Some Audio CDs don't play in my computer

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 11:28 pm
Hi

I have a half decent computer running WIN XP. For some reason some purchased audio CDs don't register is being in the DVD/CD drive, it's a very small number but it's always the same CDs.

I don't think it's copy protection because of the variety of ages and record companies involved. Not to mention that my understanding is that copy protection degrades the sound of the copy, rather than hide the CD from the drive.

And I don't think it's the hardware or software because the majority of my CDs play fine.

And it's not dirty discs - I can take them out the plastic wrap and stick them in the drive and XP doesn't register their existence.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I've tried Nero, WMP, Feurio and EAC and none of the detect the CD, so it's at the OS level I guess. Hunted the web and haven't seen anyone report the same behaviour.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,644 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 11:39 pm
Upside down?

Sorry hinge thats all I've got.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 11:44 pm
Worth a shot DP, but I'm not that clueless (wish I was, then I'd have a solution)

I found this, but the software they refer to was last updated 2003 AND the copy protection they suspect was last used in 1999 (and one of the disks with the problem was released in 2007.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f80/dealing-illegal-toc-unrecognized-audio-cds-125591/

I'm gonna download it and give it a burl anyway.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 11:59 pm
This is the last field in which I would claim expertise, but I just happened to a solution to one one copy right scheme. There was some code on the disk that could be defeated with a black marking pen on the periphery.

I think Stoat brought that up, maybe as far back as Abuzz time. Why not pm to Stoat. He's quite helpful, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 12:01 am
Will they play in another unit?

Like a cd/dvd player?

Bowled im

200 test wickets for stewie Mcgill
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 12:40 am
Yeah, I remember the marking pen solution, but I'm not game to ruin a CD. These CDs all play in a normal CD player.

That software didn't make any diff - it's definitely somewhere between the CD, the hardware and the OS. Will take some to work and see if they work there.
0 Replies