Church of England launches attack on US

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 02:41 pm
The Archbishop of Canterbury has criticised the United States in a Muslim magazine, saying the country wields its power to "accumulate influence and control".

Rowan Williams says the American-led invasion of Iraq amounts to "clearing the decks" with a "quick burst of violent action", and has led to "the worst of all worlds".

The Anglican leader suggests that leadership in the US has broken down and that its actions are misguided. He contrasts it unfavourably with the way the British empire had governed India.

"It is one thing to take over a territory and then pour energy and resources into administering it and normalising it. Rightly or wrongly, that's what the British empire did - in India for example.

"It is another to go in on the assumption that a quick burst of violent action will clear the decks and that you can move on and other people will put it back together - Iraq for example."

Quote:
As religious head of the Church of England and symbolic head of the worldwide Anglican Communion comprising almost 80 million worshippers, the Archbishop of Canterbury's position is the most political of religious roles. Dr Rowan Williams, described as Anglicanism's cleverest, most gifted and pre-eminent theologian, meets with Sarah Joseph in his study at Lambeth Palace.

Complete interview @ timesonline
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,498 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 07:45 pm
He's entitled to his opinion. The quote, "the worst of all worlds" reminds me of the opening sentence of A Tale of Two Cities, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Charles Dickens would not have recognized his London today. So much diversity, compared to the Victorian era, I'd guess.

Anyway, at least the British have their history.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 07:55 pm
It reminds me of philosopher Pangloss in Voltaires "Candide". The guy that say everything is for the best of all possible worlds

I think the influence of this church is stronger then the US would think. I think they could influence a large group powerful people.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 08:12 pm
Amigo wrote:
It reminds me of philosopher Pangloss in Voltaires "Candide". The guy that say everything is for the best of all possible worlds

I think the influence of this church is stronger then the US would think. I think they could influence a large group powerful people.

Yes, the dreaded "double P," powerful and pompous.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 08:43 pm
I cringe at the very thought of being under attack by The Church of England.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 08:54 pm
Devious bastards that they are, they use the name "l'Église Anglicane du Canada" on our northern border thinking americans wouldn't notice. We are surrounded by them on all three sides of us. Fortunately we have catholic illegal immigrants coming over our southern border.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:04 pm
Re: Church of England launches attack on US
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The Archbishop of Canterbury has criticised the United States in a Muslim magazine, saying the country wields its power to "accumulate influence and control".

Rowan Williams says the American-led invasion of Iraq amounts to "clearing the decks" with a "quick burst of violent action", and has led to "the worst of all worlds".

The Anglican leader suggests that leadership in the US has broken down and that its actions are misguided. He contrasts it unfavourably with the way the British empire had governed India.

"It is one thing to take over a territory and then pour energy and resources into administering it and normalising it. Rightly or wrongly, that's what the British empire did - in India for example.

"It is another to go in on the assumption that a quick burst of violent action will clear the decks and that you can move on and other people will put it back together - Iraq for example."

Poor Rowan Williams. He is seriously ignorant of British history generally and both the histories of the British expulsion from Iraq the 1920s and of the British Administration of India in particular.

I suspect the inhabitants of India believed they were already quite "normal" before to the British Raj "normalized" them. Perhaps he is referring to the British suppression of a large Indian textile industry in favor of its own manufactures.

His metaphors are ill-chosen too. We have been in Iraq for four years now and the end is not yet in sight. So much for "quick bursts of violent action".
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:10 pm
You can't be surrounded on three sides. You are surrounded or you are not. So There!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:02 pm
Alright Roger, give it to me straight. What is the worse case senario for the Church of England (who ever the hell they are)going against us.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:44 am
I truely have not considered all ramifications. Still, it can't be any cooincidence that you mention the world "Hell", can it?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:48 am
Quote:
Archbishop thrown into row over US Middle East policy

· Muslim magazine hardens thrust of wide interview
· Conservative Christians hit back at Williams

Stephen Bates
Monday November 26, 2007
The Guardian

Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, found himself plunged into political controversy yesterday after remarks made during the course of a wide-ranging interview for a Muslim magazine were translated into an all-out attack on American policy in the Middle East.
The archbishop told Emel magazine in what it described as "a series of profound views expressed in serene tranquillity" that the US had lost the moral high ground since the terrorist attacks of September 11 2001, and that Washington's attempts to accumulate influence and control in the region were not working.

