Does religion have practical value?

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:38 pm
actually for the first time in a long time i genuinely enjoyed that bit from gunga and found it fascinating.

if he wasn't such an arrogant know it all where science is concerned, we might have more intelligent exchanges from him.

instead, he'll call everyone that believes in evolution an idiot. but i do find egpytian religion a worthwhile study- at least as worthwhile as studying any other fiction.

now, we agree that fiction has practical value, and religion can be just as useful- but- i didn't say that egyptian religion was fictional- i don't claim to know what happens when we die. i'm agnostic about that.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 12:21 pm
I think we have to consider that the true value of religion, positive or negative, is the effect that it has on the individual adherent, after all, religion is totally subjective and any efforts to objectify it must fail because religion deals only with the unknowable, and the intellect can deal only with the knowable.

Religions that objectify religion--present it as literal truth--are functional in pre-technological cultures, ie., those with little education or science and those that are homogenized and isolated from outside influence. The heretic always subverts homogenization but is essential for growth. The problem with literalism is that the youth raised in a science culture as ours find conflict of their literalism with science and must pick between one or the other, and each choice leaves a lot to be desired.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 12:45 pm
i realize that christians didn't invent fundamentalism, but a lot of the criticism of religion is a direct result of them doing so. christianity is an abrahamic religion after all, and far more fundamentalist than judaism is, even when it comes to "interpreting" the old testament.

there are old religions where bulls are literally "god," but we're still uncovering the history of it. regardless, there are some very old religions that are so sophisticated that interpreting them "literally" is simply misinterpreting them.

what ends up happening is the fundamentalists choose a few things to attack in everyone they find it in, shaved beards, sexual liberation, or science- and they create agendas where they can use god as a shield or use god to condone their actions.

is it a worse problem now than it was then? well, i think we know a lot more about torture than people did back then, and we have an ability to wipe out the planet if we choose to. i think it's time we outgrew the confusion between faith in our own madness and faith in god.

faith is great, have the faith that god will forgive you for not stoning all the heretics or destroying all the lands of the infidels. that's a a good use for faith. have faith that given time, you'll understand why everyone isn't exactly like you. have faith that god will reward you, not punish you, for being merciful and generous.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 10:11 pm
A lot of ancient literature tells the same sort of stories. There are several themes which recur everywhere which describe things which are not part of our experience: the most major of these are large-scale catastrophes such as the flood and two or three other similar events you read about in antique literature, and an antique paradigm for the use of the human brain and mind which was totally different from what we experience today.

The later item included systems for communicating with the spirit world such as prophecy and oracles, as well as several other kinds of things including whatever the "witch of Endor" was doing, and including electrostatic devices such as the "ark of the covenant" and the pyramids.

The word "pyramid" is a Greek word, the base part of which is the same "pyr" we see in 'pyrotechnics' and 'pyromaniac'. I.e. "Fire". The pyramids oritginally had smooth facing stones and golden tips which glowed permanently in the stronger antique electrostatic fields and this somehow or other facilitated communication with the spirit world.

Likewise the ark of the covenant was a primitive capacitor, or Leydon bottle, featuring an electric arc between the arms (cherubim) which is what was meant by the passages claiming that God dwells between the arms of the ark, or the story of the one guy touching the thing while it was being transported on a wagon and being instantly killed.

Now, these people were NOT a bunch of stupid rednecks worshiping an electrical spark; the static electricity was being used somehow or other to communicate with the spirit world.

The closest thing there is to these ancient religious practices in our present world is what is called EVP, or Electronic Voice Phenomena such as was shown in the recent film "White Noise". The best info site for that sort of thing is

http://www.aaevp.com

As was the case with the antique practices, static electricity is involved.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 11:53 pm
i've been reading about pyramids a lot lately. i haven't read *anything* like that.

