Copyright amuck?

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:14 pm
My first reaction is 'yep!', especially with 2012...

What do you think?

[URL=ttp://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2186092,00.html]Link re book title foofuraw[/URL]

Comment
You can't use the O-word

Believe it or not, use of 'Olympic' could be barred under copyright law. And maybe even '2012'

David Edgar
Monday October 8, 2007
The Guardian

Take care. In reading this article, you may be in receipt of stolen goods. In fact, the organising committee for a certain upcoming sporting event has decided it would be "disproportionate" to prosecute the author of a book called Olympic Mind Games for breach of copy-right. But, under no less than two acts of parliament, it could if it wanted to.
When it discovered that Robert Ronson's children's science-fiction novel was to be published, the organising committee for the previously mentioned happening sent him an email asking that he should use neither the O-word nor the expressions "London 2012, or 2012 etc" in the title. The committee was able to do so under statutes passed in 1995 and 2006, which in effect turn all the elements of its title into a trademark.

In claiming copyright on a word, the organisation dedicated to the promotion of the competition to be held two years into the next decade is both following and extending a dangerous trend. As long ago as 1991, the official British artist of the first Gulf war, John Keane, faced protests and legal threats from the Disney corporation for having painted a picture of the devastation of a Kuwait beach which included a Mickey Mouse doll. Another British artist, David Haslam, faced legal action from the owners of the copyright on Noddy, and the American artist Rick Rush was taken to court for painting a picture of Tiger Woods. Both the Canadian mounted police and the Los Angeles police department sought to copyright their own logos, as OJ Simpson attempted to copyright his own name. A mock photograph in an art exhibition of Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed lookalikes cuddling a mixed-race baby was berated on the grounds of the infringement of copyright on her image. And Ofcom upheld long-haired, floppy-moustached 1970s athlete David Bedford's complaint against 118 118 for using two long-haired, floppy-moustached runners to advertise its directory inquiry service.
In several of these cases, corporations were acting to protect what they saw as their commercial interests. The email to Robert Ronson was written by the Olympic organising committee's manager of brand protection, concerned to "ensure that there was no confusion" as to whether the novel was "an official licenced product", presumably in case the committee seeks to declare Ian McEwan or Martin Amis official novelist to the 2012 Olympics at some point.

It's not just that the idea of copyrighting an entry in the English dictionary, or someone's face, haircut or name, is ridiculous. There is an issue of principle. By declaring images, titles and now words to be ownable brands, these various organisations and individuals are contributing to an increased commodification and thus privatisation of materials previously agreed to be in the public domain. For scientists, this constrains the use of public and published knowledge, up to and including the human genome. For artists, it implies that the only thing you can do with subject matter is to sell it.

As a consequence, people's view of what representation does becomes narrowly literal. Presumably, the Disney corporation felt that John Keane must have been either denigrating or exploiting its product when he used a doll on a beach to comment on the ironies of war. Similarly, painters, novelists and playwrights are attacked for representing Myra Hindley or Frederick West or James Bulger's murderers, on the grounds that to portray an action must be to promote it. Consulted by its British branch about the Olympic Mind Games case, the International Olympic Committee expressed two major concerns: that the word Olympic was used in the title of a work of fiction and that "there is no such thing as Olympic mind games". Clearly, the IOC hasn't grasped what the word "fiction" means.

Most expression involves reference to something real in the world. Most of our "experience" and indeed our "imagination" are formed from the image-making of others. Writers and other artists are rightly concerned about protecting their own copyright, but they should be equally concerned with the shrinking of the public domain. Ronson's refusal to be cowed into changing the title of his novel is a victory for the idea that there is more to free expression than the right to advertise.

ยท David Edgar is a playwright and president of the Writers' Guild [email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,812 • Replies: 21
No top replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:29 pm
"civil disobedience" isn't copyrighted yet, and it would be irrelevant if it was...

once something is in the public domain, it should stay there- and while derivatives can be copyrighted, the individual pieces taken for it are not. if i use a piece of music from the public domain in a copyrighted anthology, i can't sue anyone for copying the public domain work. there are fuzzy areas however- a photograph of a painting that is in the public domain Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:29 pm
So, imagine the popularity of the games if the media couldn't use the word Olympics. Not much, I would guess
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:32 pm
Well, Vancouver's got the 2010 Olympics and the Vancouver Organizing Committee (VANOC) served notice to a pre-existing pizza parlour (they'd been around for over 20 years) named Olympia Pizza that they'd have to change their name Smile

What an uproar it caused! They interivewed the old man owner on the radio and tv and he was asking why he should be sued for having the name first and it wasn't even "olympic", it was "olympia"... anyway, people phoned, wrote, and emailed all the news outlets and VANOC dropped the case (to my knowledge).

Kerazy! Who do they think they are? They just came out with ticket prices - $775 for a ticket for the gold medal hockey round... is that nuts or what?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:38 pm
Quote:
Who do they think they are? They just came out with ticket prices - $775 for a ticket for the gold medal hockey round... is that nuts or what?

apparently, they think they are the eagles...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:46 pm
Back when I lived in LA, there was a hair salon named Sassoon's. Well, the guy's last name was Sassoon. Yes, he was sued (or suit threatened, I don't remember) and had to change it.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:53 pm
http://drmcninja.com/mcdonalds/mcd4.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 05:05 pm
I couldn't get that to open, tinyg, but it may just be me and my machine.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 05:10 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
Quote:
Who do they think they are? They just came out with ticket prices - $775 for a ticket for the gold medal hockey round... is that nuts or what?

apparently, they think they are the eagles...

