Walnut Cake recipe

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:29 am
I found this recipe in the Albuquerque Journal this week and it looks like a winner for the holidays. The recipe is adjusted for New Mexico's high altitude so you may have to adjust it to your lower altitude. I've clarified and corrected the lack of clear specific directions in the original recipe.

WALNUT CAKE
Adapted by BumbleBeeBoogie

3/4 pound walnut pieces
1 tablespoon white flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
8 large eggs, separated into two bowls
3/4 cup granulated white sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
zest of 1 orange peel (avoid grating the white pith under the peel)
1 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons Oloroso Sherry (a full-bodied medium-sweet sherry)
1 tablespoon powdered sugar

Lightly butter a 10-inch spring-form pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and lightly butter the paper.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Pulse grind the walnuts in a food processor until fine. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the nuts to sprinkle over the top of the cake.

Add the flour and baking powder to the walnuts in the food processor and pulse the processor just long enough to thoroughly mix.

In a mixer, beat the separated egg yolks and the water until well-blended. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar. Continue beating until the mixture is light and lemon-colored and the mixture forms a ribbon when dropped from a spoon.

Stir in the Orange peel zest. Stir in the ground walnut mixture.

In a separate mixer bowl, beat the separated egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold a large spoonful of the beaten egg whites into the walnut mixture to lighten it, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites. Don't over mix to void losing it's volume.

Spoon the cake batter into the prepared pan.

Sprinkle the reserved 2 tablespoons of ground walnuts over the batter.

Place the cake pan on the center rack of your oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until puffed and golden.

Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool to room temperature. As the cake cools, it will settle. If you are not serving the cake immediate, when cooled, wrap the cake in plastic wrap or place n a covered cake plate so it doesn't dry out.

Before serving the cake, beat the whipping cream into soft peaks. Whisk in the Oloroso Sherry. Sift the powdered sugar through a small strainer, to remove clumps, into the whipped cream and whisk until blended.

Serve a slice of cake with a dollop of Oloroso whipped cream. Serves 12

PER SERVINGS: 372 calories; 9 grams protein; 22 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 29 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 168 milligrams cholesterol; 7 milligrams sodium.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,694 • Replies: 9
Topic Closed
No top replies

Sglass

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:39 am
confused in Boston. All it calls for is 1 tablespoon flour? Is this truly a cake Ms. Boogie?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:51 am
Sglass
Sglass wrote:
confused in Boston. All it calls for is 1 tablespoon flour? Is this truly a cake Ms. Boogie?

Yep! It's not a typo.

There are several cake recipes with small amounts of flour. They usually are called flowerless cakes.

This recipe is high on egg whites for volume. That's why the calorie count is lower than cakes having a lot of flour.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:52 am
Here's a similar different walnut cake recipe, my own favorite cake recipe that is the only one I use, as a not-too-often cake maker. I haven't made it since I moved to New Mexico, so this should do for lower altitudes. The cookbook author lives by the Pacific Ocean at low altitude, but her recipe is an adaptation of a Venice, Italy cake recipe.

I've posted this recipe on a2k a couple of times before -

quoting another post of mine.....

Chocolate Walnut cake from Venice

This is in a little book called Venice Cooking with Betty Evans. She is a friend. She and her husband lived in Rome for a while, as he pursued an artist's life, before buckling down to working in the aircraft industry in California. Everywhere they lived, she listened and cooked; she teaches cooking at her wonderful house in Hermosa Beach, California (a small house with, in the back yard, italian cypress in two rows pruned up to have an overhead trellis under them, a bed of gravel underneath, and picnic tables.. grape vines grow over the trellises...)

I will copy what she says....

Italian cakes are flatter than American cakes. There are flavorful and smaller slices are served. This cake is quite simple to make. You do need a spring form pan. These pans are available at any kitchen store and handy for many things. (Osso - I know it has worked in one of those bundt pans, though springform is better..)

Ingredients
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar (or less)
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate (3 squares) (Osso - If you only have 2, it's fine)
3/4 cup of strong coffee
2 eggs
2 tablespoons rum (or brandy or?)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups chopped walnuts

Procedure
Cream the butter with the sugar. Melt the chocolate in the coffee. Cool slightly. Add to the butter sugar mixture. Beat in the eggs and rum. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to the batter along with the chopped walnuts. Place in a 10" spring form pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes until firm. Remove from pan and cool on rack. Sometimes whipped cream is spread on top. This will serve eight.

osso:
I don't know about the flour difference in the recipes. I know this one works, but the other is probably not an error as the walnuts are ground in that recipe into a kind of walnut flour. I seem to remember having one other walnut cake recipe that had little or no flour, and that was good too.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:55 am
Re: Sglass
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Sglass wrote:

Yep! It's not a typo.
There are several cake recipes with small amounts of flour. They usually are called flowerless cakes.
This recipe is high on egg whites for volume. That's why the calorie count is lower than cakes having a lot of flour.
BBB

The low flour and high egg white content also causes the cake to settle as it cools.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:59 am
So, we both say it's not a typo, good.

Gala started a thread about walnuts not too long ago. Me, I love them, and they're good for us too. LINK
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 11:23 am
Osso
ossobuco wrote:
So, we both say it's not a typo, good.
Gala started a thread about walnuts not too long ago. Me, I love them, and they're good for us too. LINK

Thanks for the info, Osso. I was not aware of that thread. A2K is getting so big it's hard to keep track.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 11:40 am
'Welcome.

Meantime, I'm inspired to bake both cakes - the flavors are different and they both sound good. I could consider them "breakfast" cakes...
I'll have to look at the sugar content as I tend to like not very sugary cakes.
Will report back.
0 Replies

Leaka

Sat 15 Dec, 2007 11:02 pm
Oh they all sound very good.
I will have to try some of these recipes now.
Thank you for sharing.
0 Replies

Sanjeev Agrwal

Wed 5 Aug, 2015 01:15 am

0 Replies