Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 12:58 pm
after we are done making all those desserts and treats from Halloween, are you looking forward to the next Holiday on the list? THANKSGIVING! What are your plans for this feast...host chef or a guest eater?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,130 • Replies: 19
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 11:45 pm
As we do not celebrate Thanksgiving here, in Blighty...

The next foodie-fest will be Christmas.

I will be doing the cooking, as usual this year. For the whole family and the extensions. Traditional fayre:

Turkey
Sage, onion, sausagemeat stuffing
Chppolatas wrapped in bacon
Roast potatoes
Carrots
Sprouts
Bread sauce
Cranberry sauce

Then Christmas or sticky toffee pudding for 'afters' (as we call it). Followed by a cheese board.

x
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 06:23 pm
The problem with not cooking is that you get no leftovers... I'll be both a guest and a cook. There's a potluck at work the friday before and I'll cook something for that (stuffed mushroom caps, maybe). Then on the holiday proper I'll be a guest. I'll probably also get a small turkey and cook that just for the chance to nibble on leftovers for a week or so! (A lot will get frozen, too.)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 08:19 pm
Well, it's still pretty much up in the air but I was just talking about it yesterday. My husband's cousin used to do it up big but last year, she and her family went out to dinner and my husband and the step kids and I had a small Thanksgiving dinner here.
This year, I think we'll do that again but I may invite a few more people. We'll see how it goes but I'm looking forward to it.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:59 am
Since my husband is gone, and Thanksgiving is not really celebrated in Germany, I suppose I will skip that one.

I have had enough for a while, anyway.
Not sure why it is always me having all the parties, anyway.

I am the only one with a child, my husband gone (so temporarily single parent), I work like everybody else and on top of it I am head of the instructor team in our club.

I think it became a habit.
I thought, if I start the circle off, others will pick up on it.
But everybody always ends up at our place with lots of preparation for me and dirty dishes afterwards!

I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!!

[size=7]sorry, that needed out[/size]
0 Replies

foodGobbler

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:01 pm
Smaller turkeys are easy enough to manage...we usually have about 15 eaters as well. I am looking forward to Thanksgiving since we will be trying a new recipe. I'm not sure if you have Safeway in your area, it's a grocery store. They came out with a recipe called the "2-hour turkey". Have you heard about this?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 02:16 pm
Never heard of it. What's the deal?
0 Replies

foodGobbler

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 03:18 pm
The recipe for this unbelievable 2-hour recipe can be found at:

http://turkey.safeway.com/recipes.cfm

The key step is cooking the turkey at a higher temperature (475). Also, your turkey would not be stuffed inside, rather, leaving the cavity open so that it can cook from inside out.

I like that site because they have a lot of recipe ideas for that left over turkey as well. I really want to try the turkey enchiladas. You have to check these recipes out if you are tired of the same old turkey sandwiches with that left over turkey meat...:-p
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 03:34 pm
We planned on doing a turkey breast but Diane is going to be on a very restrictive diet. No idea at the moment what she will be able to eat.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 03:43 pm
eoe wrote:
Well, it's still pretty much up in the air but I was just talking about it yesterday. My husband's cousin used to do it up big but last year, she and her family went out to dinner and my husband and the step kids and I had a small Thanksgiving dinner here.
This year, I think we'll do that again but I may invite a few more people. We'll see how it goes but I'm looking forward to it.

Well, cuz decided to do it at her house again, as had been the tradition for so many years, so, I'm on lemon meringue pie duty.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 03:54 pm
Bohne, I hope your husband is not in Iraq.

We're invited for Thanksgiving, but I have had my share of so là là Thanksgiving dinners, so I really prefer to cook at home, probably goose
or duck, as I'm not a fan of turkeymeat. I am also considering venison,
if I can get it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 04:00 pm
I'm with you CJ. I like to have a little sumthin-sumthin to munch on at home, too. I'll probably do a ham.
0 Replies

foodGobbler

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 12:24 pm
dyslexia wrote:
We planned on doing a turkey breast but Diane is going to be on a very restrictive diet. No idea at the moment what she will be able to eat.

What restrictions does she have, high fat foods or just meat in general?

I think a lot of people are looking for new tastes at Thanksgiving, thats why all these fried, smoked, and high heat recipes are more popular. It's nice to change it up sometimes.

CJ and Eoe, you both are starting a revolution against turkeys on Thanksgiving, huh? LOL! ...We actually may be making turkey's and hams...not sure yet.
0 Replies

foodGobbler

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:51 am
This is extciting, only less than 2 days left! Are you all prepared for the big T-day feast? Thanks to using the planning guide, I think we have bought everything needed and will not have to make any last minute grocery shopping on T-day morning!

Are you pretty prepared, hopefully not stressing out!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 02:07 pm
Yep! I've got everything. Very Happy
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 02:13 pm
I've got the goose (the happy, organic fed and free range kind) so far,
everything else I'll buy later on today. I guess the cranberry sauce is the only thing that will remind us of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Oh, and the pecan pie, I love it!

foodGobbler, I just don't like the taste of turkey, so I always opt for
something else.

eoe, what are you having? Ham?
0 Replies

foodGobbler

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 02:30 pm
How can you not like turkey! I've never tried goose. Is it juicy? As long as your eating good, then that's all that matters. And...when I say "good" I don't mean fat-free / healthy! I mean stomach happy good. :-)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 03:35 pm
Yes, the organic feed, free range geese are not fat, but I also prepare
it in a way that all the rest of the fat is drained properly (I poke it all over
with a fork and fill it with apples to absorb the fat). The taste is exquisite, very juicy, flavorful, dark meat.

I grew up with eating geese, duck and rabbit instead of turkey.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 04:08 pm
I'm doing a ham, turnip greens, yams, potato salad, rolls and cranberry sauce. Not a traditional Thanksgiving meal at all but we're invited out and there will be turkey and all the fixins there so this is my alternate.

I agree about the different poultry. I've never attempted a goose or a duck. I'm not very good with turkey. Always overcook it. But my mother could prepare a duck that would just turn to butter in your mouth.
0 Replies

foodGobbler

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:58 pm
Thanksgiving was great...the 2-hour turkey was surprisingly juicy and the skin was a perfect color. 12lb'er took a little less than 2 hours. Believe it or not, we went thru 2 turkeys and 2 hams with very little left overs!

Hope everyone's T-day was great as well. :-)
0 Replies