High End Shotgun Bargain

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 01:23 pm
One of the few things you can do with guns but is exceedingly difficult to do with bows is shoot ducks and geese on the wing and, even if you could, it would be anti-cost-effective, i.e. you can justify losing an arrow for 75 - 200 lbs of venison but not for a <10-lb duck or goose. That's what shotguns are for.

I stumbled onto this one...

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8155302

These are being sold on gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com at something like $200 under Gander Mountains price, which is probably dealer's cost. Seller is one of America's largest/most major shotgun sport centers. This is a very good shotgun which Beretta probably views as a low-end hunting gun and what I suspect might be happening is that a big dealer makes his money on guns costing a good deal more than the 1K for the Xtrema and has to take a certain number of the Xtremas along with the expensive guns and then the Xtremas get sold on gunbroker or auctionarms.

They're basically giving the Xtrema away at cost. The Xtrema is imperviouis to salt spray and adjusts automatically to every kind of shot shell including the 3.5" mags and comes with enough chokes to do any sort of thing with it. Compared to semiauto shotguns of years past, it's much faster. It's gas operated and the gas system compensates for all known 12 guage ammo automatically, and then comes off as a single unit for cleaning.

A couple of reviews I've seen describe it as an ultimate functional shotgun:

http://www.wildfowlmag.com/tool_trade/beretta_xtrema/#cont
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,822 • Replies: 4
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 04:30 pm
Wow! I'm gonna get my mom one for Christmas!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 05:51 pm
One consideration, your Ma could likely toss her M14 if you buy her one of these. This thing appears to be more sophisticated than any military weapon, at least I don't know of any military weapon which compensates for loads automatically.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 05:58 pm
Hey! Maybe she'll give me her M14 for Christmas!

Win-win, man.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 09:54 am
boomerang wrote:
Hey! Maybe she'll give me her M14 for Christmas!

Win-win, man.

Your ma would win that one. This thing is an extreme example of the civilian market outpacing whatever governments could try to do along similar lines; it's a solid ton more sophisticated than any military firearm.

In fact it solves the basic problem which the M16 was supposed to solve without the side effects. The idea of the M16 was to increase accuracy by eliminating the motion of a heavy piston in the mechanism but you pay for it when you go to clean the thing. The new Beretta shotgun has a piston mechanism you have to see to believe. The thing actually has a piston RING like an engine and is advertised as self-cleaning and isn't far from that. Exhaust gas and carbon do not reach the bolt or bolt carrier at all.

Moreover the piston is extremely small and light and is only moving an inch and a half or so and THROWS the bolt carrier back rather than pushing it back; that can't affect accuracy.
0 Replies