napoleon supposedly met the ghost of alexander the great in the king's chamber. (or was it the queen's chamber? whichever one that stone box is in.) he then was supposedly told how his death would occur. i haven't done any checking on that story. first place i'd look would be snopes, then the skeptic's dictionary, if not wikipedia first.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 07:09 am
Scale of one to ten for movies, "White Noise" does not rise above a four or a five. Nonetheless the special features section of the DVD goes into detail as to methodology and what exactly the people involved in these experiments are doing and THAT justifies the fifteen bucks or whatever for the DVD and you could probably find it between $5 and $10 at WalMart by now.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:59 am
gungasnake wrote:
A lot of ancient literature tells the same sort of stories. There are several themes which recur everywhere which describe things which are not part of our experience: the most major of these are large-scale catastrophes such as the flood and two or three other similar events you read about in antique literature, and an antique paradigm for the use of the human brain and mind which was totally different from what we experience today.

The later item included systems for communicating with the spirit world such as prophecy and oracles, as well as several other kinds of things including whatever the "witch of Endor" was doing, and including electrostatic devices such as the "ark of the covenant" and the pyramids.

The word "pyramid" is a Greek word, the base part of which is the same "pyr" we see in 'pyrotechnics' and 'pyromaniac'. I.e. "Fire". The pyramids oritginally had smooth facing stones and golden tips which glowed permanently in the stronger antique electrostatic fields and this somehow or other facilitated communication with the spirit world.

Likewise the ark of the covenant was a primitive capacitor, or Leydon bottle, featuring an electric arc between the arms (cherubim) which is what was meant by the passages claiming that God dwells between the arms of the ark, or the story of the one guy touching the thing while it was being transported on a wagon and being instantly killed.

Now, these people were NOT a bunch of stupid rednecks worshiping an electrical spark; the static electricity was being used somehow or other to communicate with the spirit world.

The closest thing there is to these ancient religious practices in our present world is what is called EVP, or Electronic Voice Phenomena such as was shown in the recent film "White Noise". The best info site for that sort of thing is

As was the case with the antique practices, static electricity is involved.

wow... this is complete crap. what "antique electrostatic field" are you talking about?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 10:07 am
USAFHokie80 wrote:

wow... this is complete crap. what "antique electrostatic field" are you talking about?

Sorry, you're one swine I'm not casting any more pearls in front of.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 10:38 am
gungasnake wrote:
USAFHokie80 wrote:

Sorry, you're one swine I'm not casting any more pearls in front of.

ah... so because i pointed out the complete failure of your previous assertion, you're not going to make any others for me, huh? i suppose that's smart. wouldn't want your silly little theories to fall apart.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 12:21 pm
The injunction against casting pearls before swine is impossible to obey perfectly, i.e. there's no way to put information in front of people who might could use it without having swine seeing it and oinking at it as well.

But I don't rise to bait. When somebody PROVES he's a swine and then asks for more info to oink at, he can go **** himself.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 10:27 am
i would hardly call anything you've posted as "information." nothing in your past few posts is based in reality. it's all your imagination - much like the people who claim they've been abducted by aliens. so you can keep these pearls as they've obviously fake.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:51 am
Gunga's post seemed interesting at first, but then I snagged onto something that made no sense. Pyramid is our version of a Greek word, but the pyr bit doesn't seem to be the base of words such as pyrotechnic or pyromaniac, partially because pyro is the suffix that comes from the Greek word for fire not pyr.

Online Etymology Dictionary wrote:

pyramid.
1552 (earlier in L. form piramis, 1398), from Fr. pyramide (O.Fr. piramide, 12c.), from L. pyramides, pl. of pyramis "one of the pyramids of Egypt," from Gk. pyramis (pl. pyramides), apparently an alteration of Egyptian pimar "pyramid."

The rest seems like wishful thinking with no real evidence backing it up, liberally laced with pseudo-scientific words.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:58 am
Between religion and an opiate religion takes second place. An opiate only does damage to the user. While religion fowls all it touches.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 12:45 pm
Area down around Dade Counta floriduh, where for whatever reason there was a fairly high concentration of evolutionites, atheists and what not, couple young atheist fellers done stole themselves a pig and the two of em was drivin along with the pig in the back seat when an officer of the law pulled them over for transgressing the local speed limit somewhat.

"What's yer name, son?"

