Questions about daylight savings time

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 11:10 am
First of all, I thought it was started in America during WW II for some reason having to do with getting more daylight hours with which to work or produce or something. If that's the case, then why does Canada have daylight savings time too?

Also, we should be out of DST this weekend, but now it's next weekend that we set the clocks back. Why? What the hell do we need this for? I have a feeling this waiting one more week has nothing to do with saving daylight and instead has something to do with some goddammed corporation making more money somehow. I don't know how, but I bet that's why we still do this idiocy every year.

So what's the story?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,581 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 11:42 am
Falling back in time this weekend might complicate Halloween Parades and Trick or Treat.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 11:46 am
http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

Everything that you never wanted to know about daylight SAVING (not savings) time!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 12:07 pm
I've been saving daylight in jars, I now have a caseful. I will start opening the jars in march but just in the garden.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 12:34 pm
Re: Questions about daylight savings time
kickycan wrote:

So what's the story?

Daylight saving time was officially frst introduced in Germany and Austria, on April 30, 1916, and in the same year in Ireland.

While it was called "Summer Time" in in the two German speaking countries, it was called "Daylight Saving Time" in Ireland.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 12:37 pm
Saskatchewan has long bucked the trend and continues to do so with a few geographic exceptions, it operates year-round on Central Standard Time.

I hate DST!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 01:37 pm
if memory serves me right (? :wink: ) , germany actually had DOUBLE DST in the last years of the war .
there were some stories earlier this year that both the U.S. and canada might consider such a change - glad it didn't happen .
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 01:57 pm
hamburger wrote:
if memory serves me right (? :wink: ) , germany actually had DOUBLE DST in the last years of the war .

In the three West Zones we got Daylight Saving Tim ('Summer Time') while in Berlin and the Sovjet Zone they had Moscow Time = two hours difference.

To make the time chaos worse, between 1947 and 1949 the so-called 'Midsummer Time' ("Hochsommerzeit") was introduced (between May 11 and June 29), adding the other hour, hamburger remembers.

:wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 01:58 pm
I LOVE daylight savings time, but then I would....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 02:03 pm
We always were in sync with the Europeans with DST, but Bush
thought we would need more light, and changed it to first week in March
and first week November. Of course, he never considered the impact
this might have on all the electronically controlled clocks, but would
we expect anything else from Bush?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 02:24 pm
and canada followed right along !
except for SASKATCHEWAN - but with a name like that :wink: , citizens have enough trouble spelling the name of their province , you couldn't ask the citizens to change their clocks too !
the good thing is that they have a NEW DEMOCRATIC GOVERNMENT !!!
(it's the province where premier TOMMY DOUGLAS established universal healthcare - which eventually spread across canada - with the help of PROGRESSIVE-CONSERVATIVE prime minister JOHN DIEFENBAKER !)
hbg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 03:41 am
Ole Ben Franklin suggested it as a way to save candles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time#_note-Franklin

According to that article (all the way up at the top), it also helps to cut traffic fatalities (although not by much).
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 03:52 am
And as always we Aussies are ahead of the pack, having sprung forward last Sunday.

Of course one dill forgot to change the clock in his car and spent an hour extra working in the paddock today.

DOH!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 04:25 am
dadpad wrote:
And as always we Aussies are ahead of the pack, having sprung forward last Sunday.

Okay: less than 12 hours before we Europeans did it .... but since we do it at night as well, and yours is earlier ... :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 10:34 am
Quote:
Ole Ben Franklin suggested it as a way to save candles:

that's why the U.S. and canada will be staying on DST for an extra week - we are more environmentally conscious than those aussies and europeans :wink:
FEWER CANDLES USED = LESS POLLUTION :wink: !
hbg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:27 am
The parts of Indiana that don't want to be Chicago refuse to believe in it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 04:05 pm
Im not gonna look it up but Ive always been amazed at Newfoundland. They are always one half hour ahead of Atlantic Time.
Im sure
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 04:07 pm
farmerman wrote:
Im not gonna look it up but Ive always been amazed at Newfoundland. They are always one half hour ahead of Atlantic Time.
Im sure

You are quite right
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 04:11 pm
Quote:
The Newfoundland Time Zone (NT) is a geographic region that keeps time by subtracting 3½ hours from Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), resulting in UTC-3:30, or 2½ hours during Daylight Saving Time. The clock time in this zone is based on the mean solar time of the 52nd degree and 30 arcminute meridian west of the Greenwich Observatory.

NT is used only in Canada, and there only by the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Officially, the entire province is in the Newfoundland Time Zone by legislation.[1] In practice, however, it is only observed on the island of Newfoundland, its offshore islands, and southeastern Labrador communities south of Black Tickle. The rest of Labrador, from Cartwright north and west, observes Atlantic Standard Time. Southeastern Labrador prefers Newfoundland Time in part to synchronize with the schedule of radio broadcasts from Newfoundland.

This unique time zone exists because of the location of the island and the fact that it was a separate dominion when the time zones were established. The island of Newfoundland lies squarely in the eastern half of the Atlantic Standard Time Zone, exactly three and a half hours from Greenwich and, as a separate dominion, it had the ability to adopt its own timezone. However the entire province lies west of the standard meridian for a half-hour time zone, 52.5 degrees west longitude. In 1963, the Newfoundland government attempted to bring the province into conformity with the other Atlantic provinces, but withdrew in the face of stiff public opposition. [2]

Daylight Saving Time is observed throughout the province. In 1988 the provincial government experimented with Double Daylight Saving Time, moving clocks ahead two hours during Daylight Saving Time instead of just one. This move proved unpopular in the fall when children started going to school in the dark. In 2006, the province enacted an extension to Daylight Saving Time,[3] starting in 2007, following the lead of the United States and other Canadian provinces.

This unusual time zone puts the island of Newfoundland half an hour ahead of the rest of North America (with the exception of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, which uses UTC-3 as standard time). Because of this, it will hit milestones of time before (almost) any other part of the continent, a quirk that draws attention to Newfoundland. For instance the Newfoundland release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was publicized across Canada.

OK SO I LOOKED IT UP< SUE ME.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 04:16 pm
Pacific Standard Time (Hawaii) never changes. Same Same year around.
When mainland goes on Daylight Savings Time, there is a 7 hour time difference instead of 6.

I don't know if this goes for American Samoa and Guam which are on the Pacific Rim.
0 Replies