Where to Live???

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 02:17 pm
Hi, Im new here Smile

Tough question this and one i know it is imposible for you to answer without me going to the following places first. But its good to get feedback from those that have perhaps lived or visited those places listed below.

I have spent weeks going through rigerious research on where I would like to live for the remainder of my life, of course as i get older i may re-locate to somewhere quieter. I collated the below list through stats and statistic. Although i would like to get your opinions. I will be travelling in the next two years to visit most of these places on holliday for my around the world trip, but I want to reduce it to half, i cant afford to go to them all lol.

I will have no problem imigrating to these countries as I will have a deegree by the time I move and I have plenty of work experience, hence the old age I will be lol. The problem is I would have to live somewhere I could work as a community educator: Youth worker, homeless sector, project worker etc. Somewhere that is also friendly - I know most cities have there problems with this, I lived in London for over 4yrs and hated it.

Any suggesions??? - they are all in order (from each country) in terms of affordability of housing, employment rate and general standard of living. I didn't wan't anywhere too big like Sydney. I have lived in London for many years, that was enough to put me off ever wanting to live in another large city. I don't mind learning a new language, so that's not a problem, although im not too keen on German which is why I have avoided Germany all-to-gether but it snot too harch in Vienna.

I have also taken into consideation - climate change - lol. See I have done tones of research. Thankfully, I will be long dead a swill my kids )not got any yet) by the time any of these places are fully flooded under water.

Perth (Australia)
Adelaide (Australia)

Boston (USA - MA) - I have visited here before and wasn't too keen. The people were not friendly I thought.
Washington DC (USA - DE) - Been told this is a very good place.
Seattle (USA - WA)
Sioux Falls (USA - SD)
Rochester (USA - NY)
Jackson (USA - MS)
Hanover (USA - NH) - TOWN
Columbia/Ellicott City (USA)
Cary (USA - NC)
Overland Park (USA - KS)

Ottawa (Canada) - aparently rated the best place to live in Canada in terms of affordability and employment/income.
Halifax (Canada) - although a dodgy location for the sea level rises - it rates very highly in statistics for everything.
Guelph (Canada)
Toronto (Canada)
Calgary (Canada)
Montreal (Canada)
Vancouver (Canada) - highly, highly expensive to buy property here, costs an average £250,000. - this is the only bad thing I found with vanc.

Paris (France)
Lyon (France)

Vienna (Austria) - Was here last week and really liked the city, the only 2 bad things I found were the people whom I thoiught were stuck up and rude at times and the smoking in the cafe's - but the cafe's were great.

Zurich (Switzerland) - Mostly German language
Geneva (Switzerland) - Mosty French language
Bern (Switzerland) - Mostly German language

Copenhagen (Denmark) - aparently easy for english ppl to learn the language

Brussels (Belgium) - French language mostly spoken.

Luxembourg (Luxembourg) - mostly French language spoken.

Stockholm (Sweden) - aparently easy for english ppl to learn the language

Any help if gratefully appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 954 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 03:21 pm
Uh, a number of your places are bigger than Sydney

Check this for population listings:
http://www.citypopulation.de/World.html

eg Boston, Paris, Toronto, Washington.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 03:43 pm
hingehead wrote:
Uh, a number of your places are bigger than Sydney

Check this for population listings:
http://www.citypopulation.de/World.html

eg Boston, Paris, Toronto, Washington.

Thanks for that, dont think ill be going to Boston or DC then lol
0 Replies

Pepito

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 03:11 pm
Las Vegas is the place. There are plenty of job opportunities here. It is also a cheap place to live by American standards. In fact, many people retire here.
0 Replies

islandgirl

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 03:40 pm
The Caribbean! Each island has it's own distinct culture. Find the one you like and visit the others for short little trips. There are American, British, Dutch and French islands to name a few.
0 Replies