Muscular Diversity of Salmon

Noddy24

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 08:35 am
About a year ago I grew weary of swallowing fish oil capsules and opted for salmon for breakfast 4-5 times a week.

Every six weeks or so I get a wholesale restaurant pack of slabs of salmon which I portion and freeze.

I've learned that I can tell wild salmon from farmed salmon by whether or not the dye comes out when cooking.

Thus far I've found that a 3-4 oz. chunk of salmon takes about three minutes to poach in its own juice in the microwave. This last batch cooks to mush in three minutes. Two minutes is all that is necessary.

My restaurant slabs don't come with "point of origin" marked. Could it be that Atlantic Salmon take more or less time to cook than Pacific Salmon?
I've established that there is not necessarily a difference in cooking times between wild salmon and farmed salmon.

This two-minute consignment of fish is wild.

Explanations, anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,285 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 08:44 am
I've never done it the microwave, and we get usually only Atlantic salmon (besides [cheaper] frozen Pacific wild salmon.

However, there are different salmons, we normally get the salmo salar ("Atlantic salmon").
And I do notice those differences when cooking the oncorhynchus, which is the "Pacific salmon".
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:10 am
Hm, I only can differenciate them by taste. Our Pacific salmon seems
more flavorful and compact, thus taking longer to cook. So my guess
would be that you're mush is Atlantic salmon, Noddy.

Noddy, can't you specify at the wholsaler what kind you want?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:12 am
Walter--

Thanks for the information.

I like the microwave for poaching single portions of fish. Mr. Noddy would rather have canned salmon than fresh and take fish oil capsules than have either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:32 am
When I used to live in 'north north', we would sometimes get very fresh wild pacific salmon, which was so good it's hard to describe. Much more texture in the flesh of the fish, much more delicious flavor.

Other times, the texture was less obviously "better", but the flavor was still rich.

I've only bought atlantic salmon here in New Mexico...
a rather bizarre thing to do, in concept, but I love salmon. It's got a less defined texture and less flavor, to me -- but I haven't sprung for wild atlantic salmon here (re the price, if and when I've seen it very rarely make the trek to Whole Foods)... can't remember if I have seen it. Presumably that is better tasting.

Anyone remember my recipe on a2k for lox and basil and ginger and lime with farfalle with butter? Well, through that recipe, made up by my ex husband and a real keeper, I learned you can heat lox (doh!) Trouble is, lox is expensive too, and on top of it, I've found none I like here... all mush to me, whereas the lox from pacific northwest was great.

I sometimes buy smoked salmon (the dry kind) - but I prefer that as an evening snack with, say, crackers and a single malt on ice (another thing I don't buy anymore, speaking of breaking the bank).

I did buy some frozen orange roughy from Albertson's to try, and liked it.
I could see eating that for breakfast. One package might have been six dollars, but I can see getting at least three meals for myself out of it, though when I tried it I used it for dinner and got two meals out of the package.

Frozen fish is a whole new thing for me, but so is New Mexico. I think there is something to be said for quick frozen and kept frozen over what they sell here as fresh, which is in general frozen and present as fresh when thawed. <Weeps for Santa Monica Seafood...>

I looked up some tuna mousse recipes yesterday, and there was one that was miscalled mousse, not having gelatin, etc. I'll find it and add it here in case it interests anyone.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:46 am
C.J.--

The supermarket deals with the wholesaler. My order specifies "Pacific" and "wild" but it is hard to evaluate a piece of fish without cooking and tasting the fish.

Osso--

Thanks for the musings.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 11:15 am
Noddy, could you buy fresh Pacific salmon, cook it yourself and portion
it off into several sizes and freeze it yourself? It's a bit more work,
but if it were me, I'd feel safer, as you know what kind of salmon you're
actually getting.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 12:55 pm
Calamity Jane--

The supermarket and I are in the Poconos and the wholesale fishmonger is in NYC.

Part of the problem lies in the politics of the supermarket fish department. I've placed orders in July, September and October with three different "managers".

The fish comes fresh. I cut the fillets into 3-4 ounce portions and freeze them. Next shipment I think I'm going to divert the thin portions of the fillets into some sort of soup or fishy stew.

Meanwhile, Iffy wakes up early on fish mornings, just in case I might feed the skin to someone else. Iffy likes salmon skin. Undoubtedly she was a pre-statehood Oregon dog when Lewis & Clark crossed the continent.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 12:58 pm
Here's that tuna "mousse" -

Tuna Mousse: Spuma di Tonno
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello
Show: Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello
Episode: Antipasti Cocktails for a Crowd

1 can (7 ounces or 200 grams) imported olive oil-packed tuna, drained
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon heavy cream
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Sea salt, preferably gray salt, and freshly ground black pepper
Put the tuna in a food processor and pulse to break up the fish. With the machine running, add the butter, cream, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce and blend until smooth. Then stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the processor bowl. Add the lemon juice and pulse again. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper and blend again. Check the seasoning.
Serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days. If refrigerated, return the spuma to room temperature before serving.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 01:04 pm
Osso--

Sounds delicious.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 01:08 pm
A little rich - I'd cut the butter in half and the cream into 1/2 and 1/2 - for myself, as I watch the fats..

Or, try the recipe with olive oil instead..
0 Replies