Here's what women want in a car

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 09:06 am
I drive a 1990 4-door Volvo sedan. My requirements for a new car would be: Front and side air bags, safety roll bars in roof, high gas mileage, hybrid battery-gas engine operation, sun roof, seat connection for harness belts for my two dogs, a trunk large enough to install my electronic lift and my electric scooter. ---BBB

Here's what women want in a car
By SARA KENNEDY
[email protected]

MIAMI --Turns out, women don't suffer gadget envy when it comes to cars.

What they want is practical, functional features, like fold-down backseats and automatic open/close in a hatchback, according to a poll done by LeaseTrader.com, a Florida car-lease transfer company.

The following are the top five features women enjoy in a car, according to the poll.

1. Fold-down back seats for more storage room

2. Built-in cellphone capability (Bluetooth)

3. MP3/iPod connectivity

4. Automatic open/close hatchback

5. GPS technology

A whopping 62 percent of respondents listed fold-down back seats as their No. 1 choice of features, the poll found.

"More storage space means I would have more options with my car," said Melody Fund, a Miami Beach resident, who drives a Volvo sedan.

Also proving the theory that women would rather stop and ask for directions, GPS technology was the top choice for only 13 percent of women surveyed, according to John Sternal, vice president of marketing communications for the Web site.

"Although the results covered a wide variety of car features, it's interesting to note that women want functionality over technology in their cars," said Sergio Stiberman, chief executive officer and founder of LeaseTrader.com.

Conversely, women thought the sunroof is the most overrated feature.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,795 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 11:37 am
I'm tall, so my ideal car would have a lot more leg room for both front and back seat passengers/driver, more head room, tilt and telescopic steering wheel, and multi-directional adjustible bucket seats. Sun roof is a definite must, as well as excellent venting of outside air rather than always needing the a/c or heater. I'd also want automatic on/off headlights that go on/off when daylight dims, or when the wipers are on since that's now law here, and shut off when the engine is turned off.

I don't give a fig about all the electronic gadgetry. I don't use my car as a mobile office or entertainment console. Driving is my uninterrupted quiet time. It is wasteful and silly to get into a car without having the directions to your destination so a GPS system would be useless for me.

When I was in Massachusetts this summer, I got to drive my cousin's car (a Buick) for a few weeks and loved it. It has all the controls for gadgets on the dashboard also located on the steering wheel so you don't need to take your eyes off the road to adjust the temperature or radio stations. She's 6'2" and her car had all the room we tall folks would ever want for comfortable driving.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 11:41 am
my ideal car has a woman in it and my ideal woman has me in her....
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:05 pm
I live in AZ where it's HOT from end of May through end of September. I have a 2003 Saturn Ion quad coupe. (It has four doors but the back doors are smaller and are positioned opposite of the front doors)

1) Sunroof
2) Big enough engine the car does not lag when pushing on the gas pedal with the AC on high
3) Key Remote
4) Auto Headlights
5) Cloth seats (leather gets too hot in the summer)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:25 pm
MagicBlackCat wrote:

2) Big enough engine the car does not lag when pushing on the gas pedal with the AC on high

My Saturn ('99 stationwagon, yeah, glamor car) has that problem, drives me crazy. Need to turn off the AC when I get on the freeway...
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 01:00 pm
sozobe wrote:
MagicBlackCat wrote:

My Saturn ('99 stationwagon, yeah, glamor car) has that problem, drives me crazy. Need to turn off the AC when I get on the freeway...

I went with the variable high speed transmission only found in the Ion 3. I had done my research before I went to the dealership. Told them the exact car, color and features I wanted and didn't budge. They had to bring a car from another lot which took a couple of weeks but I was in no hurry and got exactly what I wanted. Smile I just love those dealer websites.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 08:28 am
They don't suffer gadget envy, but want bluetooth, MP3, and GPS?

A woman obviously wrote that article. Say one thing, mean something completely opposite.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 08:43 am
what's a gadget envy and why should that even be an issue? it's not like gadgets are only exclusively accessible to men... i would want it all, once i get a car. gps, bluetooth, whatever newest technology is available. that's more important to me right now than folding seats - but i am a single gal without family, so priorities would perhaps change with station in life.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 09:05 am
sozobe wrote:
MagicBlackCat wrote:

Had an under-powered car like that with an automatic cut-off for the A/C. Floor the car and the A/C cut out by itself. I was happy with this arrangement until the little switch went out and suddenly I had zero A/C....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 09:08 am
dagmaraka wrote:
what's a gadget envy and why should that even be an issue? it's not like gadgets are only exclusively accessible to men... i would want it all, once i get a car. gps, bluetooth, whatever newest technology is available. that's more important to me right now than folding seats - but i am a single gal without family, so priorities would perhaps change with station in life.

Trust me... folding seats are much more essential than GPS or Bluetooth.

I can get by with a tiny car as long is has folding seats so that I can carry lumber or something in a pinch.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 09:13 am
shovels and crowbars wont fit unless you have fold down seats.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 10:09 am
Lots of of horsepower and a gunsight on the hood. My car can never, ever say "Vulva" or whatever the heck those putzmobiles are.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:45 pm
http://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bloggraphics/bmwlogo.jpg
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 03:30 pm
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1926/pilotgoldemblemhwr9.png

I can haul groceries, gardening dirt, plants, lawn equipment, antique fair items, even furniture in my car. Not only do the seats fold down, they flip up and hug the walls too. Heaven.
0 Replies