Church of England launches attack on US

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 10:31 am
Quote:
Perhaps, the clergy in the Church of England needs to see old reruns of Gunsmoke/Wagon Train/Bonanza to better understand the U.S.?

it certainly explains that f***er in the oval office. just because his lot haven't advanced in 200 years doesn't mean they speak for the whole country, thanks very much.

Quote:
The one thing this country does have, that it doesn't need, are ingrates.

please remind me to bring this up the next time you lie about how your posts are only about your opinion, and not about other people. you seem to make a habit of throwing that farce into the mix everytime someone reacts "badly" to some of your fascist nonsense.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 12:30 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
yes, and many nationals of many other countries are feeling equally blessed and unique. in that sense your feelings are absolutley normal and not all that different from french, russian, german, japanese...or whichever other nationalist.

people immigrate there, too, and their host coutries' nationalists, too,feel they are 'ingrates' if they dare to criticize their host countries.

I agree with that, and I suspect Foofie would too.

dagmaraka wrote:
i'd rather be considered an 'ingrate' than a blind herd follower and i prefer critical thinking to dogma, hence i dislike exceptionalism of any sort (not just american).

An odd contradictin there. American exceptionalism is a term of fairly long standing. It refers mainly to a divergence in the attitudes and policies of Americans to those have prevailed in Europe. No doubt that these differences are mainly a result of the different conditions and histories of Europe and America. In short we have fairly persistently rejected some elements of prevailing Euriopean dogma. Unlike other European colonial creations, we, from an early stage, followed our own lights and rejected main elements of the "herd mentality" that they tried to impose on us.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 01:36 pm
america was founded by ingrates who had no respect for their leader, didn't want to pay for tea, and comitted acts of treason against their king.

more than half of its population has amnesia.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 01:39 pm
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 08:29 pm
In initially reading this thread, and the reference to the Church of England, I immediately saw, in my mind's eye, a vision of Hyacinth in Keeping Up Appearances calling to the Vicar, "Oh, Vicar!" in her high pitched call.

So, from my vantage point across the "pond," I see the Church of England as very essential to the pretensions of middle class English women. But, not a threat to the U.S. war policy.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 08:37 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
yes, and many nationals of many other countries are feeling equally blessed and unique. in that sense your feelings are absolutley normal and not all that different from french, russian, german, japanese...or whichever other nationalist.

people immigrate there, too, and their host coutries' nationalists, too,feel they are 'ingrates' if they dare to criticize their host countries.

i'd rather be considered an 'ingrate' than a blind herd follower and i prefer critical thinking to dogma, hence i dislike exceptionalism of any sort (not just american).

I hope you don't think I thought you were an ingrate. I did not. I just said the U.S. has them and doesn't need them, in context of all the U.S. affords its inhabitants.

But, why are you bringing the French, Russians, Germans, and Japanese (above) to this thread? The thread was about the Church of England criticizing the U.S.? Please don't crowd the U.S. and Church of England out of the thread with all these different nationalities. On second thought, the Germans can stay, since they usually speak impeccable English.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 08:56 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
america was founded by ingrates who had no respect for their leader, didn't want to pay for tea, and comitted acts of treason against their king.

more than half of its population has amnesia.

Scientifically speaking, America was founded by Native Americans that maintained the land until the Europeans came to make it a New World. It wasn't new; it had always been there.

Anyway, as an American I am not supposed to look at the colonial period from the perspective of the British, but from the perspective of the colonists. That's what I was taught in school and that is what I will subscribe to. Considering this country has given my family a decent country to live in for the past 125 years (compared to Europe), I will accept that version of history.

Everything has a context. I don't know the context of other people's posts, meaning what makes them think the way they do. But, I don't think it helps any discussion by assigning labels to someone's positions, like mine, since there is a good swath of this country that thinks like me. For my background and geographical area, my attitude is atypical, but not atypical for other regions and other backgrounds.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 11:11 pm
roger wrote:
I cringe at the very thought of being under attack by The Church of England.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 11:15 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
Quote:
There is no Church of America.

not literally, no. however, i found it incredible that you target power and pomposity as a double problem, when they are the two things worshiped in america above all else. granted, there are some geniune christians here, and some real humanitarians, but the official religion seems to be hypocrisy.

so the church of england has condemned the actions of the united states in the middle east.

well, we lied, we killed countless innocent people, and we're crusading. yeah,

You did? Somehow I doubt you accept the mantle of guilt you would impose.

you'd pretty much have to disagree with that to be christian.

what's the big deal with saying it? don't we believe in freedom of speech? oh right, just for us, we don't believe the english should have freedom of speech, but we should keep bombing iraq until they can vote. it makes no goddamned sense.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 11:24 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
yes, america is exceptional and special. it should dictate its idea of democracy (heck, even through violence), but nobody should dare to criticize it.... where have i heard that before? oh yes... exceptionalism.

wikipedia wrote:
American exceptionalism (cf. "exceptionalism") has been historically referred to as the belief that the United States differs qualitatively from other developed nations, because of its national credo, historical evolution, or distinctive political and religious institutions. The difference is typically expressed as some categorical superiority, to which is usually attached some alleged proof, rationalization or explanation that may vary greatly depending on the historical period and the political context...

