Paddle shifting

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 01:59 pm
Well just got an 07 Vette w/paddles and just really trying to figure it out. I noticed and felt a bit of a lag when shifting and I''m not sure if it's me still trying to learn the process or is that the way it should be.

When shifting how much do I need to ease off the gas if at all. Now I'm wondering if that's my problem.

Also as you know the paddles somewhat small and they offer a larger aftermarket size as the lambos and ferrari with the up shift on the right and down on the left, what do you think about that ?

Does that make things easier ? Any advice on HOW TO use the paddle to the best and switching out the paddles.

Thanx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 927 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 08:26 am
You buy it from VW? Ever think about bringing it back to the dealer for a tutorial. Just a hunch, but they may know how to drive their cars.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 03:29 pm
The Corvette will shift just fine at full throttle. (no need to let up)
You might try it at 1/2 throttle or so first, it will shift rather firmly.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 03:55 pm
Yes, and assuming it's just an automatic transmission with the novelty "shifter," you don't have to let up on the gas.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 04:00 pm
I prefer the smaller paddles, as once you are used to them, finding them is not an issue. I don't like a lot of clutter in the steering wheel area to interfere with driving.

Would suggest finding someone else with the aftermarket bigger paddles on their vehicle to see if you really like them before popping for them.

As to using them, practice makes perfect.
0 Replies

picture man

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:39 pm
Shifting/ new paddles
Rockhead wrote:
I prefer the smaller paddles, as once you are used to them, finding them is not an issue. I don't like a lot of clutter in the steering wheel area to interfere with driving.

Would suggest finding someone else with the aftermarket bigger paddles on their vehicle to see if you really like them before popping for them.

As to using them, practice makes perfect.

Well been using the paddles at full and half throdle and seems to be working great. The one thing I've noticed there is a couple second lag between gears, but from what I hear that is normal. ( Do the Ferrari's have the same lag? ) I doubt it,just courious.

Is there any tuning that can be done for that lag, Ie: Like the Preditor programer that alot of these companies have ?

Now as far as the shiftrs are concerned the ones I''m talking about are the ones from West Coast corvettes which use the stock paddles, but modified them so the right side shifts up and the left side down which seems more convienant and easier to do.

The only reason I guess I'm leaning towards the paddles are, they have been times where I will hit the down shift twice instead of hitting the + to shift up, but I guess thats me not thinking.

Anyway thanks for the info, andI guess I just have to look more into it.

Thanx picture man
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:44 pm
Re: Shifting/ new paddles
picture man wrote:

( Do the Ferrari's have the same lag? ) I doubt it,just courious.

No, but the sticker is MUCH taller.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 12:44 am
The problem is you have a car that is designed for enthusiasts but available to anyone. GM always designs them for the "available to anyone" buyer. As a former engineer for GM, you can trust me on that one. Their stuff is so dumbed-down for the end user that it takes most of the joy out of things. Your paddle shifter is simply an electronic version of the floor shifter on an automatic. It does nothing more than what you would do by actively selecting positions on the floor shifter. It is controlled by a computer so that you can't screw up. It will shift up for you if you hit redline. It will prevent downshifting if its too fast. It delays shifts as a function of keeping them "soft" so the 65 year old customer doesn't complain about hard shifts when he takes it out for his sunday drive at 45 mph with the "old lady."

Same thing happened with the Allison transmission behind the duramax. They took one of the worlds greatest medium duty transmissions that is capable of 500,000-mile service intervals in 40,000 lb GVW trucks and managed to neuter it to the point where it struggles to make 200,000 miles in a fluffy soccer-mom pickup that never sees more than a few hundred pounds in the bed.
0 Replies

picture man

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:20 pm
Shifting and air-intakes
Curtis73,

Thanks for the info, to you too. Now I want to get opinions on cold air intakes compared to the duel cone intakes. Is there a big difference ?

Not sure which way to go, I just want to p/u a bit more H.P. and the engine to breathe better.

Now what about the Predator programmer is that a pretty good tuner to peek things up ?

Thanks for any input.

Pic man
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 02:45 pm
Re: Shifting/ new paddles
picture man wrote:
( Do the Ferrari's have the same lag? ) I doubt it,just courious.

Your car is an automatic. The Ferrari is a true manual transmission with F1 style shifters. The only thing in common the two cars have is that there are paddles on the steering wheels.
0 Replies