Or Hannah Montana! Cool
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 05:11 pm
ach, it's the last panel of the 4th (comic) image down: http://drmcninja.com/mcdonalds.html

i had the same problem with the link, a while after i'd visited. blame referrers or something. after the page loads, the original link will work (if you can't find the part i was trying to show.)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 05:42 pm
Another case in Vancouver involved a woman who loved Robert deNiro, or his movies, and she opened a restaurant, called it deNiro's, and had loads of his photos all over.

His lawyer threatened her with a lawsuit if she didn't change the name. So, she did.

I would have been flattered.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 05:46 pm
And who could forget this?

"Article - Vancouver Sun - HaidaBucks - FYI
Byline: Scott Simpson
Outlet: Vancouver Sun
Headline: Starbucks demands HaidaBucks change
Page: D1 / Front
Date: Wednesday 16 April 2003
Source: Vancouver Sun

A modest restaurant in remote Haida Gwaii is reeling under the threat of
a major lawsuit after retail coffee giant Starbucks decided that the
eatery's aboriginal-linked name poses a threat to its plan to dominate
the international java market.

HaidaBucks Cafe in Masset, a Queen Charlottes village with a population
of 700, was warned last month by a Vancouver law firm acting for Starbucks that it must change its name or wind up in court, and was advised Tuesday that a formal notice of litigation is in the mail."
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 05:52 pm
So what happened, Tai?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 05:55 pm
Haidabucks won!

(edited multiple times because I'm computer illiterate)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 06:20 pm
Yay! I hope Starbucks had to pay Haida's legal fees.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 06:51 pm
Re: Copyright amuck?
David Edgar wrote:
In fact, the organising committee for a certain upcoming sporting event has decided it would be "disproportionate" to prosecute the author of a book called Olympic Mind Games for breach of copy-right. But, under no less than two acts of parliament, it could if it wanted to.... The committee was able to do so under statutes passed in 1995 and 2006, which in effect turn all the elements of its title into a trademark.

Very sloppy reporting -- I would expect better from the Guardian. Clearly, the author is confusing copyright with trademark. Indeed, he does so explicitly here.

Copyrights and trademarks are two entirely different things. A word can't be copyrighted. So "Olympics" can't be copyrighted, but it can be trademarked.

David Edgar wrote:
As long ago as 1991, the official British artist of the first Gulf war, John Keane, faced protests and legal threats from the Disney corporation for having painted a picture of the devastation of a Kuwait beach which included a Mickey Mouse doll. Another British artist, David Haslam, faced legal action from the owners of the copyright on Noddy, and the American artist Rick Rush was taken to court for painting a picture of Tiger Woods. Both the Canadian mounted police and the Los Angeles police department sought to copyright their own logos, as OJ Simpson attempted to copyright his own name. A mock photograph in an art exhibition of Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed lookalikes cuddling a mixed-race baby was berated on the grounds of the infringement of copyright on her image. And Ofcom upheld long-haired, floppy-moustached 1970s athlete David Bedford's complaint against 118 118 for using two long-haired, floppy-moustached runners to advertise its directory inquiry service.

Mickey Mouse: trademark, not copyright.
Noddy: I have no idea who "Noddy" is (aside from an A2K member), but this is probably trademark, not copyright.
Tiger Woods: right of publicity, not copyright (or trademark).
RCMP and LAPD logos: trademarks, not copyrights.
OJ Simpson's name: probably trademark, not copyright.
Princess Diana lookalike: right of publicity or trademark, not copyright.
David Bedford lookalike: right of publicity, not copyright.

David Edgar wrote:
It's not just that the idea of copyrighting an entry in the English dictionary, or someone's face, haircut or name, is ridiculous.

Well, of course it's ridiculous, because those things can't be copyrighted.

David Edgar wrote:
For scientists, this constrains the use of public and published knowledge, up to and including the human genome.

No, the human genome may be subject to patent (which is something else entirely), but it can't be copyrighted.

This guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Which is excusable for members of the general public, who constantly get copyright and trademark (and patent) mixed up. But it is inexcusable for someone who is writing for a respected newspaper about copyrights and who should know the difference.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 07:06 pm
Thanks, JoefChi.

I do have a Chicago problem...

the fellow who did the Bean, guessing, Amirai Shapoor or similar name?

There's some onus, as I may remember, on photoing that....

Are you aware of that or any controversy about it?

I have a freaking problem with people in a public space not being able to photo a f.k public sculpture, but --- I can understand intellectual property as a concept.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 08:15 pm
I heard Paris Hilton was trying to patent her latest stupid saying: "That's Hot!"

How do you patent words, for crying out loud?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 10:13 pm
patent nonsense
joefromchicago wrote:
Which is excusable for members of the general public, who constantly get copyright and trademark (and patent) mixed up. But it is inexcusable for someone who is writing for a respected newspaper about copyrights and who should know the difference.

maybe the word "patent" has been copyrighted and (since he works for the paper) he can't get away with using it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 07:56 am
ossobuco wrote:
Thanks, JoefChi.

I do have a Chicago problem...

the fellow who did the Bean, guessing, Amirai Shapoor or similar name?

There's some onus, as I may remember, on photoing that....

Are you aware of that or any controversy about it?

I have a freaking problem with people in a public space not being able to photo a f.k public sculpture, but --- I can understand intellectual property as a concept.

I recall a minor dust-up when the city announced that no one could sell or otherwise commercially exploit images of the sculpture. People mistakenly assumed that the city was banning all photographs of the sculpture. That's not the case. It's the same mistake the author of the Guardian piece made when he thought that the IOC's trademark on the term "Olympics" meant that no one could actually write or say that word.
0 Replies