DaVinci's "The Last Supper" on the Net..........In high def!

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 07:37 am
Quote:
Can't get to Milan to see Leonardo Da Vinci's masterpiece "The Last Supper?" As of Saturday, all you need is an Internet connection. Officials put online an image of the "Last Supper" at 16 billion pixels - 1,600 times stronger than the images taken with the typical 10 million pixel digital camera.

The high resolution will allow experts to examine details of the 15th century wall painting that they otherwise could not - including traces of drawings Leonardo put down before painting.

Link to article about The Last Supper

I think that there still might be some glitches on the website. Tried three times, got it once. When I attempted to zoom in, I could not get it. I would assume that the problem will be straightened out soon. When it is, it will be a boon to art historians.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 706 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 07:52 am
From yesterday's BBC-report
Quote:
You can see how Leonardo made the cups transparent, something you can't ordinarily see," he said. "You can also note the state of degradation the painting is in."

That degradation has been the subject of controversy this week.

An Italian newspaper, Corriere della Sera, reported that a sophisticated monitoring and filtration system introduced during a restoration of the chapel in the late 1990s was not preventing particles or substances that could damage the work being brought in by visitors.

The graphics from the above quoted Corriere della Sere (26.10.07, page 20):

http://i20.tinypic.com/bg7ciq.jpg
http://i23.tinypic.com/n5lmvp.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 07:54 am
The link to the Last Supper worked really fine ....until millions Americans noticed it :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 07:59 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The link to the Last Supper worked really fine ....until millions Americans noticed it :wink:

Walter- Leave it to us Yanks to screw up a good thing! Laughing
0 Replies