Complete Crash XP

tycoon

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 06:26 am
My home computer with Windows Home Addition XP has crashed for the third time now. In the previous crash and burns, I have simply uninstalled and reinstalled the software. But what a loss, not to mention all the hassle of downloading the Service Pack, anti-virus software, etc.

Is there a way to recover without resorting to starting with a blank slate.

The message is always the same. When starting up, this appears:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

Of course when I attempt this fix I know nothing about what I'm doing. I've also tried the F8 trick to try to start up in Safe Mode, but it doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 848 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 05:47 pm
Apparently it's a corruption in the registry. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
0 Replies

peterset

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 08:54 pm
why it's chinese
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:45 pm
If you start your computer with your XP disk in it will eventually give you the option to install or repair your current installation. Just have it do the repair.
0 Replies

bigredsshop

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 11:11 pm
Next time your copy of window XP is free and clear of any nonsense that you are uncomfortable with and you want to recover what you lost you can download the entire xp program and the software that came with the computer through the recovery disk feature that windows XP has in itself.
You can make your own set of recovery disks using your own computer providing you have dvd - cd writer.
Now you can recover all the main programs that the computer came with.
After installing this will bring back the computers functionality to the factory state. All updates and software after this you will have to install.
Good luck and If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 12:56 pm
Thanks everyone for the information. I ended up losing everything and having to reinstall XP. I believe the disc containing XP has an innate flaw and will crash once again without warning.
0 Replies

bigredsshop

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 01:11 pm
You can call the manufacturer of the Pc and they will more than likely send you a new recovery disk for $20.00 US currency. I hope that this info has been useful. Idea
0 Replies