He was quoted as saying: "It is one thing to take over a territory and then pour energy and resources into administering it and normalising it. Rightly or wrongly, that's what the British empire did - in India, for example. It is another thing to go in on the assumption that a quick burst of violent action will somehow clear the decks and that you can move on and other people will put things back together - Iraq, for example."
The Sunday Times interpreted the remarks as implying that the US was the "worst" imperialist nation and that the crisis was caused by its actions and its misguided sense of its own mission.

The archbishop's criticism of Christian Zionism - the fundamentalist movement, particularly in the US, which supports the Jewish homeland of Israel because it sees it as a fulfilment of biblical prophesy - was transcribed by the newspaper as a more general criticism.

He had told his interviewer that he found Christian Zionism "not at all easy to accept", adding that it was connected with the "chosen national myth of America, meaning that what happens in America is very much at the heart of God's purpose for humanity".

Not for the first time, the archbishop found his words construed as a new critique of American policy, even though he has been a consistent and outspoken critic of the invasion of Iraq since his inception.

His remarks elsewhere in the interview about the place of religion in society, the development of relationships between Christian and Muslim communities in Britain and the claim that some Muslim political solutions are not always very impressive and might benefit from classical liberal democratic probing, were not reported.

He said: "Not everything about the west is destructive, secular and undermining of virtue."

The archbishop was also critical of Muslim treatment of Christians in Pakistan, saying: "The Pakistan Christian minority is persecuted by the overwhelming Muslim majority, which ought to be more confident and generous about its identity."

Williams called for the US to institute "a generous and intelligent programme of aid directed to the societies that have been ravaged, a check on the economic exploitation of defeated territories and a demilitarisation of their presence. All these things would help."

He described violence as "a quick discharge of frustration. It serves you. It does not serve the situation. Wherever people turn to violence what they do is temporarily release themselves from some sort of problem, but they help no one else.

"A lot of the pressure around the invasion of Iraq was 'we've got to do something, then we'll feel better.' That's very dangerous".

The remarks were immediately seized upon by US conservatives, scathing of the archbishop for his attempts to hold the worldwide Anglican communion together in its internecine struggle over the place of homosexuals in the church, as they attempt to wrest control of the US Episcopal church from its liberal leadership.

One, named as Katherine, wrote on the TitusOneNine conservative Episcopalian site: "The archbishop's warped view of history is staggering ... now, just when very encouraging progress is being made in Iraq, when massive US tax expenditures are going in and not out ... he feels called upon to label us [as] monsters. I wish he would feel called to do something about the one thing he does have responsibility for, which is the Anglican communion collapsing around his feet."

A spokesman for Lambeth Palace confirmed that the interview reflected the archbishop's opinions, which, he said, had been expressed before.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:35 am
Quote:
Yes, the dreaded "double P," powerful and pompous.

?!!!!

so could anyone explain the difference between the church of england and the church of america?

Quote:
this crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while.

- king bush, five days after the 9/11 attacks (which, let's be clear about this, happened on september 11th.)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:40 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:

so could anyone explain the difference between the church of england and the church of america?

Quote:
this crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while.

- king bush, five days after the 9/11 attacks (which, let's be clear about this, happened on september 11th.)

There is no Church of America. There are many different varieties of Christianity in America. Look at our past Presidents. Some were one or another brand of Protestant. John Kennedy was Catholic. The Church of England is the Church, I thought, that Henry VIII started. It dominates the country's "British culture," I thought.

Episcopaleans, I believe, are considered the American wing of the Church of England. Quite a few American WASPS are Episcopaleans and look back to England for their family's coat of arms or less impressive lineage.

However, the interesting thing about America and its religions is that there are Protestants that move between denominations of Protestantism as their lives go this way or that way economically. For example, a Methodist, getting a promotion to Vice-President in his/her job, may then find him/herself in a Presbyterian Church that next Sunday. This is sociolology which refers to "In-WASPS" and "Out WASPS." So, social climbing WASPS have moved between denominations as their fortunes change.

I can't see how this can happen in England? There's only one Church of England. Social class is less flexible there, I believe. A lot is still based on what one's father was. I'm talking about the mainstream British culture/society that we see on Keeping Up Appearances.

