Does religion have practical value?

gungasnake

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 11:18 am
Quote:

Sure. It can keep you from looking like an idiot by believing in brain-dead ideological doctrines like evolutionism. That has to be worth something.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:12 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Quote:

Sure. It can keep you from looking like an idiot by believing in brain-dead ideological doctrines like evolutionism. That has to be worth something.

Please tell me you're not that naive.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:17 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
tiny

I am not attacking anything. I'm just asking questions.

In the US nearly half the population doesn't believe in evolution theory. They think it's a false theory and believe that the bible contains the true story. These people are working towards banning evolution theory in schools. Nuff said.

These religious nutjobs who think that the creationism crap needs "equal time" in public classrooms refuse/won't acknowledge that it should follow that any church who received federal dollars for "faith-based funding" or who receive tax breaks should therefore be required to teach Darwinism at Sunday School...

Equal time goes both ways. But I doubt we'll hear a squeak out of the Christians on this one. They don't want to admit they can't have it both ways.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:01 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Wow, Ashers, Coluber, Cryacuz, and JLN on the same post--if Fresco and Asherman were here we would we'd have a nearly full house.

Coluber I AGREE that what you call "pure perception" or preflective perception "before the imposition of the intellect" (the mental posture of zen meditation) is an essential, even defining, feature of "real" religion (re-ligare: to reconnect the individual with Reality).

To me, the literalism (belief in the fairy tales) of fundamentalism is not "religion".

Don't forget Kuvasz, JL. We could use him here.

Spirituality is manifested in many world religions, and though I agree that fundamentalism can and often does become negative, I can't dismiss it. For instance, Christian fundamentalism as represented by Jimmy Carter is expressed as humility and a recognition of the human condition and spirit in common with all sentient beings. However, as represented by the late Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson et al, sanctimony and intolerance seem to prevail. Literalism seems to drift toward tribalism by eliminating those who disagree with specific conditions of belief. For instance, many churches restrict gays from their membership. It seems that any church that restricts membership is tending toward tribalism. Am I right?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:21 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
coluber2001 wrote:
Hey, JL, nice to see you again.

I think that the term "religion" has been assigned a very narrow definition on this thread, so far at any rate. I don't discriminate between religion, spirituality or any of the other terms used to define this subject. I don't think that religion is synonymous with literalism, fundamentalism, or objectivism. I especially don't think that religion is particularly effective in its second hand form, that is, organized, but I think religion or spirituality goes hand in hand with a certain level of intellectual development.

That is not to say that the smarter you are the more religious you will be.

well said. regarding your sigline, it's nice to see einstein and campbell side by side. a bit of an exaggeration for campbell, but i know which one i can really relate to. i'm curious what you think of his work on the whole.

Campbell, along with Alan Watts and Krishnamurti, played a big role in the gelling of my spiritual quest. I found Campbell first in the TV series, "The Power of Myth" with Bill Moyers. The genius of Campbell is his ability to present and interpret myth after myth and interpret them as variations of a theme, the theme of consciousness, that all consciousness beings naturally create different stories expressing the enigma of life and consciousness. His clarity and lack of position (egolessness) would make him seem free from possible attack, though some still have attacked him, not through any fault of his own. He is as complete a totally realized man as I've ever heard of.

I don't know much about Einstein but ran across the quote, which seemed a good mystical expression. I don't think Einstein believed in the supernatural, but I doubt he was an athiest either.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:55 pm
stlstrike3 wrote:

These religious nutjobs who think that the creationism crap needs "equal time" in public classrooms.....

The way the question is often phrased is

Quote:

Should religion be taught on an equal basis as evolution in public schools?

The real answer is, only if the religion you choose is the RIGHT one.

In other words, in order to have an apples to apples comparison, you would need a religion which operated on an intellectual basis similar to that of evolutionism, and the only two plausible candidates would be Voodoo and Rastafari.

