[closed]Downtime forecast, moving the site and releasing 2.0

Letty

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 06:56 am
Exactly where do I go to ask help for an A2Ker who can not get into this forum.

BoGoWo can not log in for some reason.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 06:59 am
This is a good spot. Can you give any specifics as to what problems or error messages he has?

Also, we're still in the transition period for when all the information providers and search engines recognize the new and improved A2K clothes. Craven was predicting that by the end of Monday, most of it should be resolved.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:00 am
Downtime
When I'm having trouble logging in I go to an old notification and click on the link. Once I'm there I don't seem to have any problem moving n to other posts...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:09 am
Think of it as a huge filing cabinet with several drawers full of folders containing posts. Now picture what happens if you were to paint the outside of the cabinet a different color. The contents of the filing cabinet drawers and folders remains the same.

If you don't tell the file clerks about the new color of the filing cabinet they won't be able to locate it to help you retrieve posts in the files. You send out an email to all the filing clerks but it takes a short period of time before all of them get the news of the change. Until they all read the email there is a slight bit of confusion in locating the filing cabinet.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:11 am
The site seems to be working just fine this morning and is much faster. Of course, I just upgraded to XP which works better with Explorer 6.0 (I had downloaded the browser with Windows ME and it was very erratic). I'm trying out NetZero's dial up high speed right now and the verdict is till out (still waiting for DSL in my area as the cable sucks -- they oversold the server).
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:19 am
Letty wrote:

The Forum Help section is designed for reporting problems.

butterflynet, the issue when moving a website to another computer involves domain name servers (DNS) updating their IP address info, not search engines.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:20 am
Letty wrote:

BoGoWo can not log in for some reason.

Tell him to send a note to Support. That address should be working. Thanks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 09:39 am
Tell them to wait for DNS to propagate. Patience, it's the largest database on earth and it's distributed. It takes time for the changes to spread throughout the web.

Don't have them send a message to us because there is absolutely nothing we can do about this.

We have no control over the hundreds of thousands of DNS servers and all we'd do is explain how they need to wait.

If they go to www.able2know.com/forums/ and see "Able2Know is being moved.." in the title of the browser then they are seeing the old server. They might see new posts and all but that's just because a frame on the old server is framing the IP address of the new one.

Untill they stop seeing that they should just be patient. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 10:00 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Untill they stop seeing that they should just be patient. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

Absolutely right ... and unfortunately, the ones who most need to realize that are the very ones who will fail to grasp the concept. That's life, I guess.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 10:03 am
Well, I erased the whole drive on the old server so any people who are still using the old DNS will just get a 404 page and will ahve to wait till the propagation reaches them.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 10:34 am
One thing I forgot to explain: The reason we shouldn't be contacted by email is because if the DNS changes haven't caught up to you yet you might be sending emails to our old server. Since that server is cancelled the emails wouldn't reach us anyway.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 01:21 pm
Damn, I was just locked out for 15 minutes while some DNS server somewhere (nah I dinna do a traceroute) was updating.

I tried complaining to myself but I told me that I would have none of it and would not take any guff. I was firm but loving with myself and explained how I couldn't help me because my problems were out of my hands.

So I was patient, and then I got in. And now Ise giving duble intender.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 03:51 pm
Craven, are we having an identity crisis?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 03:52 pm
No, they are.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 03:56 pm
Tweedledee and Tweedledum
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:39 pm
Hey, if I spent we spent the last few days doing what Craven has done, I am sure that we would not only have an identity crisis, but a major league hissy fit! Laughing

Hey, you're OK Craven. I personally will not take umbrage over a little, shall we say, peculiar behavior on your part. You've earned the right! :wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 04:42 pm
I had to give myself tough love. If I don't straighten myself out who will?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 05:05 pm
Can I try? My love shall be tough indeed - just try that crap with ME, young man, I shall say, when you complain about yourself - GO TO YOUR ROOM!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 05:07 pm
releasing # 2 - i keep thinking that's got something that needs a laxative.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 08:11 pm
Thanks Craven for all this work. It's working fine for me now. It hasn't always, but now it is. Very nice. Only one question. Will the "return to top of page" or whatever it said return? I liked that feature. Just askin......
0 Replies