Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:18 pm
I went to a pumpkin-patch and bought a "white cheese-cake" pumpkin. They said it is the best for making pies. Last night I cut it open, and the flesh was a light orange with a mold-colored green spread throughout. Is that the color they are supposed to be? I cooked it and it turned almost more green than orange. As it cooled, I noticed little white balls, ranging in size from almost un-detectable to about the size of the head of a pin. Does anyone know if this is normal for white pumpkins?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,977 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:28 pm
pumpkins are an anomaly of nature and you will die if you eat of their meat.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:48 pm
I've never made a pie from a white pumpkin, although I've grown them. They do get a green veining in their flesh. I don't know if there is a problem with what you've got, but I can't image it's going to look very tasty.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:27 pm
How does the cooked pumpkin taste?
0 Replies

rainbyrd77

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 10:51 am
I didn't really dare taste it. It smelled like any other pumpkin.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 10:59 am
It is possible that it just wasn't fully ripe and the white balls you noticed are immature seeds.

The greenish stuff doesn't sound good. Are you just describing the color with the word "mold" or was the texture like mold? I'd follow the tried and true maxim of all good cooks. "When in doubt, throw it out."
0 Replies

foodGobbler

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 12:50 pm
I absolutely love holiday cooking! I recently tasted a home made pumpkin pie made from a REAL (orange) pumpkin for the first time. I'm not saying store bought is bad, but there was a big difference in taste to me. Hmm...white pumpkin...that's gotta be an interesting recipe...where did you pull that from?
0 Replies

rainbyrd77

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 04:49 pm
Just a rumor
I've been using real (orange) pumpkins instead of a can for years. I don't like the canned pies at all. This year when I went to the pumkin patch, they had a sign on the white pumpkins that said, "The best pumpkins for baking!!!". So I bought one. Now I'm just trying to find out if that's normal or not. But apparently, no one knows.
0 Replies