Rastafari in fact would lend itself rather admirably to certain kinds of team teaching situations; i.e. a teacher looking for a way to put 30 teenagers into something like the right frame of mind to be indoctrinated into something as stupid as evolution could simply walk across the hall to the Rasta class for a box of spliffs...

http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/media/Q-RastaFishWt.gif
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 03:13 pm
gungasnake wrote:
http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/media/Q-RastaFishWt.gif

when they start giving equal time to rastafarianism and creationism in school, i'll be all for giving time to the latter.

of course, if everyone is to stoned to care what the fundamentalists that reject evolution (in more ways than one) have to say, well, you rant about homosexuals and i'll listen to bob marley.

oh of course! equal time means equal time for satanism and homosexualism too, i assume that in the skewed mind of the fundamentalist, these are religions as much as science is. this gets better and better. 1:15, why microevolution is the only kind that exists, 1:16, we all get stoned, 1:17, rainbow parade and an informative lecture on rimming.

personally i think we should give the creationists what they're asking for. wait until they find out what they really wanted.

coluber2001 wrote:
The genius of Campbell is his ability to present and interpret myth after myth and interpret them as variations of a theme, the theme of consciousness, that all consciousness beings naturally create different stories expressing the enigma of life and consciousness.

i know, there are other people doing it now, but it's a legacy he's an enormous part of.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 06:19 pm
Don't get me wrong, I don't RECOMMEND Rastafari; I recommend Christianity. But if all you need is an alternative to evoloserism, Rastifari would do. Rastafari does not involve belief in endless sequences of outright zero-probability events as evolution does and has to be preferable.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:25 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I don't RECOMMEND Rastafari; I recommend Christianity.

and what a shining recommendation it is, too. hate everything different- don't ever look at things from another angle fantastic! yeah right, that's how jesus was...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 01:00 pm
Doesn't sound like you're considering Christianity very seriously.

Tell me, have you considered Rastafari? AS I noted, it isn't much, but it's a vast improvement over evolution(ism). In fact if all your friends and acquaintances were evolutionites and you were a Rastafarian, you'd rule.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 01:35 pm
i consider most things very seriously. what gets me is that you even talk about christianity, when it's something you're obviously and completely unfamiliar with.

jesus- ever heard of him? why is it that christians wave his name around and ignore his teachings, instead preferring to rid the world of anyone that violates leviticus? the only time jesus went on about leviticus like christians do was to say they take it too seriously, when they should be helping people instead.

that's the kind of christianity i take seriously, the kind that so-called christians like yourself seem to be blissfully unaware of, while humping the bible and condeming anyone that disagrees with them, blaming every sin in the world on them. great emulation, there. even leviticus doesn't say that everything is the fault of homosexuals, but you've rewritten the bible.

perhaps it's you that i don't take seriously, and you're confusing yourself with christianity.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:04 pm
Funny, I don't recall me saying anything about homosexuals here; what I've been talking about is evolution: do you have some reason to think that Jesus would have some use for a brain-dead ideological doctrine which has led to two world wars and tens of millions of dead bodies lying around?
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 08:50 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I don't RECOMMEND Rastafari; I recommend Christianity. But if all you need is an alternative to evoloserism, Rastifari would do. Rastafari does not involve belief in endless sequences of outright zero-probability events as evolution does and has to be preferable.

so, let's look at christianity as statistical probabilities...
what is the probability that someone can be killed and then rise from the dead?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 10:07 pm
more from the "religion has practical value" perspective: (note: only counts if music has practical value)

herbie hancock wrote:
Yeah. I mean, the cool thing is that jazz is really a wonderful example of the great characteristics of Buddhism and great characteristics of the human spirit. Because in jazz we share, we listen to each other, we respect each other, we are creating in the moment. At our best we're non-judgmental. If we let judgment get in the way of improvising, it always screws us up. So we take whatever happens and try to make it work. We try to make it fit. We try to enhance it.

I also realize now that there's an infinite way of looking at things. Sometimes you have to create a vision, a path for a vision. It may not be apparent and you may have to forge it yourself. And that will be the way to move your life forward.

he says that buddhism has inspired music, him, and made both greater: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/225/story_22533_1.html
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:53 am
USAFHokie80 wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

As a physical body: zero. As a spirit which would have appeared to witnesses AS IF in a physical body... If you go back far enough in time, say, a thousand years or so before the time of Christ, that was not uncommon.

