Chernobyl in photos

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 05:37 pm
Chernobyl

oh my god.

I am in tears. Heavy heavy tears.
I have to say I had no clue what that place was. It was just a weird name for me all of my life that I liked saying. The name felt good on my tongue as a kid and I remember using that name for my pretned places , and some toys.

As an adult.. I still have no clue.

I have only made it about 1/2 way through that site and my throat is tight from crying.

But, I dont understand how... if his place was sealed as the website says.. abotu 20 years ago?? How are children of 3 and younger dying of horrible growths, cancer and other problems? Why is this still happening to people?

But my biggest question is why are they allowed to go on living? hate me if you will, I dont care.
But these are children of 3, 4, 6 maybe 7 years old who dont even know where they are. They have to eat off of the floor like dogs, or have their brains growing outside of their skulls and have no other hope for any normal life.
No. Im not saying we need to just kill them. But I have to say that I dont understand the treatments being given. I really dont. And if that makes me a cold hard bitch, so be it.
But Im looking at these kids whos body folds over on themselves, and the look in their eyes of .. really just not being alive... and I dont get it. It isnt their fault that their bodies are like this. It isnt their parents fault either.
But from the website, I really get the idea that there are aggressive treatments being given to these kids, and I realy dont understand why. What can a tiny baby, with a growth on his body that containes his kidneys, ever do with life?
What about that child who has to live tied up because he literally eats himself?

im sorry. im not posting these as questions for anyone to try to answer. Im sure I am not the first person to ever think these things, or wonder how in the hell this happened to other humanbeings. I am just writting what is in my head because I can not wrap my mind around this. It just does not make sense to me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,465 • Replies: 15
No top replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:07 pm
there's alot more to see on that site, how it happened and why, but those poor children, mymymy... I've seen some of the pictures in a german magazine, Stern, before. Seeing them again didn't lessen the impact.

BTW, I was 19yrs at the time, living in Sweden, we got some whiffs of that cloud, too. I can remember that mushrooms and game from the northern parts of Sweden wasn't selling very well for years after Chernobyl. Go figure.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:15 pm
Gosh, I didn't realize it has been that long since it happened. I remember seeing the stories on the news about it. The Soviet Union wasn't even going to tell anyone. I can't remember which country and there could have been more than one caught the problem because it was in the air. They must have machines that give off readings for radiation. It didn't just affect the immediate area. Since it was in the air other countries were contaminated too.

To me it is similar in a way to the 2 nuclear bombs we dropped on Japan. It contaminated the whole area so, in essence it contaminates future generations. My understanding is the contamination stays for many many years.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:22 pm
And you know there are people who still deny there was any long lasting effect from this tragedy. They are like Holocaust deniers.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:24 pm
it is 20 years later and children are still being born with horrible birth defects due to the radiation from that place.

Sadly, even if it were completely cleaned today, the ramifications of the exposure would linger for several generations through those peoples genes.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:29 pm
That is really sad for everyone involved Sad
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:23 pm
i remember 1986. classmates brought the news from austrian radio (we didn't catch that at home, because our radio waves were jammed by secret police). it was whispered about for a few days, because teachers were instructed to deny it or to not talk about it...not that anyone would dare ask. we were 10, but we knew what we can and cannot do. When they were allowed to talk about it, they claimed the wave has bypassed Slovakia. (Sure, it was detected in Germany, Switzerland.... but decided to cut around Slovakia through hungary or Poland. Nice of that radiation).

i saw some of 'these' kids. both as people fled Chernobyl, those who could, and some were born in Slovakia. The contamination, they say, will last about 25,000 years.
We had gigantic vegetables and fruit for awhile in our garden. We didn't eat the really big ones...ha. we thought those were radioactive (the small ones were fine of course).
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:48 pm
What made it all the more atrocious was that the Russians did absolutely
nothing to secure the power plant, and when the radiation was leaking
out, it was the Finish who first were alarmed of the high radiation levels
they were measuring with their equipment.

From there, all of Europe could measure high radiation levels. Everyone
panicked, especially when it came to food. Milk, meat, cheeses, fruits,
grains - almost all food was contaminated.

Organic farmers went out of business overnight.

Certain food groups were contaminated for years, especially mushrooms,
and venison.

The scary part is, there are many poorly maintained power plants like Chernobyl in Russia. It can happen again.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 08:00 pm
here is a one hour long movie one can watch online:

http://pripyat.com/en/media/video_news/

the people are not dubbed, though there is an english commentary about half of the time... speaking russian helps, heh.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 08:18 pm
I need to come back and look. Brutal...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 08:33 pm
some people still live there, in the forbidden zone. they returned and live there illegally as it's out of bounds. there's a grandpa and grandma in the movie. they were away for three weeks. they returned to their house, they farm their plot of land, live off of what they grow.
one of the guys interviewed in the movie (it was a group of survivors who worked at the plant - including the director of the plant that became the scapegoat of the disaster) died shortly after due to leukemia.
they go visit their previous apartments, school, factory... sad.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:06 pm
That is a very important piece of work.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 06:39 am
I had my sound off when I first viewed this.
I did not realize there is a running commentary with it.

Even after watching it a second time, it still bothers me.

25,000 years for this to go away?
Or 25,000 before humans have stopped showing signs in their genes?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 07:41 am
Crying or Very sad
no words
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 08:08 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_accident
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 08:50 pm
I can read all of the data everywhere..

I just cant . wrap. my.mind.around.this.
0 Replies