1985 VW Vanagon pulley is shot

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 06:00 pm
Anyone know VW's? I fried the bearing on the pulley that the alternator fanbelt goes around. How do I remove it and replace it? I am forever grateful in advance. Randy B.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,227 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 02:36 pm
Are you talking about an Idler pulley? (seperate from the alternator itself)
What motor is in your bus?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 05:46 pm
I took a peek, and there is no idler. I need to know which pulley to give you any type of help.
0 Replies

RandyB33

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:33 pm
Vanagon pulley and it's fried bearing
Hey Rockhead- I have a fan belt that goes around the alternator, around the crankshaft pulley, and then around a third pulley that fried and all the water drained out of. I don't know what they call it. Any help?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:18 pm
The Water Pump.
Don't drive it this way.
0 Replies

RandyB33

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 08:15 pm
VW Vanagon waterpump
Anyone familiar with removing and installing a waterpump on a VW Vanagon (1985). I need to do it quick before my next chemotherapy session and don't have funds for a mechanic. Any advice would be appreciated.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 10:37 pm
It's pretty straightforward. I would suggest finding your most mechanical friend, and buying a $20 Chilton (or comparable) manual. I will monitor closely, but this is not a terribly difficult job.
0 Replies

thefunk333

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 10:59 pm
I'm in the middle of replacing a water pump as we speak. I have removed all of the bolts on the pump and metal coolant pipes, loosened/removed hoses and now I can't get the pump to come out. How do I remove the crankshaft pulley? also, do I need to remove the a/c compressor in order to get the pump out? Any help is greatly appreciated. FUNK
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 11:04 pm
I will look tomorrow, I am no good at home.
0 Replies

thefunk333

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 01:23 am
digging deeper into vanagon water pump replacement
I have gone a bit further now and I think I can get away without removing the crankshaft pulley. I removed the alternator and power steering pump so that the coolant pipes can slide out of the way while staying behind the pulley. It now looks like it might be easier to get the H2O pump out if I remove the a/c compressor. The little hose that goes from the thermostat housing to the engine block is pretty much melted to the pipes so I can't get the pump and housing to break free...am I getting carried away here? By the way, my van is an 85 wolfsburg with the 1.9 wasserboxer w/ a/c. I'm done for the night, time to give up until tomorrow. Thanks for your time. FUNK
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 02:13 pm
Sorry, I woke up with no memory. Embarrassed

Yes, you need to remove the A/C compresor. It makes it a lot easier for access.
0 Replies