But, let's not forget England is an island nation. It still wields power though its Commonwealth, but the world is not learning English because of the British, I believe. The world is learning English because of the U.S.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:23 pm
Quote:
There is no Church of America.

not literally, no. however, i found it incredible that you target power and pomposity as a double problem, when they are the two things worshiped in america above all else. granted, there are some geniune christians here, and some real humanitarians, but the official religion seems to be hypocrisy.

so the church of england has condemned the actions of the united states in the middle east.

well, we lied, we killed countless innocent people, and we're crusading. yeah, you'd pretty much have to disagree with that to be christian.

what's the big deal with saying it? don't we believe in freedom of speech? oh right, just for us, we don't believe the english should have freedom of speech, but we should keep bombing iraq until they can vote. it makes no goddamned sense.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:05 am
For the Church of England to comment on the U.S., based on British criteria, is sort of silly, since the U.S. is a young country that only a hundred years ago still had a fairly undeveloped West.

We are really so different than the British, and the rest of Europe, it is a waste of time to judge the U.S., based on European sensibilities.

Perhaps, the clergy in the Church of England needs to see old reruns of Gunsmoke/Wagon Train/Bonanza to better understand the U.S.?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:14 am
Foofie wrote:
For the Church of England to comment on the U.S., based on British criteria, is sort of silly, since the U.S. is a young country that only a hundred years ago still had a fairly undeveloped West.

We are really so different than the British, and the rest of Europe, it is a waste of time to judge the U.S., based on European sensibilities.

Perhaps, the clergy in the Church of England needs to see old reruns of Gunsmoke/Wagon Train/Bonanza to better understand the U.S.?
Yes, that's the ticket foofie, a few episodes of Death Valley Days should do the trick.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:30 am
dyslexia wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Yes, that's the ticket foofie, a few episodes of Death Valley Days should do the trick.

20 Mule Team Borax was the sponsor! Wasn't President Reagan the host?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:31 am
yes, america is exceptional and special. it should dictate its idea of democracy (heck, even through violence), but nobody should dare to criticize it.... where have i heard that before? oh yes... exceptionalism.

wikipedia wrote:
American exceptionalism (cf. "exceptionalism") has been historically referred to as the belief that the United States differs qualitatively from other developed nations, because of its national credo, historical evolution, or distinctive political and religious institutions. The difference is typically expressed as some categorical superiority, to which is usually attached some alleged proof, rationalization or explanation that may vary greatly depending on the historical period and the political context...

The basis most commonly cited for American exceptionalism is the idea that the United States and its people hold a special place in the world, by offering opportunity and hope for humanity, derived from a unique balance of public and private interests governed by constitutional ideals that are focused on personal and economic freedom [citation needed]. It is therefore used by United States citizens to indicate a moral superiority of America or Americans. Others use it to refer to the American concept as itself an exceptional ideal which gives the country a privileged position, and which may or may not always be upheld by the actual people and government of the nation. Researchers and academics, however, generally use the term to strictly mean sharp and measurable differences in public opinion and political behavior between Americans and their counterparts in other developed democracies.

Opponents of the concept of American exceptionalism believe it to be little more than ethnocentrism and propaganda.[2] [3] They argue that justifications for an America-centered view of the world are inherently similar to those of many other nations, both ancient and modern, that have claimed an exceptional nature or a destiny different from all other countries. Great Britain at the height of the British Empire, Israel, the USSR and Nazi Germany have claimed manifest exceptionalism, as have many historic empires such as Ancient Rome and China, and a wide range of minor kingdoms and tribes in history. In each case a basis was presented as to why the country was exceptional compared to all other countries, drawing upon circumstance, cultural background and mythos, and self-perceived national aims. There is therefore a sharp divide between the views of those who believe in American exceptionalism, and those who disagree with it.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:43 am
Well, "exceptional" is only one word to describe the U.S. I tend to think of the U.S. as "blessed," or "unique," or "fortunate." Living in a country large enough for everyone to have space if they prefer it, with arable land to farm, different climates, timber, coal, water, is blessed, unique and fortunate.

But we must be different, since regardless of the critics, so much of the world wants to come here. The children also assimilate quickly, and enjoy being an American kid. And the children often grow a head taller than their parents, likely due to the nutritious food (that is often free at school for breakfast and lunch).

The one thing this country does have, that it doesn't need, are ingrates.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 10:05 am
yes, and many nationals of many other countries are feeling equally blessed and unique. in that sense your feelings are absolutley normal and not all that different from french, russian, german, japanese...or whichever other nationalist.

people immigrate there, too, and their host coutries' nationalists, too,feel they are 'ingrates' if they dare to criticize their host countries.

i'd rather be considered an 'ingrate' than a blind herd follower and i prefer critical thinking to dogma, hence i dislike exceptionalism of any sort (not just american).
0 Replies