"Rufus Johnson, officer..."

An you?

"Buford Johnson suh..."

What about YOU, officer points his flashlight toward the back seat...

[size=28]OINK!!!!!!![/size]

Police officer let the boys go, but thought to himself:

Quote:

"Man, with all these atheists, evolosers, and pinko communists around here we got some ugly people walkin an drivin around, but that Oink Johnson takes the prize!!!
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 02:11 pm
i wouldn't be surprised if the word pimar came from the word for fire. an upward pointing angle (like the carat symbol on a keyboard) is an ancient pagan symbol for masculinity and fire.

our word for fire might come from the pile or funeral "pyre" shaped vaguely like a pyramid.

also, pyramids and pyres have common symbolism with the axis mundi. the axis mundi holds up the heavens, and the ritualistic point of burning corpses (or other item) is to carry their souls or essesces to heaven.

but that's from a viewpoint of semiology. from an etomological standpoint, you've already shown that "pyramid" likely comes from pimar, but it remains to be seen whether there's an etymological source of the word "fire" from "pyramid." so far you've only shown that "pyramid" doesn't comr from "fire." if they're also unrelated the other way around, then the etymology fails to be a link, but the symbols are still closely associated.

thanks for clarifying, however. i prefer to avoid making false links, you've helped.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 09:23 pm
I mentioned the film "White Noise" above.

This film is fun to watch in the same sense that films about dogfights in Fokkers and Sopwiths are fun to watch but, most of the time, that sort of thing is best watched from a distance. For the vast majority of people, my advice would be watch the film, take a look at

but don't DO it...

In our present reality, NO method of trying to contact the spirit world can be reliable or predictable. ASSUMING you did manage to contact somebody or something on the other side, you'd have no real way of knowing who or what that was or what his/her intentions might be.

The situations in which I'd recommend that anybody actually try to use such techniques would be dire situations such as cases in which somebody takes some vital secret to the grave with them, murder victims in cold cases, or military situations.

The US military by the way is charged with protecting the American homeland and does not have the luxury of worrying about whose science paradigms they might be stepping on in so doing.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 09:29 pm
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060629014618AAveoHH

Quote:

Resolved Question
Show me another »
What does the name pyramid actually mean?
And does the name have anything to do with the purpose?

* 1 year ago

Additional Details

1 year ago
OoOOooh, sorry all wrong. The word pyramid comes from the prefix pyr meaning "fire" and mid meaning "middle" which combine to make "fire in the middle."

The Great Pyramid, fashioned with a gold capstone, would call down that lightning from the sky and make the green electric fire, or St. Elmo's, in the center. You guys were close, though.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 01:36 am
Quote:
French pyramide ← Old French piramide ← Latin pyramis ← Greek πυραμίς, possibly from a corruption of an Ancient Egyptian phrase or expression (a tentative suggestion: pri-n-mr, "go to the pyramid?", maybe a question asked of ancient Greek tourists), OR from Ancient Egyptian Pir E Mit, "Division of Ten" or "Division of Number" or "Division of Perfection".

The Ancient Egyptian word for pyramid is mr.

Quote:
Translations
ancient construction (1)

* Bosnian: piramida f.
* Danish: pyramide c.
* Dutch: pyramide f.
* Esperanto: piramido
* Finnish: pyramidi
* French: pyramide f.
* German: Pyramide f.
* Greek: πυραμίς (piraˈmis) f., πυραμίδα (piraˈmiða) f.
* Hebrew: פירמידה (he) (piramída) f.

- http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Pyramid

Quote:
Fire in the Middle (1978)

It is likely that few now remember the fad in the late 1970s which touted the powers of pyramidal shapes with proportions mimicking those of the Great Pyramid at Giza. Such constructions were thought to promote long life, restore sharpness in razor blades, and act as a panacea for any ailment. This documentary, apparently designed to sell pyramid-power products, prefigures the later trend of television "infomercials" which were created with a similar intent. The majority of the film is devoted to interviews, recaps of history, and various sorts of investigations. Only towards the end does it become more sales-oriented. Among those appearing are some notables from the Stanford Research Institute and a gaggle of representatives of various cults and groups from California. ~ Clarke Fountain, All Movie Guide

- http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/160744/Fire-in-the-Middle/overview

Quote:
Albert,
AFAIK the Greek word puramis (puramiV) designated a conical, pointed bread.
A situation similar to obelisk, from obeliskoV, "roasting spit".

