Colloquial Legal Phrase

CDobyns

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 08:32 am
I was looking for a phrase that I recall seeing, that describes a set of circumstances or conditions where an existing law prescribes a requirement or penalty that represents either a logical inconsistency or which violates some other generally-accept tenet or standard of society.

I remember it to be something like, "on certains occasions the law is just wrong", or something like that. Can anyone shed any light on the exact quote?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,005 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 12:00 pm
In the British legal profession, one among many sayings is "Hard cases make bad law".

We don't know which legal system you are talking about, since you either forgot or decided not to specify where you are from. This usually means that the person is American.
0 Replies

CDobyns

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 06:51 pm
Yes, this is an American legal system reference posting.

And no, I don't think the proposed phrase is the one that I was thinking of.

Something along the lines of the phrase I mentioned is where I think this question will ultimately be answered.

Thanks
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 02:03 am
The phrase "Sometimes the law is wrong" has a certain currency these days.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&q=%22sometimes+the+law+is+wrong%22&btnG=Search
0 Replies

CDobyns

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 08:23 am
I'm virtually certain that this is the phrase that I was thinking of. I guess I was closer than I thought. Now, if I can just go back to work and convince our general counsel to embrace that mantra on something that they've advised us on. I suspect that isn't going to happen though . . . (Ugh).

Thanks
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 09:23 am
There's always Mr. Bumble's famous remark in Oliver Twist
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 05:52 pm
Ah, that's the phrase I was looking for (didn't want to post as I didn't think I had it right). Thanks for remembering it correctly.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 06:09 pm
Legalisma Bewttocks est.--F. Gump
0 Replies