The basis most commonly cited for American exceptionalism is the idea that the United States and its people hold a special place in the world, by offering opportunity and hope for humanity, derived from a unique balance of public and private interests governed by constitutional ideals that are focused on personal and economic freedom [citation needed]. It is therefore used by United States citizens to indicate a moral superiority of America or Americans. Others use it to refer to the American concept as itself an exceptional ideal which gives the country a privileged position, and which may or may not always be upheld by the actual people and government of the nation. Researchers and academics, however, generally use the term to strictly mean sharp and measurable differences in public opinion and political behavior between Americans and their counterparts in other developed democracies.

Opponents of the concept of American exceptionalism believe it to be little more than ethnocentrism and propaganda.[2] [3] They argue that justifications for an America-centered view of the world are inherently similar to those of many other nations, both ancient and modern, that have claimed an exceptional nature or a destiny different from all other countries. Great Britain at the height of the British Empire, Israel, the USSR and Nazi Germany have claimed manifest exceptionalism, as have many historic empires such as Ancient Rome and China, and a wide range of minor kingdoms and tribes in history. In each case a basis was presented as to why the country was exceptional compared to all other countries, drawing upon circumstance, cultural background and mythos, and self-perceived national aims. There is therefore a sharp divide between the views of those who believe in American exceptionalism, and those who disagree with it.

Well, Wikipedia...now there is the font of all truth.

America The Super Power is exceptional as any fair consideration of history will confirm.

Comparing America to the Soviet Union, The Third Reich, The Roman Empire, or the British Empire is historically ludicrous, albeit politically convenient.

(Throwing Israel in the mix only demonstrates the numbskull nature of your paper thin ideology)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 11:45 pm
I think, that wiki-report is just about American Exceptionalism.

Britannica here mainly (actually 'only', as far as I noticed) refers to Seymour Martin Lipset, American Exceptionalism: A Double-Edged Sword (1996)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 11:55 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Britannica here mainly (actually 'only', as far as I noticed) refers to Seymour Martin Lipset, American Exceptionalism: A Double-Edged Sword (1996)

However would we manage without the pedantic Walter?

I know, someone out there just might be interested in this insipid explanation.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 11:58 pm
finn, nobody was comparing america with russia or germany... but american nationalism and nationalists with those elsewhere. big difference.

foofie, what do you mean by 'i am not supposed to look at my history' from this or that point of view? says who? think with your own head, think critically and analytically, and arrive at your own conclusions...not eat up what you're served.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 11:59 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

factual posts are far more useful than personal retorts.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 12:03 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You call that pedantic?
Because I wrote about I thought the article is about, namely not a comparison of America to Russia or Germany but about what ... the title of that article and the writings in it say?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 12:16 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You call that pedantic?
Because I wrote about I thought the article is about, namely not a comparison of America to Russia or Germany but about what ... the title of that article and the writings in it say?

Yes
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 12:18 am
dagmaraka wrote:
finn, nobody was comparing america with russia or germany... but american nationalism and nationalists with those elsewhere. big difference.

foofie, what do you mean by 'i am not supposed to look at my history' from this or that point of view? says who? think with your own head, think critically and analytically, and arrive at your own conclusions...not eat up what you're served.

No?

Do you read what you insert?

Opponents of the concept of American exceptionalism believe it to be little more than ethnocentrism and propaganda.[2] [3] They argue that justifications for an America-centered view of the world are inherently similar to those of many other nations, both ancient and modern, that have claimed an exceptional nature or a destiny different from all other countries. Great Britain at the height of the British Empire, Israel, the USSR and Nazi Germany have claimed manifest exceptionalism, as have many historic empires such as Ancient Rome and China, and a wide range of minor kingdoms and tribes in history.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 12:21 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

factual posts are far more useful than personal retorts.

Oh really?

Then we can expect you to heretofore abide by this credo?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 12:31 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

No?

Do you read what you insert?

Opponents of the concept of American exceptionalism believe it to be little more than ethnocentrism and propaganda.[2] [3] They argue that justifications for an America-centered view of the world are inherently similar to those of many other nations, both ancient and modern, that have claimed an exceptional nature or a destiny different from all other countries. Great Britain at the height of the British Empire, Israel, the USSR and Nazi Germany have claimed manifest exceptionalism, as have many historic empires such as Ancient Rome and China, and a wide range of minor kingdoms and tribes in history.

of course i do. i brought exceptionalism into this thread. the quoted segment compares american exceptionalism with that of british, german, etc... NOT America with Britain or Germany... just as i said above. what's your point by quoting it?

the rest.. no comment.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 08:32 am
dagmaraka wrote:

What I mean, is that to pass my tests in school, I was supposed to look at American history from the perspective of the American colonists. So, the colonists, as rebels, had every right to form a new country.

And, I, having my own set of experiences in this life, with the context of my family and background, can subscribe to any orientation I choose, regarding this country. It is particularly annoying to have had family in the American military, during WWI, WWII, the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam Conflict, and then am told to question my Conservative identity/orientation, or whatever, by someone who does not have my family's history in the U.S. since the 1800's. What can we attribute that willingness, to give advice to someone, who has had a particularly different set of experiences?

My lieb Dagmaraka, please don't mind my business. I say that since you phrase your posting directly addressed to me. I don't mind your business, since it is none of my business. Please don't convert me to your critical analysis. Argue, if you choose, with my posting, but don't personalize it by advising me directly. I will only take direct advice from someone who has stood the test of time of their being American (I'm talking about one's family going back to the 19th century as Americans).
0 Replies