Problems with Head Gaskets in 1984 VW Vanagon

vwblues

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 02:16 pm
Yes,

I have a 1984 VW Vanagon and have owned it for the past 4 years. I have put plenty of money in it so far and really would love to continue to put whatever money is neccessary to keep it on the road and running. The outside is in great shape, as is the rest of the vechile.

A few days ago, I ran into a slight problem with the antifreeze and headgaskets. the person I brought it to told me that he repaired a hose and put in some new antifreeze. when he started it up the engine ran good but then I guess it started leaking antifreeze again. He said the head gaskets need to be repaired, but also suggested that it may not be worth it to have it done.

Keep in mind this is not my normal mechanic who works on my van. I am skeptical of this guy and definitely want to have MY mechanic take a look at it and see what he says. Either way I still would like to have it fixed no many how much it costs.

I hope I have explained this problem good enough. I was just wondering if any of you guys have run into this problem and what do you suggest I do? Also do any of you guys have an idea on how much this would cost to fix? Thanks in advance for your help.

ER
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,308 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 03:23 pm
Big jump from leaking coolant to head gaskets. Have it looked at by a real shop with the equipment to diagnose. Very few head gaskets leak subtantially to the exterior of the engine. Is it producing white smoke, or is there sludge or bubbles in the radiator? (when the cap is off)
0 Replies

vwblues

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 04:09 pm
at the moment, the van is still at the shop so I can't really look at it to see if there is sludge or bubbles in the radiator. when i was driving it however it did start producing some white smoke. then i would let off hte gas a little and the smoke would go away until I pushed hte gas pedal more and then it would come back. I was going approx. 65-70 mph.

same thing i thought that's a big jump too. for some reason I think this guy is trying to scam me b/c he wants the van for himself. i am sure it is in good enough shape so who knows.

i live in upstate new york, do you know of any REAL repair shops with the equipment to diagnose it. I am not sure if the mechanic I usually go to has it, but he always works on it before so I don't know.

as far as my explanation of the problem, I could be wrong in explaining what the exact problem is, but I think I describe it close enough. the back of hte van had some water? accumlation on the hatchback, but it still is starts, idles and all that jazz.

any ideas/suggestions? i really not sure what I should do
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 04:30 pm
White smoke is a BAD sign. My guess is that he had other symptoms previous to this (and maybe selling the car to you) and knows what is coming.
Any reputable shop would be capable of diagnosing the head gasket problem, but not necessarily fixing it.
I have my doubts about the viability of performing this major of a job on that vehicle. You will have more in it than it is possibly worth.
0 Replies

vwblues

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 05:47 pm
how bad of a sign is it excatly? well i've had the van for a number of years and really haven't had many problems with it. I do admit I have already put more money into it then I paid for it.

so how much of a major job is this to fix the problem? do you think its a good idea or should I start looking for a new/used car?

yeah i dont think that shop can fix it. i am hoping my usual mechanic can fix it. i sure hope he can. does it matter that the van still starts and doesn't stall out.

the thing that really pissed me off and i was driving hte walmart and some later clipped the side of my van. i stopped and looked at it. both vechiles appeared to have little to no damage so i didn't file a police report or get her name or #. Boy and I regretting this ****.

thanks again for your help and I am interested in what you have to say.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:40 pm
White smoke is water burning in the combustion chamber.

This is only able to happen due to leakage from the cooling system, through the head gasket(in this case), into the chamber.

Major surgery to fix.
0 Replies

vwblues

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 12:53 am
yeah that sounds familiar. i think the guy I brought it to said something very similiar to that, if not the exact same thing.

so what your saying is there is no reason for me to fix it. that really sucks. if i were to fix it, how much would you say it would cost me? like i said eariler i really don't want to get rid of it, but judging from what you're telling me i guess my only options would be to sell it or just give it away and i don't really want to do either.

just want to say thanks for helping me with this problem. you've been more than helpful and i really appreciated it. if you have anything more advise, just let me know.

thanks again
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:23 am
There is no inexpensive fix. If you truly LOVE this van,

http://www.bostonengine.com/articles/waterboxes.html

this will explain replacement.

Most people opt to simply replace the engine, instead.

This will run around $3000 for the parts, plus labor over $1000.
If you Google boston engine exchange vw, you will find a lot more info. (this is not me, I'm not a Patriots fan :wink: )

Good luck.
0 Replies

vwblues

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:36 pm
well after reading a little bit about the problem, i am really starting to feel depressed. i truely do love this van alot, but $4000+ is quite a bit of cash and i could probably buy a new car for that kind of cash. might just do that and hold on to my van until i have more money to fix it.

i have to be honest I am not much of a car buff so i wont be doing this project myself. you mention most people opt to simply replace the engine instead. would that be cheaper? also wondering if i were to replace the engine, woudl it be possible for me to make it so my van can run on either diesel, biodiesel, or recycled veggie oil? i would really love to be able to do that if at all possible, but I am sure that will be just as expensive if not more.

again, thanks for your help. i'll let you know how things turn out and what i decide to do.

eric
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:53 pm
Seems you would be better served to research a multi purpose diesel vehicle to fit your needs that is newer and in your price range. I routinely pick up vehicles in your situation for $100 to $500 to recycle. That year Vanagon has very little overall value.

Not trying to be blunt, just honest.
0 Replies

vwblues

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 06:21 pm
i appreciate your honesty. i'm still not sure what i will end up doing. i really do love this van and really can't picture myself without it. i will probably look for another car (VW) and keep my van stored in my garage for the time being. eventually i will have the money to fix it up, but right now i despartely need a car to get to me work and what not. thanks again for all your help.

the one question i do have is what do you think i should do? have you ever had any experience with this sort of thing before?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:35 pm
I'm the guy who buys it when you give up.
0 Replies

vwblues

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 11:34 pm
lol

if that's the case and i do wish to sell it? since you know all the problems i have had with it, what price would you suggest i sell it for? ohh and where do you live, in case we are near one another i could sell it to you directly. let me know
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:15 am
Your best bet is to find someone like yourself, with a strange appreciation for those vehicles, but who wants to try to fix it.

Short of that, it is worth as much as the parts will bring seperately, and then what it will crush for($$ per ton)

I sent you the link in Boston knowing that you were NE. They might have an interest, or point you to someone who does.

I live among the cows and wheat in the middle, thousands of miles away. Locally that van would maybe bring $300-400. (I would offer to buy it for $100 plus a tow, were this scenario to present itself locally, just for reference.)

Good rule of thumb: It is worth the most to the guy who NEEDS / WANTS it. To the rest of us, it is an old bucket with a bad motor.
0 Replies

vwblues

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 10:56 pm
hey man,

just wanted to let you know. i finally got my van down to my usual mechanic and he says it will cost about $1500 to fix. not sure how permanent of a solution this will be and am wondering if it is worth it for me to have it fixed? personally i do believe this guy knows my vechile and what he is doing. i guess it wasnt as bad as originially expected. either way, i will recently bought a 2001 9-3 Saab and most likely will be getting my van fixed during the winter and just not run it during cold winter. any suggestions on prepation for storage during the winter months? and, yes (obviously) i live in the NE, Upsttate NY to be exact.

as always thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing from you.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 11:07 pm
You have a strange taste in vehicles, but so do I. Laughing

As long as your anti-freeze is up to snuff, Leave it wherever.
0 Replies