Lone Star Beer thread

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 09:35 pm
Sigh - - -

The National Beer of Texas

As the only state in the union that was once its own nation... it's only right that Texas have a "national" beer that stands for what we believe in.

Lone Star is proud to be brewed where it always has been... in the Great State of Texas!

Lone Star - The Beer

Lone Star beer uses hops from the Pacific Northwest with grains from the Central and Northern Plains. Combine this with its heritage of being "Born and Brewed in Texas" and it's easy to understand the defining factors in Lone Star's Silver Medal win at the 2006 Great American Beer Festival.

The GABF recognized Lone Star as a high quality American Cream Lager by awarding it with a silver medal. Malted barley and corn extract combine to provide Lone Star with nature's finest ingredients for brewing. Lone Star's ingredients give this beer its full natural flavor. The choicest hops lend complexity and aroma to this beer, and its proprietary mashing regimen creates the perfect balance of alcohol, body, and character
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,976 • Replies: 14
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 09:28 am
Well, I turned seventeen, in 1959. My brother and his running pals decided it was time to take me along, on their Friday night excursions, which occasionally saw us in Boys Town, in Laredo. There was cousin Dean, self described as being "better looking" than me, "and you know it;" Donny, an inlaw to Dean, ugly as a possum, but charming; and a changing roster of lesser pals.

First thing they did was pass me a cold bottle of Lone Star Beer. I sucked on like it was mothers milk. Only thing, if I tried to drink over three, I got sick; or, if I drank some on an empty stomache, then tried to eat, I got sick.

We ran the roads, sometimes took the girls we knew to the park at Nueces River; cruised the Prince's hamburger stand, circling the block, endlessly; and went to a bar, in Clarkwood, where the kids got served, same as the grownups. And, always, the Lone Star.

They mostly moved to other brands, with time (You know - the soda pop beers that are popular). I still drink an average of four or five per month, forty seven years later. There was a cameraderie I felt, in those days. Lone Star, its symbol. Plus, I enjoy it as much today as then.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 09:34 am
Well, there's always the California Republic
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 09:37 am
username wrote:
Well, there's always the California Republic

There's also Republic Pictures, home of shoot 'em up western movies.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 07:23 pm
One running buddy stayed with us for about four months. He even worked with us, about a week. He was a big old boy, name of Jake. His car was the kind of Studebaker, you wonder if it's coming or going, sometimes. It had no reverse and he turned it about by racing down the street, and then fishtailing it. He was all right, but, being older than me, hung exclusively with my brother. One Friday night, we piled into his car, and, before I realized it, we were barreling down the road that I knew would get us to Laredo. We had a few six packs of Lone Star, on ice, and the radio blasting songs like, Crazy Arms, by Ray Price, and, Tupelo County Jail, by Webb Pierce.

The first forty five minutes went really well. When Jake failed to slow, coming through a small town I forgot the name of, however, a car with the blinking red lights got on our tail. He prudently pulled over, and an officer of the law appeared at the window.

"You were going ninety miles and hour," he said.

Two of us were under age. I was seventeen. The cop put the older guys in the slammer, and turned me and another kid loose. "Be here, at ten o'clock in the morning," we were told.

As we walked out to the street, I told the other boy, "This is the first time I've been in trouble with the law."

"Don't let it make you feel pregnant," he observed dryly.

We approached a church and tugged on the door. It was open, and we went in. There, we slept, near the alter, on a deep carpet. Next day, Dean's brother, Alvin, came with the money we needed and our fines were paid.

Mom looked at us, but said nothing, when we finally came home. She knew we were going to live this way, and she had not the stamina to fight over it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 07:36 pm
http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/images/lonestartaxi.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:01 pm
djjd62 wrote:
http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/images/lonestartaxi.jpg

He died happy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:33 pm
After I got to know these so-called running buddies, I didn't really like them. Dean, Donny, and somebody, took to driving down to the T-heads, piers, where homosexuals mingled with the crowds, seeking young men to pick up. They used Donny for bait. After he rode off with the gay, the others followed and then they beat him up. Once, they got distracted, and Donny was left to deal with it on his own. I never knew how that episode ended for him. There were other factors. All I took away from those times was my liking for Lone Star.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 09:46 pm
I never heard a Lone Star Beer jingle. Years ago, most products had a jingle.

Burghermeister Burghermeister
It's so light and golden clear
Burghermeister Burghermeister
It's a truly fine pale beer

What'll ya have
Pabst Blue Ribbon
What'll ya have
Pabst Blue Ribbon
What'll ya have
Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer

You may search the whole world over
Looking for the finest beer
You'll discover Lucky Lager has the flavor you will cheer

From the land of sky blue water
Comes the beer refreshing
Hamms the beer refreshing
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:52 pm
Now this a beer song. Aussie style. Well, sorta. Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH3GH7Pn_eA
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:16 am
I've never made the acquaintance of a Lone star.

That situation must be remedied.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 07:44 pm
The local store has 16 oz. singles for 85 cents, plus ten, makes 95 cents.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 10:11 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Thats remarkably cheap!

375 ml (a touch less than your 16 OZ) stubby is a couple of dollars here.

I see the AUD has almost reached parity with the USD. .9125 Aud = 1.00 USD.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:00 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Correction: 89 cents, 95 cents total.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 05:45 pm
Beer . . . Got to have . . . beer .
0 Replies