One instance in the OT would be the story of Saul and the prophet Samuel and the witch of Endor, which is a sort of a ghost story.

Christ wasn't the first time anybody ever saw anything like that; he was the last.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 06:24 pm
gungasnake wrote:
USAFHokie80 wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

As a physical body: zero. As a spirit which would have appeared to witnesses AS IF in a physical body... If you go back far enough in time, say, a thousand years or so before the time of Christ, that was not uncommon.

One instance in the OT would be the story of Saul and the prophet Samuel and the witch of Endor, which is a sort of a ghost story.

Christ wasn't the first time anybody ever saw anything like that; he was the last.

So how is it that we know a "spirit" would appear to onlookers as a physical body? The bible is insufficient as proof here. Using the bible to support the story of the resurrection would be the same as allowing evolution to use itself as a basis of fact.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 07:10 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

...As a physical body: zero. As a spirit which would have appeared to witnesses AS IF in a physical body... If you go back far enough in time, say, a thousand years or so before the time of Christ, that was not uncommon.

So how is it that we know a "spirit" would appear to onlookers as a physical body? The bible is insufficient as proof here. Using the bible to support the story of the resurrection would be the same as allowing evolution to use itself as a basis of fact.

The same theme runs through much of ancient literature. In particular, old-kingdom Egyptians appear to have regarded the idea of dying about the way we'd view moving from D.C. to Baltimore; i.e. it didn't mean you weren't going to see the other person any more, just less often.

The Egyptian conception of "ka" contains a good bit of the answer to this one.

Dr. E. A. Wallis Budge on Egyptian notions of an afterlife, including statements about ka:

Quote:

Attached to the body in some remarkable way was the KA, or "double," of a man; it may be defined as an abstract individuality or personality which was endowed with all his characteristic attributes, and it possessed an absolutely independent existence. It was free to move from place to place upon earth at will, and it could enter heaven and hold converse with the gods. The offerings made in, the tombs at all periods were intended for the nourishment of the KA, and it was supposed to be able to eat and drink and to enjoy the odour of incense. In the earliest times a certain portion of the tomb was set apart for the use of the KA, and the religious organization of the period ordered that a class of priests should perform ceremonies and recite prayers at stated seasons for the benefit of the KA in the KA chapel; these men were known as "KA priests." In the period when the pyramids were built it was firmly believed that the deceased, in some form, was able to be purified, and to sit down and to eat bread with it "unceasingly and for ever;" and the KA who was not supplied with a sufficiency of food in the shape of offerings of bread, cakes, flowers, fruit, wine, ale, and the like, was in serious danger of starvation.

The soul was called BA, and the ideas which the Egyptians held concerning it are somewhat difficult to reconcile; the meaning of the word seems to be something like "sublime," "noble," "mighty." The BA dwelt in the KA, and seems to have had the power of becoming corporeal or incorporeal at will; it had both substance and form, and is frequently depicted on the papyri and monuments as a human-headed hawk; in nature and substance it is stated to be ethereal. It had the power to leave the tomb, and to pass up into heaven where it was believed to enjoy an eternal existence in a state of glory; it could, however, and did, revisit the body in the tomb, and from certain texts it seems that it could re-animate it and hold converse with it. Like the heart AB it was, in some respects, the seat of life in man. The souls of the blessed dead dwelt in heaven with the gods, and they partook of all the celestial enjoyments for ever.

Julian Jaynes saw ka as a bicameral voice personna or avatar. Images of Khnum (the Egyptian god who created people) which we find show him creating a man and the man's ka at the same time and some of these show the ka pointing to his mouth to signify the association with voice:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/icebear46/ka_voice.gif

Jaynes accepted an evolutionary model and viewed such bicameral phenomena as "auditory hallucinations"; nonetheless there is no way to picture entire societies being governed by systems of "auditory hallucinations" as Jaynes suggests. The phenomena were real.

There were several hundred witnesses who saw Jesus walking around for 40 days or so after he died on the cross. If Roman soldiers had seen a physical body of a crucifixion victim walking around a Roman province, and they would have, they'd have crucified him a second time and done whatever it took to ensure he stayed crucified.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 08:18 pm
gungasnake wrote:
USAFHokie80 wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

...As a physical body: zero. As a spirit which would have appeared to witnesses AS IF in a physical body... If you go back far enough in time, say, a thousand years or so before the time of Christ, that was not uncommon.

