Vinyl tile over sheet vinyl???? HELP!!

JgRick

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 11:11 am
I installed a vinyl tile floor over sheet vinyl in our kitchen. It turned out beautiful. My wife loved it. It has since became a nightmare!! The tile have started moving around. We have had some move as much as 1/2" before I would heat it up and slide it back in place. Some have moved so often that I finally resulted in putting a couple really small wire nails to stop them from moving. As you can imagine we are no longer so happy with the looks of out tile. We tried to get it clean before we layed the tile. At least as clean as it can get with sweeping and mopping. what did I do wrong? Should I have painted the old vinyl with some sort of prep or primer? An even bigger question now is, what is the simplest way to fix my floor? I am disabled so I hate the thoughts of having to scrape up the old sheet vinyl. I could probably get the tile up by warning them up. I am at a loss!!
Rick
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 951 • Replies: 3
No top replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 11:26 am
Vinyl tile glue takes a long time to fully cure...a very long time...years often. If you smear it on top of existing sheet vinyl {linoleum} the curing time increases greatly...I doubt it will ever cure...get stiff enough to deal with it before your new floor is destroyed.

Sorry to say, but yeah, probably gonna have to pull up the new floor, and then the old floor, and start over. You could put down a very thin underlayment on top of the old floor to avoid scraping it up, and then lay the new floor on top of that....but that in itself can be a pain for the DYI'er.

Sometimes the old floors come up fairly easy, depends on a lot of things, what they are stuck to, how thick the vinyl is, how well it was installed...etc. And then again, I have spent days scraping one up as well.

Did you try a test spot to see how well it was stuck?
0 Replies

JgRick

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 11:46 am
Yes I did test it and it was stuck very good! That is why I now have tile floating on it! LOL
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 11:59 am
They say you can do that...lay VCT over sheet goods...but I wouldn't even try it. If I have a VCT question I usually go to Armstrongs site....I'll look it up...

http://www.armstrong.com/resflram/na/tile/en/us/article17689.html

That's the FAQ page.

"Can I install 12" X 12" tiles over an existing vinyl sheet floor?

Yes. We recommend no more than two layers of vinyl flooring at a time unless the flooring is on concrete, below grade. If that is the case, we do not recommend installing a second layer of flooring. In other situations, if you already have two layers, we suggest you put down new wood underlayment before installing your tiles. If you have only one layer of vinyl, prepare the floor with Armstrong One-Part Embossing Leveler, to prevent the old vinyl pattern from telegraphing through the new pattern of tile flooring."
0 Replies