I'm a little pissed. Should I be?

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 09:15 pm
So now we find out that Katie Holmes was in the NYC Marathon as a VIP. A what? The rest of us have to either qualify by :
running other marathons,
or by finishing a set number of races by the NYRR (9)
or by giving a contribution to aNYRR charity like TEAM for KIDS
or by winning a slot in the lottery of remaining places.

Press reports says she did none of those. She and seven, count'em seven, bodyguards ran because, well, because she asked them nicely if she could, please, thankyou. I guess.

Anyway, here is the letter I just sent to the NYRR President.

Quote:

First, I would like to congratulate the incredible staff and management at NYRR for putting on a truly magnificent marathon event. I have been a bystander at several NYC Marathons in the past, but this year, upon reaching the age of 60, I decided to run in it.
(I actually started training two and half years ago dropping sixty pounds along the way.)

This was my first marathon and it was a great experience. I won't bore you with the details. The real value for me, however, was not just running the marathon, but running in all of the races in order to qualify to be in it and meeting hundreds, if not thousands, of other people interested in running. It was an honor to be on the road with them in those events and a greater honor to part of the ING 2007 NYC Marathon.

So many faces, there were the two guys who were on the 5AM subway with me and several others headed for the Staten Island ferry. They had trained together for over a year, meeting in a New Jersey park at 5:30AM four days a week, one had lotteried in, the other didn't make it. Tough break, we all told him, maybe next year. There he was, seeing his buddy off at the crack of dawn before going back uptown to meet him at the finish. Running builds friendships like that.

When several friends of mine mentioned that Katie Holmes had been in the race, I assured them that she must have entered by contributing to a charity ala Lance Armstrong, but I now see in press reports that this was not the case, that she had been allowed in the event well after entries had been closed to others. This is not fair to the thousands who failed to win a slot in the lottery or worked to qualify and should not be allowed to occur in the future.

I just read this:
Quote:
"Celebrities and people with name recognition are important to every sport, it adds glitz and glamour," Richard Finn, director of media relations for the New York Road Runners Club told "Access." "Does Billy Crystal have trouble getting tickets to the Yankees World Series? No. Do celebrities have trouble getting reservations in hot restaurants? No. In fact, they probably don't even pay for the meals much of the time."
Access Hollywood

To my knowledge, Mr. Crystal does not play in the World Series, he gets a seat. If Ms. Holmes wanted to watch the race, even sit in the grandstand, I would have no objection whatsoever, but to allow her to run because of her "compelling story", or her glitz and glamour, brings nothing of value to, what I think I can now call, our sport. If anything, Ms. Holmes got more coverage than Paula Radcliffe. That shouldn't be and I'm sure Mr. Finn would agree.

In the future, if any other persons approach the NYRR to gain VIP entry on the same basis as Katie, I hope they will be directed to send a nice, big fat check to the Marathon Charity of their choice and to add an additional seven checks of the same amount to cover the entries of their "special level of security" staff.

Please pass these comments on to whoever makes these decisions.

Thanks. Everything else was perfect.
See you on the road.
I'm the still-a-little-paunchy guy in the nearly worn-out orange training jersey and the faded Life is Good hat.

(signature)

Joe(I'm qualified for next year, but the year after that I'm going to get by on my smile.)Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,268 • Replies: 31
No top replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 10:58 pm
I guess I didn't realize the qualifications you have to go through to get a race number. I think she should have to qualify like everyone else!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:10 pm
Joe, maybe you should marry a celebrity goof. Sounds a lot easier. Cool
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 12:08 am
Its not like they needed the publicity a celebrity would bring to attract attention to the event.

Yep your entitled to be a little pissed but only a little. Build a bridge Joe.

Dad(Its not the end of the world)Pad
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 12:31 am
One runner in a field of 39,000 shouldn't be enough to piss anybody off. The only place that I have been able to find anything to say regarding entering as a VIP is Access Hollywood. Every other publication or news report only reported on her entry under an alias, but having her time of 5 hrs + posted under her real name.

Take comfort with your accomplishment and don't sweat the small stuff.

Not a life altering situation.

Intrepid (I couldn't run to the corner and back)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 01:46 am
No. It's customary and traditional. Even kings must yield to custom.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 04:53 am
Okay. I'm not that pissed.
But I bet a bunch of the 50,000 who didn't get to race are.

Some. A little.

to say nothing of the folks who did write checks (or went to the friends and co-workers and stranger and asked for money) to get in are.

It's $2,500. Do you think Tom and Katie have that kind of money?

Joe(This is all I got to say about that)Nation
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 06:55 am
Im a little ( just alittle ) pissed with you.

I guess, if you have bank account that never ends, you are special to everyone no matter what you can or can not do.

BUT- ( and this is a big but)
She may HAVE qualified, but choose not to have that disclosed to the press so that she could continue running with out being followed by those stupid camera guys.
I mean, nothing says " Find me" by babbling about all the little races you enter and where.
If the press reallllly gets wind of her enjoying racing, and trying to qualify for each race, they will be at every one, chasing her down.
She already has no privacy. She might be trying to enforce a tiny bit here by out right lying..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 10:05 am
I'm a little pissed with you. What level of celebrity does it take to get this kind of pass? Harrumph...

Now here's an idea - a celebrity marathon, with only celebrities and their concommittent body guards...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 10:15 am
I have a hard time picturing Katie Holmes running a marathon.

And yes, it's patently unfair. However, maybe her contribution warranted it?
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 11:49 am
That rots.
You've got an unwritten glam rule, NYRR? Kiss your cred goodbye.

Just for that, I'm not running next year.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 05:30 pm
I'm probably a little more pissed than most of the people who are a little pissed.

If you have to struggle to get into the race, the struggle should be fair.

Since I'm only a little pissed, I offer a little phooey.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 06:40 pm
George wrote:
That rots.
You've got an unwritten glam rule, NYRR? Kiss your cred goodbye.

Just for that, I'm not running next year.

How convenient... .

And after I went and made you this practice map:
http://bostontrials2008.com/bostontrials2008/Image/Course_Maps/Trialsmap650.jpg

Joe(It goes right by my former apartment{Beacon & Berkley1965})Nation
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 09:50 am
I don't know if you should be pissed. To me, first I would have to know who the hell is Katie Holmes????
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 11:28 am
Since you asked Ms. Holmes

Joe(but do you really want to know?)Nation
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 01:35 pm
Women's Marathon?
You tryin to tell me sumpin?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 01:55 pm
Yep. I think you ought to be pissed.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 01:59 pm
I think George should be pissed

Laughing
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 02:24 pm
Checked out your link, Joe, and you're right - I still don't know anything about her, and really don't care. I wouldn't know her if she walked up to my door, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't let her in anyway. Out here, celebrity is not considered to be much of an asset.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 05:58 am
I think I was thinking about this when I had this dream:

Actors
0 Replies