The same theme runs through much of ancient literature. In particular, old-kingdom Egyptians appear to have regarded the idea of dying about the way we'd view moving from D.C. to Baltimore; i.e. it didn't mean you weren't going to see the other person any more, just less often.

The Egyptian conception of "ka" contains a good bit of the answer to this one.

Dr. E. A. Wallis Budge on Egyptian notions of an afterlife, including statements about ka:

Quote:

Attached to the body in some remarkable way was the KA, or "double," of a man; it may be defined as an abstract individuality or personality which was endowed with all his characteristic attributes, and it possessed an absolutely independent existence. It was free to move from place to place upon earth at will, and it could enter heaven and hold converse with the gods. The offerings made in, the tombs at all periods were intended for the nourishment of the KA, and it was supposed to be able to eat and drink and to enjoy the odour of incense. In the earliest times a certain portion of the tomb was set apart for the use of the KA, and the religious organization of the period ordered that a class of priests should perform ceremonies and recite prayers at stated seasons for the benefit of the KA in the KA chapel; these men were known as "KA priests." In the period when the pyramids were built it was firmly believed that the deceased, in some form, was able to be purified, and to sit down and to eat bread with it "unceasingly and for ever;" and the KA who was not supplied with a sufficiency of food in the shape of offerings of bread, cakes, flowers, fruit, wine, ale, and the like, was in serious danger of starvation.

The soul was called BA, and the ideas which the Egyptians held concerning it are somewhat difficult to reconcile; the meaning of the word seems to be something like "sublime," "noble," "mighty." The BA dwelt in the KA, and seems to have had the power of becoming corporeal or incorporeal at will; it had both substance and form, and is frequently depicted on the papyri and monuments as a human-headed hawk; in nature and substance it is stated to be ethereal. It had the power to leave the tomb, and to pass up into heaven where it was believed to enjoy an eternal existence in a state of glory; it could, however, and did, revisit the body in the tomb, and from certain texts it seems that it could re-animate it and hold converse with it. Like the heart AB it was, in some respects, the seat of life in man. The souls of the blessed dead dwelt in heaven with the gods, and they partook of all the celestial enjoyments for ever.

Julian Jaynes saw ka as a bicameral voice personna or avatar. Images of Khnum (the Egyptian god who created people) which we find show him creating a man and the man's ka at the same time and some of these show the ka pointing to his mouth to signify the association with voice:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/icebear46/ka_voice.gif

Jaynes accepted an evolutionary model and viewed such bicameral phenomena as "auditory hallucinations"; nonetheless there is no way to picture entire societies being governed by systems of "auditory hallucinations" as Jaynes suggests. The phenomena were real.

There were several hundred witnesses who saw Jesus walking around for 40 days or so after he died on the cross. If Roman soldiers had seen a physical body of a crucifixion victim walking around a Roman province, and they would have, they'd have crucified him a second time and done whatever it took to ensure he stayed crucified.

So you want to use the mythical ideas of a polytheistic society as proof of your monotheistic religion - which, by the way, itself claims that the beliefs of the egyptians are untrue ?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 08:45 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:

....So you want to use the mythical ideas of a polytheistic society as proof of your monotheistic religion - which, by the way, itself claims that the beliefs of the egyptians are untrue ?

What I get for casting pearls before swine.....
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:09 pm
gungasnake wrote:
USAFHokie80 wrote:

....So you want to use the mythical ideas of a polytheistic society as proof of your monotheistic religion - which, by the way, itself claims that the beliefs of the egyptians are untrue ?

What I get for casting pearls before swine.....

Ah - of course - pearls... Or could it be that the bible is a work of fiction at best, and at worst a genious tool used by the few to enslave the many ?

Fine, let's suppose you're right - resurection was common-place in the day. So then what is the statistical probability of parthenogenesis? Then, I wonder what the probability that the very same person born of a single parent was also the one to be resurrected... hmmm...
0 Replies