Traveling? Or running away?

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 12:45 pm
I'm kind of going through a lot of hardships in my life right now. My mom is sick, very sick...my brother is a #$%^-up, my dad is stressed out because of my mom and my brother, and I just recently as of last week left my abusive husband and moved temporarily back into my parents house. I know it is normal to want to run away from it all. Some would say that traveling or taking an extended vacation is good for you and others say it's the worst thing you could do. I really want to pack up my things and move the hell away. One thing stands in my way...

Where do I go?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 880 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 12:56 pm
...perhaps try a "meditational retreat".

E.g. http://www.kfa.org/kfa_retreat.php
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 01:02 pm
Given what you have been through, I don't think a meditational retreat would be a good thing, KB.

More thinking would be more suffering.

You need air, sun and fun. Take a vacation in a sunny place, by the beach and not a desert one...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 01:04 pm
after you see an attorney about a legal separation.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 01:13 pm
Francis.

As I understand it, "meditation" is aimed at "cessation of thought" or at least the holding of thought at "arm's length.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 01:14 pm
It's only running away if there are things you need to do and you're avoiding it.

Maybe take a weekend somewhere to get your perspective back, then take care of those difficult things.

And plan your future before you pack your bags for good.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 01:47 pm
Fresco,

I maybe didn't get your point, as meditation comes from latin "meditare" which means "to reflect".

But if you retreat from meditation, then I get your point...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 02:34 pm
I agree that I think some things need to be dealt with before you run away.

I'm also concerned about leaving when your mother is so sick -- your father undoubtedly needs some support, SHE needs some support, and it sounds like she's sick enough that you would want to be available if she takes a turn for the worse.

This isn't anything to base a life philosophy on, but sometimes it can be extremely therapeutic to put the focus elsewhere and help OTHERS. Which is not to say that you would neglect taking care of the things that need to be taken care of -- like seeing a lawyer.
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 03:17 pm
I most certainly am not running away from my mother. I promised my dad that I would stay here until the end of the year. He really needs my help and I wouldn't abandon them. He has asked me not to get a job and he will take care of me finacially. He does however want me to get on with my life, go an party on the weekends but just help out while he is at work so that I can take care of things around the house.

I know there is a lot of things I need to deal with regarding my husband and getting a lawyer. Thank God we didn't have any kids to fight over. I think though, once things blow over, I want to move out of the states or at least out of California. I just don't know where to go.
0 Replies