JD

Quote:
Albert,
I provided the parallel example of obeliskos, an example of Greek mockery, so maybe pyramis was a similar case.
Could you elaborate on your translation of the Greek word as "fire in the middle" ? pur, "fire", is obvious, but -amiV ?

JD

Janine (66.26.43.93)

JD:
Could not the observation,"Fire in the middle", have come from a centered gold or metal pyramidion glinting in the sun?

Albert (62.194.202.5)

Maybe. It seems that in early times the pyramid was covered with polished stones. The thing must have been a 'blazing sun' in the desert then.
This could also be the 'fire' in the middle of the desert (well, near the nile..). Or the top was glinting...

jd degreef (80.236.134.227)

Albert,
I'd still prefer to see whether the "fire in the middle" etymology is correct before starting to speculate !

JD

Albert (62.194.202.5)

Yes, I guess you're correct.. But where can one find out where the word 'pyramid' first appeared?

Albert

Christian Koussiounelos
Username: cck97

Just to set the record straight:

The ancient Egyptian term for pyramid is "mer". The English word pyramid comes from the Greek "pyramid", plural "pyramides", a word of doubtful etymology that was thought to have been derived from the ancient Egyptian "per-em-us", a term used in a mathematical papyrus to denote the vertical height of a pyramid. A purely Greek word "pyramis" means "wheaten cake", and a vague resemblance in shape may have prompted early Greeks to use it as a facetious designation of the
celebrated Egyptian monuments.

So the origin of the term is not entirely clear (as is true of most such ancient words and concepts). Even so, it definitely appears that the Egyptian pyramids were the first to bear this name, and the geometric concept of a pyramid must have been named after these particular examples of a right square pyramid.

- http://egyptologist.org/discus/messages/8/3480.html?1033506642

Quote:
The meaning of the word pyramid is "fire in the middle," derived from the Latin pyra (Greek pur ), meaning fire or light. What is this fire in the middle and how is it created?

- http://www.pyramidyoga.com/infopages/why-pyramid.htm

Quote:
In a recent PAX Cable Television Network Special that featured Christopher Dunn, the narrator stated that the origin of the word "pyramid" was unknown. Both academic Egyptologists and I would agree this statement is incorrect, but I would strongly disagree with most Egyptologists on the true origin of the word.

The word pyramid is derived from the Greek words PYRAMIS and PYRAMIDOS. The meaning of the word Pryamis is obscure and may relate to the shape of a pyramid. The word Pyramidos has been translated as "Fire In The Middle". This meaning is very interesting and I will return to it later.

Well known American Egyptologist Mark Lehner has stated that the ancient Khemitian term for pyramid was something he calls MR.Pyramid. Lehner bases this on his translation of MR as "Place of Ascension" following his belief that pyramids were tombs for kings and where the dead king's souls "ascended". But MR, usually written as Mer, is commonly translated as beloved, as in Meriamen (Beloved of Amen, The Hidden) or Meritaten (Beloved of Aten, The Wiser). Our indigenous sources tell us Mer meant "beloved" and had nothing to do with pyramid.

My Indigenous Wisdom Keeper teacher, Abd'El Hakim Awyan, states unequivocally that the ancient Khemitians used the term PR.NTR, Per-Neter, for pyramid. Per means "house" and Neter we have discussed in the previous article. Neter has been translated by Egyptologists as "God" or "Goddess" but we reject this mistranslation. In alignment with the indigenous tradition, we use the interpretation "House of Nature, House of Energy" for Per-Neter. The temple was Per-Ba (House of the Soul) and the tomb was Per-Ka (House of the Physical Projection) according to the indigenous tradition.

