2 tricky riddles, can you solve them?

LiTh07

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 09:58 pm
Hey guys,

heres two riddles I heard the other day and i need some help with the answers.

Riddle 1)

Once there was a ship sailing in the ocean and came up to 3 different islands. The capitain's map said that two of the islands were filled with cannibals, and one of the islands had nice noblemen on it.

So the capitain sails up to the coast of the first island and asks wether the people on the island are cannibals or noblemen. However, the waves were to loud and the capitain couldnt hear the answers of the men on shore.

Next, the capitain sails up to the coast of the 2nd island and asks the men on the land wether they are cannibals or noblemen. The men replied, "The first island is filled with noblemen, and we are noblemen too."

Finally, the capitain sails to the coast of the 3rd island and asks the same question. The men on the shore say, "The first two islands are filled with cannibals, and we are noblemen"

~~~~~Which island should the ship land on so they do not meet cannibals?~~~~~

=============================================

Riddle 2)

There are two different doors. One door leads to life, and one leads to death. In front of each door is a gaurd. These gaurds DONT know each other. One gaurd always tells the truth, and one gaurd always tells lies.

~~~If you are only able to ask ONE question to both of the gaurds, what should you ask in order to find out which door is which?~~~

There they are guys, does anyone know the answers to either of these?

Thanks in advanced!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,902 • Replies: 7
No top replies

markr

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 12:49 am
ISLANDS
Assuming cannibals always lie and noblemen always tell the truth...

Since only one island has noblemen, the men on the second island lied.
Therefore, neither of the first two islands contains noblemen.

GUARDS
Which door would another person as truthful as yourself say leads to life?

You only need to ask this of one guard. Take the door (s)he indicates.
0 Replies

LiTh07

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 12:10 pm
markr wrote:
ISLANDS
Assuming cannibals always lie and noblemen always tell the truth...

Since only one island has noblemen, the men on the second island lied.
Therefore, neither of the first two islands contains noblemen.

GUARDS
Which door would another person as truthful as yourself say leads to life?

You only need to ask this of one guard. Take the door (s)he indicates.

ohhh, i think i see what you are talking about. Could you explain in more detail the logic behind it?
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 01:17 pm
If I asked the other guard if this road leads to life what would he say?'….Then take the opposite.

For example; if the person you ask is the truth teller, he will give the answer the liar would give, which being a lie; you take the other road.

If the person you ask is it liar - same result!

If you follow the advice carefully, I hope we see you back with more.
0 Replies

LiTh07

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 07:52 pm
Tryagain wrote:
If I asked the other guard if this road leads to life what would he say?'….Then take the opposite.

For example; if the person you ask is the truth teller, he will give the answer the liar would give, which being a lie; you take the other road.

If the person you ask is it liar - same result!

If you follow the advice carefully, I hope we see you back with more.

thanks for the response! However, in this version of the 2 gaurds, the gaurds dont know each other. its as if they dont know each other exist. therefore, you cant ask one what the other would say. So that answer couldnt work. any other ideas?
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:20 pm
To evaluate my proposal for number two, figure out what a liar would say a liar would say and what a truth teller would say a truth teller would say.
0 Replies

freewriter420

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 10:12 am
Islands 2 and 3 are the cannibal islands, because cannibals would tell you they're noblemen so you would dock on their island, a nobleman however would not wish you to dock on his isle for the fact that you are not noble yourself, but he wouldn't lie therefore a nobleman would find a way to sway or confuse you, say.... talking quietly enough to be masked by waves...
0 Replies

freewriter420

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 10:15 am
The guards are yet another simple task.
Walk up to the guard and throw him through the door, if he lives then he'll come back out, if he dies then he wont. Problem solved, and you didn't even have to ask the question.
0 Replies