http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7082795.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 964 • Replies: 16
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 08:24 am
Whatdya wanna bet the gun came from the U.S. and now Finland will pressure the U.N. to force international anti-gun laws on us?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 08:42 am
cjhsa wrote:
Whatdya wanna bet the gun came from the U.S. and now Finland will pressure the U.N. to force international anti-gun laws on us?

Your sympathy and empathy for the victims is overwelming. Don't anybody take his guns away.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 08:59 am
Way, way ahead of you Int.

Steady as she goes there mate. Don't rock the boat.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:15 am
Yes, it is tragic, the madness has reached our shores too. The gunman was according to the reports fascinated by Harris and Klebold.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 11:00 am
cjhsa wrote:

It's the first known school shooting in Finland - a country in which gun ownership, by European standards, is fairly common, but shootings are rare.

Eight persons died so far, btw, these really tragic madnesses will continue, I fear.

Thanks for your sympathy, cjhsa.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 11:19 am
Another "gun free zone" and a psychopath claims more lives. I am sympathetic to the victims but until people realize that banning guns isn't the answer I will continue to pound my message.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 11:21 am
Pound away, McDuff
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 11:22 am
Enjoy your tofu Mr. Kirk.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 11:26 am
cjhsa wrote:
Another "gun free zone" and a psychopath claims more lives. I am sympathetic to the victims but until people realize that banning guns isn't the answer I will continue to pound my message.

I don't think that in this moment and on this thread there should be a discussion about this.

But since you, cjhsa, with your uneducated knowledge made that remark: how do get "gun free zone"? Can you point at one single point in the Finnish laws which leads you to such nonsense?

Quote:
In Finland there are 56 privately owned weapons per 100 civilians. Only the United States (90) and Yemen (61) have more heavily armed civilian population ... ...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 11:28 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I don't think that in this moment and on this thread there should be a discussion about this.

So what should the discussion be about Walt? Banning weapons?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 02:31 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
Yes, it is tragic, the madness has reached our shores too. The gunman was according to the reports fascinated by Harris and Klebold.

I am very sorry to hear this, Paaskyden.

I do wish the media would not even print the names of the perpetrators in these cases, since a large part of the motivation is to go out in a blaze of "glory" and be famous.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 02:35 pm
dlowan wrote:

I do wish the media would not even print the names of the perpetrators in these cases, since a large part of the motivation is to go out in a blaze of "glory" and be famous.

Agreed.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 03:17 pm
So sorry about this - things like this are horrible no matter where it happens.

I had heard it was a result of something on UTube?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 06:49 pm
I doubt that Oralloy started this thread with the intention of beginning a major debate on gun control or second amendment rights in the USA. Don't you think, cjsha, that a little sympathy for the victims of a brutal, unwarranted and, in Finland at least, unprecedented massacre is in order here? Your insistence on everyone's right to go around armed borders on the obsessive. I hesitate to diagnose it as a borderline psychosis .

It so happens that I, too, am not in favor of more rigid gun control. However, this thread was started to address a particularly tragic and sad event, not to air our personal views on this matter.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:26 am
dlowan wrote:

I could not agree more. Let him be mourned by his close ones, but let us remember only the victims and not the perpetrator. The media attention these types get fuels copy cat crimes of similar nature. This was very obviously a case of someone wanting attention, if he couldn't get positive attention he would go for negative attention. He was someone who adopted extreme viewpoints just so he could revel in the outrage his statements caused in class and on the Internet. He was also completely egoistic, if he wasn't happy, everybody must suffer. And finally he was a coward, for he did not want to face the consequences of his actions, defend his so-called ideals, why his victims did not deserve to live. He was a very disturbed young man of which there are very many in the world today.

I wonder what triggered him. He became a member of a shooting club three weeks ago, apparently only so that he could obtain a gun license and buy a gun, he spent maybe two weeks practising and nobody noticed anything more than that he was withdrawn (which is a trait of all Finns, so hardly something alarming).

Some people who are unhappy in highschool go on to take a modest job and come up with the relativity theory in their spare time, but of course it is a lot easier to gain fame by buying a gun and killing indiscriminately. These people should not be given any media attention.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 12:30 am
So there's an US-link to the that fatal shooting:

Quote:
http://i4.tinypic.com/6yz0dop.jpg

A US teenager who admitted plotting a school attack chatted online with a Finnish 18-year-old who last week killed eight people and then himself, the American boy's lawyer said today.

Finnish police said material seized from the computer of Pekka-Eric Auvinen suggested he had communicated online with Dillon Cossey, 14, who was arrested in October for allegedly preparing an attack at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School in suburban Philadelphia.

Auvinen went on a killing spree last Wednesday at his high school in southern Finland after first announcing the bloodbath with a video posted on the internet site YouTube.

Cossey's attorney, J David Farrell, said he showed Auvinen's online screen name to his client today and the teen remembered communicating with him about the 1999 Columbine massacre in Colorado, in which two students killed 13 people before fatally shooting themselves.
"They had discussed certain video games and shared videos with each other," Farrell said. "Obviously, Columbine was a shared topic of interest."
Source/full report
0 Replies