With this understanding of Per-Neter as House of Nature, I state categorically that no one was ever intended to be buried in a pyramid in its original intent! Even Mark Lehner has admitted that no evidence of an original burial in any of the major Khemitian pyramids has ever been found. Also no inscriptions or reliefs either depicting or stating that any king was ever buried in a pyramid have ever been found.

One of the main purposes of the Great Per-Neter was to generate, transform, and transmit energy. The Indigenous Wisdom Keepers of Egypt have provided us a concrete paradigm to support the power plant theory of Christopher Dunn. Although Egyptologists base their pyramid-as-tomb theories on the writings of Greek historians such as Herodotus, the Greek word Pyramidos is closer to the true meaning. Indeed, if we support Dunn's ideas that the energy reactions in the Great Pyramid took place in the so-called Queen's and King's Chambers, then certainly it was Fire In The Middle.

- http://www.gizapyramid.com/mehler-originword.htm

Quote:
The main structure in La Venta is a volcano-shaped pyramid over 110 feet tall.

- http://ebsms.wcs.k12.va.us/mexicotrip/patrick.htm

Quote:
One of the earliest pyramids known in Mesoamerica, the Great Pyramid is 110 ft (33 m) high and contains an estimated 100,000 cubic meters of earth fill. The current conical shape of the pyramid was once thought to represent nearby volcanoes or mountains, but recent work by Rebecca Gonzalez-Lauck has shown that the pyramid was in fact a rectangular pyramid with stepped sides and inset corners, and the current shape is most likely due to 2500 years of erosion.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Venta

Quote:
Another important archaeological site on Cerro de la Estrella is the Aztec New Fire temple. Cerro de la Estrella was known as "Huixachtepetl" ("hill of the huisache") in Aztec times. In the Aztec calendrical renewal ceremony known as the "New fire ceremony" priests observed the heavens from this temple every 52 years to determine if the world would be destroyed by the gods or saved for another 52 years. If the world was not to be destroyed, priests carried out a sacrifice and lit a new fire which was then carried to all towns in the Aztec Empire.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerro_de_la_Estrella

Quote:
The apex of the Pyramid coincides exactly with the notch on the upper part of the mountain, which lines up exactly with the Avenue. Because of this it seems that the pan-Mesoamerican belief that pyramids represent sacred mountains may have been an important factor in the planning of the ancient city.

- http://archaeology.la.asu.edu/teo/moon/moon.en/1/cityplan.en.html
0 Replies

fungotheclown

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 03:11 pm
I'm going to go ahead and try to steer this back on topic.

I see that there are three areas where one could argue religion is giving practical value.

1)Ethics

In this area I would argue that religion merely describes already existing moral precepts. People don't get a sick feeling in their stomach when the see a baby getting killed because their religion says they should, they do it for a whole host of evolutionarily implanted instincts that can best be summed up with "being good to other people is good". Therefore, religion doesn't have a place at this table.

2)Social

There are better ways to socialize. Ones that involve talking to other people instead of sitting in rows listening to one person (good job figuring this one on your own, btw Universalists).

3)Organization

Religion provides a useful means of organizing people behind charitable caues, but it comes with a lot of extra baggage. I think this can be and has been accomplished quite effectively without religion.

So, unless I'm missing something, we don't need religion for anything.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 07:55 pm
Re: Does religion have practical value?
Cyracuz wrote:
This question is primarily aimed at atheists and other critics of religion, but I welcome the input of anyone who has something to share.

Here goes:
Does religion have any practical value?

My motivation for asking this question is that I've noticed that in most debates over religion we discuss and argue wether or not god is real, what is true, and which religion- if any, is the right one.

Lets try and not turn this into a debate on wether or not god is real. For instance, I am pretty sure that most of us agree that the ten commandments are good values to uphold. For the record, I realize that they are not exclusively christian, and that all religions have them in one form or other.

I personally claim no religion. I feel that religion strips one of practical value. It is a vice of a sort. I don't believe religion serves much more purpose than to control people and confuse what Gods' whole intent and purpose was by creating. Religion has made the God energy more of the make believe satan image.
0 Replies