New Sculpture from hebba

hebba

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:39 am
Many new works can be seen on the new site.
Click on my www
Several of the kind members have been asking about my sculpture.
I´ll update the "in progress" page every Thursday so you can keep track of things.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,463 • Replies: 31
No top replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 07:09 am
Really nice, no wonder you're not here so often, friend!
Keep it up!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 07:22 am
hebba, you have taken what could be rotting wood somewhere in the forest and transformed it into a thing of color. This is in reference to your "reclining" pieces, and, carrying it over to depiction of the human race, I think of Thomas Grey and his observation, "...full many a flower is born to blush unseen and waste its sweetness on the desert air..." You have given that "blush" to the simple people of the world who were never recognized for their contributions to mankind. All distinctive art changes as one views it, and that is what makes it so wonderful. I have no doubt that I will see something unique the next time that I look.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 08:55 am
Okay, hebba. I asked for that by pm, but I see it's in your profile. I'll get back to it a bit later.

It's good to see you back, by the way.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 09:00 am
I really like arrivederci Vermlandsgade .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:09 am
LOVE the nests....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:15 am
I was just gonna say the same - love the nests, especially the nipple nest Smile
also the standing cable pieces.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:59 am
Thanks for the pm, hebba.

terrific stuff happening!
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 02:57 pm
Bigdice, I´m allowing myself a few minutes in a2k. Self indulgence time.

Gus, I´m happy you like that piece. It was a sad old tree, lying dead on a road called Vermlandsgade. I wheeled it off on my pushbike to the studio which was a trifle difficult as it measured over three metres with long branches all over the place.

Ossobuco and Dagmaraka, the nests are close to my heart as it was the first time I´d used colour. I keep going back to this nests idea- for four years now. It all comes from a photo I saw of weaver birds nests from South Africa.

Beth, thankyou.

The work that´s taking up all my time is micropop and the reclining pieces. It´s the way forward.

And Roger is just shocked by the new.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:41 pm
Interesting work, hebba.

Love the colour used!

Good to see you back!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 05:29 pm
Interesting!
What material do you use to make your sculptures, hebba?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 02:33 am
Wood. It´s all wood.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 05:48 am
I like it all. DO you use a resist and sandblasting for your "micropop" works?

I do some carving but its not anything like your nests and choices of shapes. Very neat.

Do you use hand or power tools (or both) for the free standings and 3-ds
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 06:31 am
bm

Hey, hebba! Very Happy

Thanks for alerting me to this new site. I will take a good look & respond later.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 08:37 am
Farmerman, I´m glad you like the work.
Resist and sandblasting?
Man, I used chisels, a gouge and a mallet on the micropop pieces. I´ve recently invested in a Fein multi tool which I cut the letters with. This really does save me hours of painstaking work.

All the 3D pieces are hand carved. An angle grinder has cut some grooves, but that´s it. I´ll post a photo of my mallets, they´re really busted up!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:01 am
I have a friend that does intarsia wood pieces that have look like Louise Nevelson" crossed with wooden signs. He does his lettering on wood by drawing the sign using a thick masking medium and then he sandblasts the wood around. Its a messy work technique. Yours stands out much more .
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 03:46 pm
Are they commisioned or does he make them because that´s what he does?
I´m just inspired by product information. Small print. No one looks at this stuff.

"Numero Verde" is a lightly altered interpretation of two square inches from the back of a De Cecco pasta packet. There´s a number you can call but this number is only valid in Italy. That is written in six languages. Crazy.
I´ve got so much waiting to be carved. I find it everywhere.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 04:27 pm
Ive done "Blueprint " looking blowups of foreign postage stamps as a background outline for lithos of animal subjects (I do a lot of wildlife art and its a bitch doing something different).
When I do the postage stamps, I used an srt projector to get the outlines set in and then traced the stamp pattern on my painting when it was half done.

I understand the juxtapositioning of print media . SO I was drawn to it.
Do you use acrylics for the bright colors?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 07:09 am
I like the nests, too, hebba.
Reclining piece no 5 makes me smile. It has a nice whimsical feel to it. Very Happy
I'll bet you really enjoyed producing these pieces. Lucky you, working away at what you love doing best in that terrific studio! What a life!
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 03:56 pm
I could, of course, use a projector with the micropop pieces, Farmerman. But, first I copy them freehand on paper, then draw the motif on the wood from my interpretation of the design. Then the tools come out.
I´m striving to reproduce the impression I got when I saw them for the first time. I want folks to see these big wooden slabs and think the way I thought when I looked at the tomato tin or the pasta packet.
The colours are acrylic, yes. First a touch of shellac on the knots, then a big layer of primer and then the colours. These pieces really do take a long time to make.
Olga, I´m very happy you´re smiling. I DO enjoy it. Glad you like the nests. I should get some more views of Reclining piece no 5 in there as it´s got some groovy qualities one can´t see from that image.
0 Replies