 20 minutes ago
Updated 6 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200809/r290031_1239563.jpg Shadow Treasurer Julie Bishop could not recall the Reserve Bank's official cash rate during a radio interview. (ABC)

The new Opposition treasury spokeswoman, Julie Bishop, has been unable to name the official cash interest rate in Australia on her first day in the job.

The Reserve Bank dropped the rate from 7.25 per cent to 7 per cent earlier this month.

On ABC Radio in Perth, Ms Bishop could not tell presenter Russell Woolf the current rate when asked the price of a litre of milk, a litre of petrol and the interest rate in quick succession.

"The cash interest rate at present is... seven... I'm just trying to think," she said.

"Was it 7.25 [per cent]? I'll have to go and check that one."

When Ms Bishop was told the correct answer by Woolf, she replied: "That's right, that's right you're quite right."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/22/2371279.htm

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 06:40 am
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6263641,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:01 am
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/09/24/reg2409_gallery__600x360.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 09:09 pm
From (yesterday's) Crikey!:

Quote:
Dear Squatters,

For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share ...

There are many Australians who were shamed by the Howard Government's treatment of refugees, asylum seekers and illegal immigrants. It was not so much that people desperate enough to travel half the world at great personal peril and in hardship were welcomed with mandatory detention, or that their prisons were located in some of the most god-foresaken corners of the continent ... what galled many above all that was the way in which the policy was implemented cynically for political advantage.

There's a double edge to that of course: for a government to turn the detention of men, women and children to a vote winner it must first tap something latent and obnoxious in the public subconscious. Let's hope that something is changing there in the Australian soul.

But perhaps not. Today we learn that the Australian Government, never mind that its popularly elected face has changed, is seeking to recover money from former detainees. More than $7 million is outstanding. What is this money for? It is the bill for their mandatory detention. It's enough to make you stitch your lips.
hingehead

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:27 pm
@msolga,
eeeyew.

So are we gonna get out of the estates of the ones who sent back to political persecution, fatally?

Can the children warped by years in those camps sue us?
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:58 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

eeeyew.

So are we gonna get out of the estates of the ones who sent back to political persecution, fatally?

Can the children warped by years in those camps sue us?

You know...that is interesting.

Given that we were condemned by the UN for violations of human rights, and violated treaties we had endorsed...could we be tried internationally?
msolga

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 06:03 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Given that we were condemned by the UN for violations of human rights, and violated treaties we had endorsed...could we be tried internationally?

We should be!

Just appalling ..... Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 06:14 pm
Anyone been keeping up with the latest "disclosures" regarding Amanda you-know-who allowing the mafia fellow to stay in Oz for compassionate reasons in 2005? She's quoted (today) as saying that deportation from Oz would have been in breach of UN obligations! It had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with donations to the Libs by his supporters, apparently ....
msolga

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 06:34 pm
Interesting ....:

Vanstone defends visa decision
Richard Baker and Nick McKenzie
September 26, 2008 /the AGE

FORMER immigration minister Amanda Vanstone says she overturned a deportation order against a suspected Mafia figure because of mental health concerns " not due to donations to the Liberal Party by his supporters or lobbying by Liberal parliamentarians.

Ms Vanstone, now Australia's ambassador to Italy, has been under pressure following revelations about her 2005 decision to allow alleged crime figure Francesco Madafferi to remain in Australia after his supporters contributed tens of thousands of dollars to the Liberal Party and successfully persuaded four Liberal MPs to contact her about his case.

The Age can also reveal that a Melbourne drug rehabilitation facility, which in 2005 enlisted the later murdered gangland figure Mario Condello as a volunteer counsellor, also lobbied the Howard government not to deport Mr Madafferi. ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/national/vanstone-defends-visa-decision-20080925-4o48.html?page=-1
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:49 pm
@msolga,
Cool! No, I hadn't heard, but I will have a look.

Mind you, for all that I think Amanda has abhorrent views, I think she is honestly abhorrent.
hingehead

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:53 pm
@Borat Sister,
Quote:
Mind you, for all that I think Amanda has abhorrent views, I think she is honestly abhorrent.

Seconded.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:45 am
@Borat Sister,
Quote:

Explain that to me a bit, Borat Sister.
I'm having trouble getting my head around your words. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 01:22 am
From today's Crikey!:

Quote:
Dear Squatters,

Australia’s mainstream political class has handled the issue of climate change disastrously.

The Howard years were an extended period of denial, even as the evidence mounted, the public called for action and the scientific consensus developed to the point where only corrupted researchers, climate flatearthers and right-wing bloggers seriously argued against it. Throughout it, a timid Opposition made much of its commitment to Kyoto, but spoke little about taking seriously the challenge of an overheating planet. Only the Greens consistently argued for action.

The consequences of this failure are evident in the profoundly pessimistic nature of the Garnaut Review, which essentially gives away icons like the Great Barrier Reef because it’s too late to prevent significant warming and too hard to forge an effective international agreement.

In spite of this, our two major political parties continue to argue the toss over whether to start in 2010 or 2011, who to exempt and how much compensation should be doled out to our biggest polluters -- including motorists.

Based on the small-minded response of Labor and the Coalition to date, Garnaut’s pessimism looks well-founded.

0 Replies